The A button registers but doesn't activate anything, help

Discus and support The A button registers but doesn't activate anything, help in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; The following apply to both controllers (I have two) Sometimes, just because it seems, I can't do anything on my Xbox One because the controller A... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Maimframe, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Maimframe
    Maimframe Guest

The following apply to both controllers (I have two) Sometimes, just because it seems, I can't do anything on my Xbox One because the controller A button doesn't activate anything. Everything else on the controller works but when selecting an item (parameters,
    or a game, tv, whatever, anything) and pressing the A button the item is indeed "pressed" but it releases and nothing happens, the A button does obviously work but the Xbox refuses to honor the click and just does nothing. THIS IS REALLY ANNOYING, it seems
    very stupid to me, the kinect sees me, recognize me, the controller is assigned to me, I rebooted to console, the controller...

:)

Maimframe, Jan 2, 2014
  2. my a button registers me pressing it but does nothing help

when ever I press the a button it registers it being pressed but then does nothing ive tried re starting my xbox, re-connecting my controller, and turning the power off to it all together but yet the a button doesn't work.

SlickCalf114813, Jan 2, 2014
  3. gds1972
    gds1972 Guest
    my a button registers me pressing it but does nothing help

Hi

Can you please try a hard reset on the console by pressing and holding the power button on the front of the console for 5-10 seconds, Once the console has powered off please remove the power cable from the wall outlet for two minutes.

Hopefully doing this will resolve your problem.

gds1972, Jan 2, 2014
  4. Maimframe
    Maimframe Guest

Bump for much needed answer

Maimframe, Jan 3, 2014
  5. I've got this exact same issue.

The only immediate solution I found was turning the console off via the front (which without kinect or a working a button is the only way) and then turning it back on using the controller.

Turning the console on by swiping the front and then connecting the controller is the only way I've found to consistently avoid this.

Did you find a permanent solution.

Alteran Amelius, Feb 6, 2015
  6. The Feb update didn't fix this. I can tell you that much. Just happened to me now. Hard Booted the system.

WilliamLohrberg, Feb 7, 2015
  7. Hey, guys! I'm sorry to see any issues you may be having with your controller! This thread is over a year old. If you need further assistance, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting you've completed. This way our
    community can get you the individual support that works best on the forums. The A button registers but doesn't activate anything, help :)

Misses Quinzel, Oct 31, 2018
  8. Misses Quinzel Win User

Hey, guys! I'm sorry to see any issues you may be having with your controller! This thread is over a year old. If you need further assistance, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting you've completed. This way our
    community can get you the individual support that works best on the forums. :)
  9. Alteran Amelius Win User

I've got this exact same issue.

The only immediate solution I found was turning the console off via the front (which without kinect or a working a button is the only way) and then turning it back on using the controller.

Turning the console on by swiping the front and then connecting the controller is the only way I've found to consistently avoid this.

Did you find a permanent solution.
  10. Maimframe Win User

Bump for much needed answer
  11. WilliamLohrberg Win User

The Feb update didn't fix this. I can tell you that much. Just happened to me now. Hard Booted the system.
  12. jrw6502 Win User

XBox One controller eating/masking inputs?

I'm pretty sure at this point the issues with the A button is a hardware failure, as the controller frequently just doesn't register an input when the button is pressed. This is really visible when you have to press two buttons at once, such as A and X,
    to perform two independent actions simultaneously, and only the X input does anything. It might take several presses before the A button does anything.

Regardless of what the issue really was, I can't test anything further until I get a new controller, as this one is definitely broken. The hinge on the right trigger broke (doesn't prevent use, just makes it feel gritty), I'm having issues with the A button
    as described above, the d-pad is registering double/triple inputs (makes menu item selection quite the chore, especially when the software developers make the menu reset to the start when accidentally navigating to a different menu), and the USB port won't
    hold the cable anymore.
Thema:

1. The A button registers but doesn't activate anything, help - Similar Threads - button registers doesn't

2. Xbox Accessories app on PC, No Firmware update button for my Xbox Series X Enwired...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Accessories app on PC, No Firmware update button for my Xbox Series X Enwired...: The Firmware version on my Xbox Series X controller is 1.3.139.1125 I needed a Firmware update because my controller kept turning my screen black then back to normal and the controller being...
  3. Share button no longer takes screenshot with xbox controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Share button no longer takes screenshot with xbox controller: I reinstall a fresh windows two days ago and the share button on my xbox controller no longer take screenshots. I try reinstalling the game bar, checked the policies related to gameDVR still...
  4. Im having problems with my xbox elite core controller. My bottom left paddle button when i...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Im having problems with my xbox elite core controller. My bottom left paddle button when i...: Is there any way to resolve this issue? b9dd45c2-10df-4372-b52d-05338aeaeb89
  5. Xbox 360 Guitar Hero Equipment as Homebrew Buttons

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox 360 Guitar Hero Equipment as Homebrew Buttons: Hello there, i am new to all things adaptive controller. So sorry if this question has already been asked or If it is stupid by any means. I am intending of building some homebrew buttons. Can...
  6. How do I stop the share button from taking a screenshot on Windows 11?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How do I stop the share button from taking a screenshot on Windows 11?: I have an arcade stick that would normally have a button that would be assigned to PS touchpad and is pretty easy to accidentally press in certain games. The problem is that when it is connected...
  7. Xbox One Sync Button

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One Sync Button: Hey everyone, I’ve encountered a problem with my Xbox One Project Scorpio edition, specifically with the controller sync button. It seems to only work when accessing the troubleshoot menu. Once...
  8. Xbox Elite Series 2 will both register a keystroke as well as a button prompt

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Series 2 will both register a keystroke as well as a button prompt: As the title says, my Xbox elite series 2 will register both a keystroke and a button prompt when I press a button, not only that, it registers as both a controller and a virtual keyboard from...
  9. Update for buttons not registering fix.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Update for buttons not registering fix.: So I've been trying to figure out what's going on with my controller. I've cleaned the buttons with nail polish remover. I'm all out of 91 alcohol. So the only other thing would be the firmware...
  10. Telltale The Expanse not registering button presses on Title Screen - Alpha Slip Ahead

in XboX Insiders
    Telltale The Expanse not registering button presses on Title Screen - Alpha Slip Ahead: Bug report logged. Tested with current alpha slip ahead build, and current retail builds of the dashboard, and two different controllers Alpha Skip Ahead build the game doesn't detect any button...