The Xbox app will not allow me to change storage devices

Discus and support The Xbox app will not allow me to change storage devices in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; To put it simply, my laptop doesn't have much storage, so I obtained an additional 2.5 SATA HDD. I was going to download Forza Horizon 5 when the Xbox... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Sawyer Hollis, Feb 25, 2023.

1. The Xbox app will not allow me to change storage devices

To put it simply, my laptop doesn't have much storage, so I obtained an additional 2.5 SATA HDD.

I was going to download Forza Horizon 5 when the Xbox app alerted me to low storage on the C drive, and it instructed me to the setting where I was given the option to change my storage device.

When I go to select the drive, for a split second I am given additional options, but then it reverts back to the main C drive.

I have formatted this drive, deleted all files on it, etc. I even attempted to install Forza Horizon 5 on the drive from another laptop, but the issue persisted.

The aforementioned hardware

Drive: Toshiba MK3275GSX HDD

Primary Laptop: MSI GF63 Thin

Secondary Laptop: HP 15t-da100

Both Laptops are running Windows 11

:)

Sawyer Hollis, Feb 25, 2023
  2. Sawyer Hollis Win User

Additional Thing:

I have a 1 TB SSD arriving in the mail sometime next week, If issues aren't resolved by then, I will attempt the same thing with the new SSD.
  3. EzequielNeves19 Win User

WD Black external drive only reading as media player

Hello CJS how are you?
    My name is Ezequiel I'm an Independent Consultant. To use external storage with Xbox games and apps, your hard drive must:
    Have 128 GB or more
    Connect via USB 3.0/3.1
    When you connect for the first time, Xbox asks you to format your device. You can use it in Xbox games and apps, or other personal media like photos, music, and videos. (Xbox will treat devices that do not meet the above requirements as media storage.)
    Note Formatting a USB drive will erase all data on the USB drive.
    Once the device has been formatted and you have entered a custom drive name, you will be asked if you intend to use the external drive primarily with that specific console or if you intend to use the drive with multiple consoles.
    Choosing to use the unit primarily on a specific console allows the unit to automatically check for updates.
    Choosing to use the drive on multiple consoles disables the external drive's ability to automatically update your games and apps. However, you can still manually update games from My Games & Apps.
    To change this behavior at any time, go to My Games & Apps > Manage > Storage Devices, select the device you want to change, press the A  button, and switch to the setting that works best for you.
    If Xbox doesn't recognize your external drive, go to:
    Troubleshooting External Storage Detection on Xbox
    If you cancel formatting when connecting a storage device, you can configure it later:
    Press the Xbox  button on your controller to open the dashboard, then select Profile & System > Settings > System > Storage.
    Select your device and then Format.

https://support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/storage/manage-storage
  4. Alliance United Win User

Moving Windows Games to New Hard Drive SSD?

Hi,

Can you check your settings to see if this allows new apps from the store to be download to the selected storage device you added: Settings>Storage>new apps will save to: (choose drive)

Hope this helps :)
  5. RainingRoses Win User

how to download onto internal instead of external

Hi,

These steps apply to both Xbox One and Series X|S consoles, exactly the same method for both.

Go to Settings > System > Storage devices > Internal storage and select “Install here by default”, then when asked to confirm - select “Install new things here” to save the changes.

If you’re installing a game to a storage device without sufficient space, then the console would automatically ask you to make enough space or install the game to a hard drive that has all the required storage available.

You can also change the capture location (where your in-game clips and screenshots are saved). To change this, select your storage device and select “Set as capture location”. The capture location can be the same default storage device for games and apps - Internal or external, but not both at the same time.

There’s also options to move or copy games and apps between storage devices.

If the change to the default location doesn’t immediately take affect, then restart your console and try the steps again if needed. Be sure to wait at least 10-15 seconds before reconnecting the power to completely

reset the power supply

Just to add, you also can backup settings, and transfer games and apps to your external hard drive to manage multiple items at once. The other option “network transfer” allows other Xbox consoles on the same network to copy your installed games and apps. These options can be found in System settings > Backup & transfer.

Here is a guide to manage storage on Xbox One and Series X|S consoles:

Manage storage on your Xbox console | Xbox Support

Hope this helps :)
  6. ClausReich Win User

Some games unable to download to secondary drive

Hello DavidIordachescu! I'm Claus, an Independent Microsoft Community Consultant for Xbox! Glad to be able to help you!

Let's try to change the default installation storage device for the Microsoft Store. You can also try to install games through the Xbox app, which should allow you to select which drive you want to install the game to. If on the Xbox app it doesn't detect your HDD, then follow these steps:

1. Open Windows 10 Settings.

2. Select System from the menu.

3. In the menu on the left, select Storage.

4. Now, under More storage settings, click Change where new content is saved.

5. Select your new default location.
Thema:

1. The Xbox app will not allow me to change storage devices - Similar Threads - app allow change

2. My xbox one will not allow me to delete the save files from my game & app menu. What do I...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My xbox one will not allow me to delete the save files from my game & app menu. What do I...: My xbox one will not delete saved files from my game & app menu. I followed what the guidelines suggest and every time I reboot or restart my files are still there....
  3. The YouTube app on my Series X won't allow certain videos to play. The screen goes black...

in XBoX on Consoles
    The YouTube app on my Series X won't allow certain videos to play. The screen goes black...: The YouTube app on my Series X won't allow certain videos to play. The screen goes black and nothing happens. I can play these videos on my phone, TV and tablet with no problem. I do NOT have...
  4. Xbox App keeps closing and not allowing Forza 4 instalation

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox App keeps closing and not allowing Forza 4 instalation: Does anyone else have issues installing Forza 4???? When trying to download it says it's done instantly and then when hitting "play" it forces closes the Xbox App. I have done Xbox repairs...
  5. Xbox app on Windows 11 will not allow switching of accounts, automatically signs in to the...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox app on Windows 11 will not allow switching of accounts, automatically signs in to the...: So I recently installed windows 11 and setup the PC with primary account A. When I went to use the xbox app the account had automatically signed in. I went to sign out and sign in to the correct...
  6. Xbox Series S doesn't allow audio passthrough on Netflix and YouTube app

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S doesn't allow audio passthrough on Netflix and YouTube app: Hello, When Xbox Series S audio is set to output uncompressed stereo with Passthrough enabled, Netflix and YouTube apps output uncompressed stereo instead of Dolby digital plus such as Disney+ or...
  7. Unable to play game that is under allowed apps

in XBoX Accessibility
    Unable to play game that is under allowed apps: My account has a certain game that, while above what I am normally allowed to play by my restriction settings, is under allowed apps and I have played before. Now I am no longer able to download...
  8. xbox px app not allowing any interaction?

in XBoX on Windows
    xbox px app not allowing any interaction?: i've just wiped my pc to (unsuccessfully) address bluetooth issues. up until the wipe, the xbox app had been working just fine, no issues whatsoever. since wiping, i've tried downloading the app...
  9. Xbox App on PC won't allow me to change my installation location to my D: Drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox App on PC won't allow me to change my installation location to my D: Drive: Recently I have purchased Xbox Game Pass on my Windows 11 PC however I cannot change my installation to my D: Drive and get the drive issue "D: - This drive isn't formatted as NTFS. (it is NTFS)...
  10. I trying to change payment account for Xbox PC app account but it wont allow me to add...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I trying to change payment account for Xbox PC app account but it wont allow me to add...: It prompt for business account or school account only. Why? [img] deb90c40-4018-4b12-9795-8636a96ee459