Unable to switch hard drive used for Xbox app game downloads on Windows 11

Discus and support Unable to switch hard drive used for Xbox app game downloads on Windows 11 in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I bought Xbox Game Pass Ultimate earlier today, and have been unable to switch the hard drive downloaded in from my C:/, or my SSD, to my D:/, which I... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Lucas Argroves, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Unable to switch hard drive used for Xbox app game downloads on Windows 11

I bought Xbox Game Pass Ultimate earlier today, and have been unable to switch the hard drive downloaded in from my C:/, or my SSD, to my D:/, which I use for larger files such as games. In the general game install options in the Xbox app on pc, the option to switch to the D drive is there, but after hours of troubleshooting, restarting, changing administrative permissions, clicking the button to switch it to that drive does nothing, as well as changing the folder to one in the D drive prompting me with a message saying that it is not in the C drive, and therefore is unable to install to it. I need to be able to switch to the D drive because it is the only drive with reasonable storage available on it, and cannot functionally use the time I have with Game Pass because of this issue, how can I resolve this?

:)

Lucas Argroves, Mar 15, 2023
  2. Lucas Argroves Win User

Starting from clean boot and trying to rename it, after checking for updates, still does not let me rename it, still showing that it is in use by something else. The folder name of "WindowsApps" implies that something is open that has to be open. What else can I do?
  3. Rostom L Win User

4. Rostom L Win User

I am glad to know about that. Before you delete the old WindowsApps folder, make sure to try and play all your installed games from the Xbox app. If everything works normally and no missing data or progress, then it should be all good.
  5. Rostom L Win User

That's odd. Let's try other steps instead.

Go to your C drive directory. Make sure to show your hidden files. Look for the (.gamingroot) file. If you can see that, copy & paste it to D drive (don't put it inside a folder). Then on D drive create a folder named "XboxGames". Once done, restart your PC and try installing a game to D drive.
  6. Sajjad (2K18-ITC-149 Win User

It still won't let me rename it even after I run a clean boot and check for updates, saying that it is now being used by another process. The existence of the subdirectory "WindowsApps" implies that a necessary application is already running.
Thema:

1. Unable to switch hard drive used for Xbox app game downloads on Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Unable switch hard

2. Xbox series X unable to detect 5Ghz Wifi

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X unable to detect 5Ghz Wifi: Hello, I just bought an Xbox Series X and I found out that i am unable to find 5Ghz under wifi. Ive read some forums i need to put Bandwith 40 or above and switching between Network Mode....
  3. Xbox unable to update to newest Insider update, offline update fails too. Alpha & Alpha...

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox unable to update to newest Insider update, offline update fails too. Alpha & Alpha...: Hey all, having a huge issue with both my Xbox Series X's. When I try to update normally, this occurs every single time no matter what. https://i.imgur.com/rOkodS9.jpeg When I attempt to do the...
  4. Unable to sign in to account for xbox live

in XBoX on Windows
    Unable to sign in to account for xbox live: Attempting to log into fortnite, for last 5 days, it says unable to log into your account for xbox live. Try later. Tried everything so far & no luck. Any suggestions?...
  5. I am unable to add UPI as Payment Method

in XBoX on Windows
    I am unable to add UPI as Payment Method: Hello, recently I bought an Xbox Game Pass and used UPI as the payment method. However, to my surprise, on the day of its renewal, my UPI account was automatically deleted, and now I am unable to...
  6. Xbox series s unable to connect to xbox network

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series s unable to connect to xbox network: Logged off the console last night everything was fine. This morning its unable to connect to the network. Tried doing a console reset (power cycle) and then tried a reboot. Now it wont load up as...
  7. Was unable to get a refund for a gifted game that wasn't even played

in XBoX on Windows
    Was unable to get a refund for a gifted game that wasn't even played: Gifted a friend a game not compatible with their Xbox. Tried to get a refund, denied because the game has been "played or consumed" it hasn't due to my friend not even being able to access it...
  8. Unable to place order

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to place order: For the past few days I've been trying to order a custom controller through the design lab everytime I check out it keeps saying Unable to place order I made the controller using the favorite...
  9. Unable to switch account through xbox app

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to switch account through xbox app: I am unable to switch accounts. I have 2 accounts on my PC, my main email which is alt gaming and my alt email which is main gaming. The Xbox app will only allow me to sign in to my alt gaming as...
  10. Why am I unable to join minecraft nintendo switch world

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why am I unable to join minecraft nintendo switch world: Hello, I am trying to join my sister's minecraft world she plays on switch and I play on xbox she can join my world but I can't join her world I have tried restarting my xbox doing a power cycle...