Unable to change Gamertag via Web or Console

Discus and support Unable to change Gamertag via Web or Console in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; For the past 6 days I have been attempting to change my Gamertag on an account that I've had since 2006... but regardless of trying on multiple... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Grae Fawks, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Grae Fawks
    Grae Fawks Guest

For the past 6 days I have been attempting to change my Gamertag on an account that I've had since 2006... but regardless of trying on multiple browsers/machines and even on my Xbox console, the gamertag does NOT change. I haven't changed my GT since the new system was introduced a few years ago, so have a 'Free Change' available.

When I go to https://social.xbox.com/changegamertag, I get a message that says:

"Since this is your first gamertag change with the new system, we are giving you a freebie. But after that, you may have to pay for it.

1. I enter the unique username in the Your New Gamertag field (eg: XboxOne) and hit Check Availability
    2. The next screen shows XboxOne is unique & available (without a suffix). I click the option that says Confirm Gamertag Change
    3. I get a popup box that asks for final confirmation that I want to change as I won't be able to change back, and I select Change Gamertag.

(Note: 'XboxOne' is used as an example only and is not what I am trying to change it to)
    Nothing happens after I've done this. The screen does not show any sort of confirmation message, and the pop-up box remains on screen yet my Gamertag remains as it was. I can press the Confirm button repeatedly and nothing happens. I refresh the page to try again:

1. I still have the same statement about this being the first change with the new system, so it shows that my previous request had not completed properly. I re-enter the unique username in the Your New Gamertag field and hit Check Availability.
    2. This time, the username does not show as unique and now has a suffix after it (eg: XboxOne3133).
    3. I do not confirm the change, as I want the gamertag without a suffix.
    4. If I return back 30 minutes later and try the entire process again, the Gamertag goes back to showing XboxOne (without the suffix) so I assume the GT is reserved for a short period until the process completes (which it never does).
    I have tried this on 3 different machines with 3 different browsers (9 separate sessions) multiple times and via my mobile phone -- all give the exact same result.

If I try to do the change on my Xbox via the Profile customisation screen, I get a similar issue - except this time I get an error that says "Sorry, something went wrong. Please try and change your Gamertag again" with no other information. The rest of the process mirrors the above.

I called Microsoft support who confirmed that the Gamertag I was trying to claim was 100% unique and unclaimed and that there were no issues with it being a banned phrase (etc), but cut me off when I trying to delve in to what the issue was. I requested a call back via the Help Page 3 further times (getting cut off each time with no attempt from them to re-establish the call) and cannot request another call back as 'You have reached the limit for a call back, try again tomorrow' despite not receiving an answer to my question.

It was Microsoft who dropped the call all 4 times as my phone tells me when the other person has hung up - very poor customer service, so I am forced to write it here for a resolution. What stings is the last agent I spoke to, I told them I kept getting cut off and she promised to call me back if it happened on that call... of course, she didn't bother. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do other than speaking to Microsoft Support again, who have been as useful as a chocolate teapot in all honesty.

Additional Information

• I first attempted to change my GT on Monday 27th February. The problem has continued since then.
    • Xbox Live status shows GREEN on the Gamertags subsection, stating everything is operational.
    • I have tried this process on Edge x3, Firefox x2, Opera x1, Chrome x2 & Safari x1 across 3 separate machines to rule out a dodgy browser session.
    • I have logged out of my account and back in on all devices. All sessions show my existing Gamertag, and not the one I am trying to change to
    • I have tried to do this via my Mobile Browser via a cellular network to rule out an issue with my home network (admittedly clutching at straws here).
    I appreciate any and all replies, but have tried to give as much detailed information as possible to limit any generic responses asking me to 'reset my console' etc as I have seen on similar posts. This appears to be a problem on Microsoft's end rather than on mine and I would really appreciate some help with this.

:)

Grae Fawks, Mar 5, 2023
  2. iRayDawg Win User

Console was stolen. Anyway of tracking it??

Unfortunately there is no way of tracking it, however if you believe that your gamertag maybe being used that was on that console you can delete it via xbox.com or contact Xbox Support via phone or through the web chat.
  3. XBF Javier R Win User

My Gamer Tag is set automaically and cannot change it

Hello there,

We thank you for bringing this inquiry to our forums community, and understand that this concern comes from not being able to replace your current Xbox Live gamertag.

Are you unable to change the gamertag from other locations such as on an Xbox One console, or maybe even a different web browser? Please attempt to follow our
    how to change your Xbox gamertag support article.

Clarify this information for us and we'll be here awaiting your reply.

Best wishes!
  4. Mister Cazador Win User

Cannot change gamer tag.

Hi there PikaZilla, thanks for reaching out and we're sorry to hear about the frustrating experience.

To check, are you able to
    change your gamertag via a web browser
    as directed on that page or do you still experience error messages?
  5. Smwutches Win User

I’m vary disappointed 😔

Yes, you can change your gamertag via the console.
  6. LoDown247 Win User

Can't change gamertag

Have you tried doing the change via the web site instead on the console? I would give that a try as well as adding the caps to the name.
Thema:

1. Unable to change Gamertag via Web or Console - Similar Threads - Unable change Gamertag

2. My home xbox - Unable to save changes

in XBoX Accessibility
    My home xbox - Unable to save changes: hello I cant set my account "HOME" When 'set this console as home Xbox' it says that it is Unable to save changes I have 5/5 SWITCH LEFT, this is first time use my account on new XBOX SERIE X and...
  3. home Xbox' it says that it is Unable to save changes

in XBoX Accessibility
    home Xbox' it says that it is Unable to save changes: hello I cant set my account "HOME" When 'set this console as home Xbox' it says that it is Unable to save changes I have 5/5 SWITCH LEFT, this is first time use my account on new XBOX SERIE X and...
  4. Unable to change/edit privacy settings

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to change/edit privacy settings: I have been trying to change my privacy settings as i am attempting to use a client for Minecraft. But the system detects that i am using a child account and redirects me to the page stating that...
  5. Unable to change profile name on Minecraft Java edition

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to change profile name on Minecraft Java edition: I am writing to request assistance with a username change on my Minecraft Java account. Currently, my username is 'focusngl,' and I would like to change it to '.' However, during the change...
  6. unable to change xbox privacy settings

in XBoX Accessibility
    unable to change xbox privacy settings: Starting from https://account.microsoft.com/privacy?fref=home.drawers.privacy.privacy-dashboard&refd=account.microsoft.com on the "Privacy settings in our products" section clicking on the Xbox...
  7. MY HOME XBOX - Unable to save changes

in XBoX Accessibility
    MY HOME XBOX - Unable to save changes: hello I cant set my account "HOME" When 'set this console as home Xbox' it says that it is Unable to save changes I have 5/5 SWITCH LEFT, this is first time use my account on new XBOX SERIE X...
  8. Unable to get free Gamertag change

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to get free Gamertag change: Was told that “I updated my gamer tag” from 15 years ago. 15years that went unused by the way and that was where I used my 1 free gamer tag change. Although my old tag was not mentioned during...
  9. Unable to change Gamertag for free for the first time.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to change Gamertag for free for the first time.: Hello I’m trying to change my gamertag for the first time, apparently you can do this once for free. When I select my new name and confirm that I am told it’ll cost me £7.99 Not sure why, I’ve...
  10. Unable to change gamertag on website

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to change gamertag on website: Hi there, I'm having trouble changing my Gamertag by going to https://social.xbox.com/changegamertag. After I've signed in with OAuth it just shows the background screen and nothing else. (see...