Unable to change Gamertag and haven't had any success with support.

Discus and support Unable to change Gamertag and haven't had any success with support. in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; I'm at my wits end with Microsoft support and looking for advice on how to get my Gamertag changed, because what really should be a trivial issue is... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Scjohnson1988, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Unable to change Gamertag and haven't had any success with support.

I'm at my wits end with Microsoft support and looking for advice on how to get my Gamertag changed, because what really should be a trivial issue is driving me crazy. Here's my issue: I just want to change my gamertag. The complication is that whenever I attempt to do so, I just get looped on the gamertag page. I have tried everything I can think of:

* Multiple browsers (Firefox, Chromium Edge, old Edge, IE, Chrome, etc.) on Windows 10, Windows 11, and on an Android phone on multiple networks (home, work, LTE/cellular, and VPN). Cache cleared. Extensions turned off. All the obvious stuff has been tried, and it's all just a big ole loop.
    * I have been trying to change my Gamertag since roughly November of 2021 on and off, so it's certainly not time related
    * I can enter gibberish as the gamertag, but it'll still loop - whatever Gamertag I attempt to use will have no impact on the attempted change
    * I have gone through every single sort of toggle and switch in the various privacy menus and everything else that has been asked of me by support at one time or another
    * The gamertag page says I still have a "free" gamertag change, but honestly, I'd happily pay money just to get this fixed from the time it's taken
    * I do not have an Xbox anymore, so I have to change my account online. I

have gone through MS support chat and called into Microsoft either 5 or 6 times now. Most of the time, I have to spend a bit of time entering my info, going through the obvious troubleshooting steps over and over with each customer suppot rep, and then ultimately they put me on hold and tell me to wait. The one time I finally got escalated on the phone to the more senior technical team, they said "the system is down" and they cannot help me and told me to try again another day. They didn't offer any way to expedite the process either, so I go all the way back to dealing with another new MS support rep. Most of the reps I ahve spoken to have told me that they're going to elevate my request and contact me via email within 5 days. I have yet to receive a single follow-up communication. Not a single time. I've tried providing two different emails and I diligently checked the spam filter too - I just never got a follow-up at all. The most frustrating part of this is that I saved a ticket number of one of my requests, and when I finally convinced someone to look it up, they said it had been closed. It was reference number 1530035898 if anyone has the ability to check those. I feel like at this point I've wasted well over 10 hours of my life trying to change my gamertag.

As for the issue itself, I am fairly certain the problem is due to an illegal character in my gamertag, which is "| Hans |" with two pipes (|). You can't use a pipe in a gamertag anymore, but there were no such restriction at the time when I created that specificGamertag. If I open Chrome Dev Tools, I see my request return a 400 error page. The error message is "{"source":"Accounts","code":1372,"description":"The gamertag belongs to another user","data":null,"traceInformation":null}". This error message says the gamertag is already in use, but even if I enter gibberish to get a totally unique name, I'll still get this same error code. I have also seen an error message indicating "code":1024,"description":"Another operation conflicted with your request". I also created an album showing the loop and error pages. Sorry for the low rez on the video, but I included screenshots at higher res that show essentially the same thing: https://imgur.com/a/H6FWRnr

I'm just out of ideas as to what to do next. I just want to change my gamertag, and it's proving to be a nearly insurmountable task. I don't care if I have to pay for it, or even if I have to change it to a temporary tag and then pay to change it once more to a tag I actually want. Does anyone have any tips or hints to point me in the direction in a way I can take care of this?

:)

Scjohnson1988, Nov 12, 2022
  2. Scjohnson1988 Win User

Hello ,

We highly appreciate for your time and patience.

Our Back support team still investigating the issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Geri M.

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
    Understood. I'm in email contact with someone as well. I appreciate letting me know that the issue is still being looked at. Thanks!
  3. Geri M. Win User

Hello Scjohnson1988,

We highly appreciate for your time and patience.

Our Back support team still investigating the issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  4. Geri M. Win User

Hello Scjohnson1988,

We totally understand your concern right now and would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you. Our support team is now investigating the issue. We will get back to this post for any updates.

Thank for your understanding and appreciate for the patience.

Kind regards,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  5. Geri M. Win User

Hello Scjohnson1988,

We hope you are doing well today.

As we have isolated your case, our internal support will continue to assist you till you can get the resolution of the issue.

For the meantime we will be closing this thread now, If you have any other concern aside from this you may post it here. Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com)

[​IMG]

Once again, thank you for posting Xbox Community Forum.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  6. Geri M. Win User

Hello Scjohnson1988,

We appreciate for confirming that someone is now contacting you through email. Please feel free to keep update on this post for us to know as well.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
Thema:

1. Unable to change Gamertag and haven't had any success with support. - Similar Threads - Unable change Gamertag

2. My home xbox - Unable to save changes

in XBoX Accessibility
    My home xbox - Unable to save changes: hello I cant set my account "HOME" When 'set this console as home Xbox' it says that it is Unable to save changes I have 5/5 SWITCH LEFT, this is first time use my account on new XBOX SERIE X and...
  3. home Xbox' it says that it is Unable to save changes

in XBoX Accessibility
    home Xbox' it says that it is Unable to save changes: hello I cant set my account "HOME" When 'set this console as home Xbox' it says that it is Unable to save changes I have 5/5 SWITCH LEFT, this is first time use my account on new XBOX SERIE X and...
  4. Unable to change/edit privacy settings

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to change/edit privacy settings: I have been trying to change my privacy settings as i am attempting to use a client for Minecraft. But the system detects that i am using a child account and redirects me to the page stating that...
  5. Unable to change profile name on Minecraft Java edition

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to change profile name on Minecraft Java edition: I am writing to request assistance with a username change on my Minecraft Java account. Currently, my username is 'focusngl,' and I would like to change it to '.' However, during the change...
  6. unable to change xbox privacy settings

in XBoX Accessibility
    unable to change xbox privacy settings: Starting from https://account.microsoft.com/privacy?fref=home.drawers.privacy.privacy-dashboard&refd=account.microsoft.com on the "Privacy settings in our products" section clicking on the Xbox...
  7. MY HOME XBOX - Unable to save changes

in XBoX Accessibility
    MY HOME XBOX - Unable to save changes: hello I cant set my account "HOME" When 'set this console as home Xbox' it says that it is Unable to save changes I have 5/5 SWITCH LEFT, this is first time use my account on new XBOX SERIE X...
  8. Unable to get free Gamertag change

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to get free Gamertag change: Was told that “I updated my gamer tag” from 15 years ago. 15years that went unused by the way and that was where I used my 1 free gamer tag change. Although my old tag was not mentioned during...
  9. Unable to change Gamertag for free for the first time.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to change Gamertag for free for the first time.: Hello I’m trying to change my gamertag for the first time, apparently you can do this once for free. When I select my new name and confirm that I am told it’ll cost me £7.99 Not sure why, I’ve...
  10. Unable to change gamertag on website

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to change gamertag on website: Hi there, I'm having trouble changing my Gamertag by going to https://social.xbox.com/changegamertag. After I've signed in with OAuth it just shows the background screen and nothing else. (see...