Unable to use optical output on Xbox One X

Discus and support Unable to use optical output on Xbox One X in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I have an Xbox One X connected to a gaming monitor that has built in speakers (which are horrible). However, the monitor does NOT have any audio... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by TheArticWombat, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Unable to use optical output on Xbox One X

I have an Xbox One X connected to a gaming monitor that has built in speakers (which are horrible). However, the monitor does NOT have any audio outputs. I have a speaker setup that supports optical inputs.

My Xbox One X is running the latest version. When I go into Settings -> General -> Volume & Audio Outputs and try and set HDMI Audio to Off and Optical Output to anything (besides off) I get the following error:

Choose different settings

Xbox Series S and X HDMI audio cannot be turned off. On other consoles, either optical or HDMI audio must be on.

0x80bd0009

If you turn off HDMI and turn on optical (select "close" from the above error) and leave that screen and return the settings are reset.

This is an Xbox One X and this feature should work!

:)

TheArticWombat, Nov 25, 2021
  2. SwordofWhedon Win User

All outfits are active at the same time, simply turn your TV volume to zero
  3. Eletricdrum Win User

Hi, my name is Fernando and I am an independent consultant for Microsoft products.

Did you set the HDMI audio to "Off," and your Optical Audio to "Bitstream Out" ?

Check the following link with useful information:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-ne...
  4. DeathFace Dad Win User

S/Pdif to RCA Audio Adapter for Xbox One

Xbox One has 2 outputs - one HDMI and one Optical Audio (s/pdif). HDMI carries both audio and video. But if you want to send your audio to a receiver that does not have HDMI inputs, then you can use the optical output from Xbox One. PS4 is exactly the
    same.

And William is right - if you try converting HDMI to DVI, you will lose the audio on both Xbox and PS4 (unless you are using the separate optical output for audio).
  5. Zacabeb Win User

Digital Audio and the Xbox 360E

Actually it seems they ditched the optical output on the Xbox 360E, relegating Dolby Digital to the HDMI output. I don't know why they did this given the remaining need for it and that they put an optical output on the Xbox One.
  6. fathom667 Win User

When will 5.1 via Optical Audio be available for Xbox One?

Is there any work in Progress to provide us the 5.1 Sound via optical Output on the xbox one?
Thema:

1. Unable to use optical output on Xbox One X - Similar Threads - Unable optical output

2. Xbox unable to update to newest Insider update, offline update fails too. Alpha & Alpha...

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox unable to update to newest Insider update, offline update fails too. Alpha & Alpha...: Hey all, having a huge issue with both my Xbox Series X's. When I try to update normally, this occurs every single time no matter what. https://i.imgur.com/rOkodS9.jpeg When I attempt to do the...
  3. Unable to sign in to account for xbox live

in XBoX on Windows
    Unable to sign in to account for xbox live: Attempting to log into fortnite, for last 5 days, it says unable to log into your account for xbox live. Try later. Tried everything so far & no luck. Any suggestions?...
  4. I am unable to add UPI as Payment Method

in XBoX on Windows
    I am unable to add UPI as Payment Method: Hello, recently I bought an Xbox Game Pass and used UPI as the payment method. However, to my surprise, on the day of its renewal, my UPI account was automatically deleted, and now I am unable to...
  5. Xbox series s unable to connect to xbox network

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series s unable to connect to xbox network: Logged off the console last night everything was fine. This morning its unable to connect to the network. Tried doing a console reset (power cycle) and then tried a reboot. Now it wont load up as...
  6. Was unable to get a refund for a gifted game that wasn't even played

in XBoX on Windows
    Was unable to get a refund for a gifted game that wasn't even played: Gifted a friend a game not compatible with their Xbox. Tried to get a refund, denied because the game has been "played or consumed" it hasn't due to my friend not even being able to access it...
  7. Unable to place order

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to place order: For the past few days I've been trying to order a custom controller through the design lab everytime I check out it keeps saying Unable to place order I made the controller using the favorite...
  8. unable to launch java

in XBoX on Windows
    unable to launch java: i just downloaded minecraft java edition on my laptop (windows 11) and have run into an issue launching the game. when in try to launch the game i am given this message Unable to locate the Java...
  9. unable to reset home xbox - tried the exception and it extended the ban by three months....

in XBoX on Consoles
    unable to reset home xbox - tried the exception and it extended the ban by three months....: One child changed home xbox to a friend's (different house). Now younger sibling cannot access all features while older one is using xbox. Used up 5 changes. Tried to do the help thing where you...
  10. Minecraft Java unable to be verified

in XBoX on Consoles
    Minecraft Java unable to be verified: I have minecraft on Xbox Gamepass, i've downloaded it and the launcher, when i click play i have to create a username but when i do i get an error saying i need to be signed in with the same...