Unable to use chat headset and HDMI surround sound on OneX and SeriesX

Discus and support Unable to use chat headset and HDMI surround sound on OneX and SeriesX in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; How do I use HDMI surround sound (dolby digital or atmos) AND a chat headset attached to my controller? I have Series X connected to LG CX OLED and... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by sagggas, Jan 6, 2022.

1. sagggas
    sagggas Guest

How do I use HDMI surround sound (dolby digital or atmos) AND a chat headset attached to my controller?

I have Series X connected to LG CX OLED and then audio out from TV to Vizio Atmos Sound bar (5.1.4). I also have a One X connected to a Denon 6500X surround receiver (Atmos 5.2.4) and then to an LG C8 OLED. All via HDMI 2.1 compliant cables.

There has been an ongoing issue for all Xbox One and newer users where if you output HDMI audio (Dolby Atmos via bitstream) to your surround sound system, it breaks when you hook up a mono headset to your controller. Up until recently (~Dec2020 console update), you could still use Dolby Digital out via Bitstream (or uncompressed 5.1/7.1 - bitstream no longer listed in the UI, but I assume bitstream is the method) when the headset was plugged in, but the December 2021 Xbox system update broke Dolby Digital and uncompressed 5.1/7.1 as well. Now when playing with friends, I am relegated (as is everyone else) to stereo output from the Xbox to my sound systems. This happens on both my One X and my Series X. In fact, there is now a new pop-up in Audio settings when you plug in any headset that states that your audio experience is now enhanced for headsets - meaning they don't give a damn that you potentially spent thousands of dollars on home theater. Dolby Digital and Atmos are still visible in the audio out drop down, but they don't work - usually get some bogus error about having an HDMI audio connection.

I posted about the Atmos problem a while back but gave up because of no love from MS. Now, all surround formats to external speakers are broken. Please, if you've experienced similar issue reply and share your story.

@MS support staff who might read this. Please, if you have a fix, please make sure you run thru the steps before posting. I'm pretty sure I tried every setting combination already. The MS support person I spoke to yesterday (2x they dropped and didn't call back) had me reset my console. No behavior change from that scripted response except for the usual inconvenience in getting my home page, apps, and settings back to normal.

:)

sagggas, Jan 6, 2022
  2. sagggas Win User

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me again. I wasn't sure if you needed something else from me.

What I have done, though, is order a 'mono' adapter that has the same markings as my headsets. I also did some research into how the plugs work. Since I'm not an audio engineer, I didn't understand it all, and it made me question my interpretation of mono/stereo/mono+mic, etc. Can you ask the Xbox team how they define 'stereo' when it comes to the headsets and their associated plugs? Even though the marks on the plug for the adapter I ordered this week match the markings on the plugs for my existing mono earpiece + mic, I'm not confident it will work.

If you look at the pictures I previously posted:

My current mono earpiece + mic have 2 rings on the plug's barrel

My current 2.5 to 3.5mm adapters have 3 rings on the plug's barrel

The adapter I just ordered has 2 rings on the plug's barrel

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01D2EU9PQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I just noticed the adapter I ordered says 'Stereo' and '2 RINGS, WITHOUT MIC FUNCTION, NOT FOr XBOX Products'. You can probably see why this is confusing. What I need to understand is what mono adapter/headpiece I need to buy for HDMI audio out to work according to the current Xbox specifications. Or if its broken, will the engineers be able to fix it?

Anyway, I'll test them when they get here. Let me know if you need anything else from me.

Thanks!
  3. XBF John Win User

When I say working as intended, I mean that it is working as it was designed to work - not necessarily a reflection on the expectations of the user, but the expectation set when the execution of the systematic functions occurs.

I asked: "If a user is trying to use a mono headset for chat and wants game audio through their surround sound system to still play Dolby Atmos or DTS through HDMI output while its connected, is that possible?"

The answer:

• A Mono headset that is only used for chat/party and does not change the audio settings selected by the user. So, if a user chooses Dolby Atmos for home theater, the audio will continue to be in Atmos.
    • Only a stereo Headset will switch it.
    • Additional Edit: if the system recognizes the headset as a mono headset no audio setting changes, and it can only be used by chat.
    Is the screenshot you shared in your report what appears when the headsets you have pictured earlier in the thread are plugged in? Are those headsets made for any kind of gaming aspect or are they just standard headsets for use on different devices? And on the Headset Audio are their additional options that open for the audio? This setting specifically:

[​IMG]

Thank you,

John
  4. sagggas Win User

Hi John,

I've pasted your most recent here and replied in green.

