USB ports on Xbox One preventing power for System Updates.

Discus and support USB ports on Xbox One preventing power for System Updates. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I know this sounds really weird. Over the past week my Xbox One has needed to do 3 system updates for around 400mb each. Each time my console needs an... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Desolis SR, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Desolis SR
    Desolis SR Guest

I know this sounds really weird. Over the past week my Xbox One has needed to do 3 system updates for around 400mb each. Each time my console needs an update, my console will not turn on if I have my external USB Hard Drive and my Astro's mixamp plugged
    in. When I press the power button I hear a click sound as if the power chime tried to activate and failed. With the external HD unplugged and the mixamp plugged in (also with the mixamp powered off) it plays half of the chime and dies out. With both of them
    unplugged the system powers up normally, and every time I've have this issue, the console needed a system update. If the console doesn't need an update, it boots fine every time and runs perfectly. This only started about 2 weeks ago when I needed an update,
    and as stated before I’ve now done 3 of them in 2 weeks.

This is an earlier console, from a Titanfall bundle, but has never had an issue with updates even with those two devices, until 2 weeks ago.

So what could be the issue here? How can two unpowered USB plugs drawing 100% of my consoles power only when my console needs an update? My power brick and its lights seem to be functioning normally, even when it won’t start, it’s only those USBs that prevents
    my console from booting. Any Ideas?

:)

Desolis SR, Nov 21, 2017
  2. Is it a possibility?

It is a custom shaped USB 3.0 port coupled with a power port.

"Though the port for the Kinect on Xbox One is proprietary, this is no different from the original Kinect. The port on the 360 slim supplied both power (Kinect’s power requirements are greater than what a standard USB port can supply) and a USB 2.0 connection.
    For Kinect 2.0, it’s power + USB 3.0."

Dangerous Alan, Nov 21, 2017
  3. maxen
    maxen Guest
    Xbox Controller Update With Mirco Usb not working properly

You may want to try the following:

Remove the batteries from the controller;

Attach the USB cable to it;

Attach the other end to the USB port on the left side of the console (not rear);

Try again to start the update.

If that does not work, try power cycling (support.xbox.com/.../power-cycle-console) the console and then try the update again.

maxen, Nov 21, 2017
  4. Desolis SR
    Desolis SR Guest

Same problem keeps occurring. Just now I went to boot up my Xbox after a couple days, and my controller just kept pulse vibrating. The console wouldn't boot up, so i unplugged the USBs again and it boots up, and tells me to do ANOTHER 386mb update. How has
    the console needed this many system update within a month??

Desolis SR, Nov 27, 2017
  5. Desolis SR Win User

Same problem keeps occurring. Just now I went to boot up my Xbox after a couple days, and my controller just kept pulse vibrating. The console wouldn't boot up, so i unplugged the USBs again and it boots up, and tells me to do ANOTHER 386mb update. How has
    the console needed this many system update within a month??
  6. Internet Expert Win User

Try Another USB port or cable

Are you on Preview system updates (Insider Program)?

Are your hard drives powered externally, or through the USB port?

Are your hard drives connected to a USB hub instead of directly into the Xbox USB ports? (hubs may possibly cause the connection to be "weak")
  7. maxen Win User

Xbox Controller Update With Mirco Usb not working properly

You may want to try the following:

Remove the batteries from the controller;

Attach the USB cable to it;

Attach the other end to the USB port on the left side of the console (not rear);

Try again to start the update.

If that does not work, try power cycling (support.xbox.com/.../power-cycle-console) the console and then try the update again.
  8. TMX boxburn Win User

USB gadgets!

As long as the USB devices are not trying to modify the console in any way then they are fine. The most a USB fan will do is suck some power out of the console and will not warrant you a ban. Just remember not to plug in multiple power draining devices into
    a single USB port to prevent damage to the port or the console.
  9. Dangerous Alan Win User

Is it a possibility?

It is a custom shaped USB 3.0 port coupled with a power port.

"Though the port for the Kinect on Xbox One is proprietary, this is no different from the original Kinect. The port on the 360 slim supplied both power (Kinect’s power requirements are greater than what a standard USB port can supply) and a USB 2.0 connection.
    For Kinect 2.0, it’s power + USB 3.0."
Thema:

1. USB ports on Xbox One preventing power for System Updates. - Similar Threads - USB ports preventing

2. Is there a bug or defect with the xbox series usb ports and wired controllers?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there a bug or defect with the xbox series usb ports and wired controllers?: My Xbox S is acting strange lately, my controller is always plugged into my xbox and today it was working and then right in the middle of the game. It just turned off so I unplugged it then...
  3. Xbox series S usb ports

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series S usb ports: will the USB ports on an xbox s charge and after market controller charger? - Thanks b862a6af-26d0-4991-a64d-cb80420b758a
  4. How can I fix the USB port on the Xbox series X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How can I fix the USB port on the Xbox series X?: My USB port is not working. eb61813a-29d9-401d-9798-10dd411f2927
  5. Do Microsoft manufacture USB Hub ports for the Xbox Series S by any chance?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Do Microsoft manufacture USB Hub ports for the Xbox Series S by any chance?: Do Microsoft manufacture USB Hub ports for the Xbox Series S by any chance? 78a1bc49-9177-478b-926a-a93163056d03
  6. Xbox controller not receiving any power through USB C port

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox controller not receiving any power through USB C port: Hi all, So I have a series x/s controller that I've had for a while now that I mainly use on my pc by connecting it with a USB C cable but a few days ago it didn't turn on, I've tried connecting...
  7. usb ports

in XBoX on Consoles
    usb ports: sometimes when i play i get hyped and i pull my controller toward me whille plugged into the usb port so it pulls tge console toward me .. does that damage the port ? i know it could damage it but...
  8. Why does all three of my USB ports keep turning off and on again when the xbox is on?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does all three of my USB ports keep turning off and on again when the xbox is on?: It's as if all three USB ports just cut out. Which is a major inconvenience if I'm playing a game on an external hardrive or using a wired controller. All of this whilst my xbox is turned on btw....
  9. Usb port issue. Xbox series x.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Usb port issue. Xbox series x.: I’ve been using all 3 ports on my Xbox series x for about a year now. I have a steelseries apex pro mini keyboard, Razer basilisk v3, and steelseries arctis pro all plugged into my Xbox....
  10. How can I buy components to repair defective usb 3.0 port on my Xbox one s

in XBoX on Consoles
    How can I buy components to repair defective usb 3.0 port on my Xbox one s: I'm trying to repair my usb port on the front of the Xbox. I've contacted Xbox support twice and so far have been ignored. I was able to chat with Microsoft support and was told it was possible to...