Thank you. And to be clear so that I can make sure I am understanding correctly, the behavior you're expecting is that when plugging in a mono headset it is for not just chat but to pass game and chat audio to the headset? No, ideally, only chat audio goes to headset, but I'm ok if game and chat come thru as long as the current game/chat balance slider is available. I move the slider all the way to chat so no game audio comes thru the headset.

or is the mono headset only meant to pass chat while the surround sound system continues to cast game and console audio and is switching the TV/Surround sound audio from its settings? Like I mentioned above, I'm flexible with how it's implemented. The main requirement is that if any headset is plugged into the controller, it does not automatically turn off audio out via HDMI to my TV/Surround. Plugging in a headset should still allow Dolby Digital, DTS, Atmos, etc. to flow thru HDMI via ARC, eARC, or direct to a receiver.

Thus when unplugging the surround sound system works as intended but does not work as intended when a mono headset is plugged in. I don't understand this comment. The Xbox does not work as expected when a headset is plugged in because surround sound is no longer passed out via HDMI. If no headset is plugged in, the Xbox will pass surround sound out via HDMI as I expect it to.

With the sony headset are you trying to pass all sound through the headset? or through the headset and the surround sound system? I don't use the Sony headset normally. I only tested it so I could provide you an additional data point and to demonstrate that the Xbox turns off HDMI audio out whenever ANY headset is plugged into the controller.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or comments.
  5. sagggas Win User

Hi XBF John,

It's been 3 months since I've heard back from you, and I've been dealing with the problem for more than 6 months. Is this issue still being investigated?

Please update the thread. As I mentioned, this behavior is the same for all my Xbox friends.

Thanks
  6. SwordofWhedon Win User

You need to re-open the Dolby app and re-go through set up To reestablish your license
Thema:

1. Unable to use chat headset and HDMI surround sound on OneX and SeriesX - Similar Threads - Unable chat headset

2. Unable to install Minecraft Launcher

in XBoX on Windows
    Unable to install Minecraft Launcher: I tried to install the new 1.20.5 version of Minecraft and it kept crashing, so I uninstalled the launcher and now trying to re-install it won't work. I've: 1. Restarted my PC several times 2....
  3. Xbox one unable to turn my roku tv off

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one unable to turn my roku tv off: So ive recently switched tvs and i usually have my xbox turn the tv on and off because it saves me time and focus and the roku tv does not respond to the inputs, so i was wondering if its possible...
  4. Xbox Series X Error 8015190E - Unable to sign into Xbox live backwards compatible 360 games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Error 8015190E - Unable to sign into Xbox live backwards compatible 360 games: I've been getting a 8015190E error code within the past week when attempting to sign into a 360 backwards compatible game on my xbox series X. I attempted hard reseting my Xbox, changing my DNS...
  5. I am unable to load into Fortnite yet have full connectivity from Wifi.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I am unable to load into Fortnite yet have full connectivity from Wifi.: I have been trying to load into fortnite for over an hour. I appear to be having an issie with my wifi yet my xbox states all tests are able to be passed, connection tests, internet speed tests,...
  6. Xbox series X Unable to record gameplay since April 13 update

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox series X Unable to record gameplay since April 13 update: I regularly record my gameplay for Youtube purposes, but since the weekend of April 13th i am no longer able to record gameplay. I can record 1 or 2x but after that the recording will instantly...
  7. Since the update on April 10th/11th, unable to record any game clips

in XBoX on Consoles
    Since the update on April 10th/11th, unable to record any game clips: Hi, Since update 10.0.25398.4086 (xb_flt_2404zn.240402-1830), my Xbox One is not able to record anything. [Description of how it looks] When I try to record, sometimes I get a pop up saying...
  8. I am unable to hear my game chat audio but I can hear party chat and game audio

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    I am unable to hear my game chat audio but I can hear party chat and game audio: For a while now I am unable to hear my game chat audio. I have checked my setting in both games and in Xbox setting and the problem still wasn't fixed. 6b7552b3-0fce-4c14-bdef-973eae50e9da
  9. Xbox chat call back not working (response is: Were unable to process your request. Please...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox chat call back not working (response is: Were unable to process your request. Please...: I have a faulty xbox, purchased as a Christmas present, the orser was with Microsoft direct. The order email confirmation does not provide a service link to report a problem and the online chat...
  10. How to fix being unable to talk or hear in xbox party chat on Windows?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How to fix being unable to talk or hear in xbox party chat on Windows?: I haven't had any problems yesterday but today when I joined a party I was unable to hear other members and they were unable to hear me. This doesn't occur in other apps like discord or in game...