'Switch TV input using controller' HDMI-CEC option turns TV on during Remote Play

Discus and support 'Switch TV input using controller' HDMI-CEC option turns TV on during Remote Play in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I've reported this already via the 'Report a problem' feature in my Xbox, but here goes again. Repro steps: 1. Enable the aforementioned HDMI-CEC... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by GRES147679, Jul 1, 2022.

1. GRES147679
    GRES147679 Guest

'Switch TV input using controller' HDMI-CEC option turns TV on during Remote Play

I've reported this already via the 'Report a problem' feature in my Xbox, but here goes again.

Repro steps:

1. Enable the aforementioned HDMI-CEC feature. Restart the Xbox when prompted

2. Ensure the Xbox controller is connected to the PC via Bluetooth and not to the Xbox. At this point it should appear as connected on the PC, and button inputs (except pressing the Xbox button; more on that later) shouldn't turn the Xbox or TV on

3. Connect to the Xbox via remote play. Button inputs (except pressing the Xbox button; more on that later) shouldn't turn the TV on

4. Press, or press and hold the Xbox button

As a result, the TV turns on, and the Xbox stays on even if you end the Remote Play session. If the TV was already on (eg. someone else was watching something), the input is switched to the Xbox.

This is incredibly disrupting if there's someone using the TV as they get interrupted, defeating the whole purpose of remote play. However, it's even worse when users are traveling: in my experiment, the Xbox stays on even if the remote session ends, which causes the TV to stay on INDEFINITELY, definitely increasing power consumption and reducing the lifespan of both devices unnecessarily, and possibly causing burn-in. This is further worsened by the fact that traveling users won't be able to see that the TV is on until they're back, at which point the damage (Xbox and TV running for several days!) is done

A couple of workarounds:

1. Disable 'Switch TV input using controller' on the HDMI-CEC settings

2. Disconnect the HDMI cable when you're traveling (seriously?)

3. If you have the 'Console turns off other devices' HDMI-CEC feature enabled, end your remote play sessions by press-and-holding the Xbox button, and selecting 'Turn off console' instead of 'Stop streaming'. This will cause the Xbox to turn off, however in my case the TV stays on. Fortunately my TV has a feature where it turns itself off after 10min of no signal on the current HDMI input, but others may not be as lucky

Question: can someone at Microsoft acknowledge this as a bug, and inform us of next steps you're planning to take to fix it?

:)

GRES147679, Jul 1, 2022
  2. Koop10010 Win User

Hdmi

Nope, the Xbox One lacks HDMI-CEC, also called "control over HDMI". That enables devices to turn on the TV, switch it's inputs or use the TV controller to control them. For a supposedly all-in-one device, it's a pretty big oversight.
  3. GRES147679 Win User

I tried creating a post but it got locked because this issue isn't related to the Xbox Insiders program. https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxinside...tch_tv_input_using_controller_hdmicec_option/

I've also submitted a comment on the weekly Xbox Requests post, if you're seeing this and are affected go upvote https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxinside.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Is there a more direct way to get support from the Xbox team? I tried support.xbox.com but it only points to this forum, the 'Request a call' option has been greyed out for several days
  4. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today Gres147679

That's how HDMI-CEC works on devices compatible with this protocol buddy, the best option is simply disable it if you're going to remote play on the console or when you know you're going to stay far from home

Greetings from another Microsoft user!
  5. GRES147679 Win User

Thanks for the reply Josef.

Although you’re right in that this is how CEC works, it’s certainly not what Remote Play users would expect. I think it’d be perfectly reasonable, and technically possible, for the Xbox to not send that CEC command if the user is connected via a Remote Play session. I don’t think we should be expecting users to know they need to be overriding this when traveling.

Can we get someone from the Xbox tech team to comment?
  6. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Thema:

1. 'Switch TV input using controller' HDMI-CEC option turns TV on during Remote Play - Similar Threads - 'Switch input using

2. Why does pressing the Xbox home button switch TV input?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does pressing the Xbox home button switch TV input?: So I am having issues with my Xbox Series X and it switching from the HDMI 4 input to HDMI 3 input whenever I press the Xbox home button. I have the Sony A95K, which is connected to a Denon...
  3. After last Xbox System Update can't switch receiver input to Xbox and have video

in XBoX on Consoles
    After last Xbox System Update can't switch receiver input to Xbox and have video: I have an XBox Series X Connected to a Denon Receiver and then to an LG OLED TV. I leave my XBox on all the time. Ever since the last system update last week, When I switch my receiver video...
  4. CEC Issue - Xbox Series X switches inputs on certain apps

in XboX Insiders
    CEC Issue - Xbox Series X switches inputs on certain apps: Hello everyone, I'm encountering a very annoying issues that I can't seemingly fix. My setup is as follows: Xbox > AV Receiver > Sony Projector When I navigate to certain applications (Disney,...
  5. Annoying Series S HDMI-CEC issues with input switching..

in XBoX on Consoles
    Annoying Series S HDMI-CEC issues with input switching..: So I have CEC enabled for turning on other devices when I turn the Series S on, so this will turn on my AVR and TV and I'm good to go. I also have it ticked to shutdown Series S when I turn the TV...
  6. Series S keeping switching Input back on my AV Receiver?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series S keeping switching Input back on my AV Receiver?: So I just set it up running through my Pioneer AVR, both my PS5 and Switch will turn the AVR/TV on when I boot them and that's fine, great. Xbox does too. But the issue is, sometimes I need to...
  7. How can I switch to HDMI input on Windows 10 Monitor

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How can I switch to HDMI input on Windows 10 Monitor: My HDMI connect to my Windows 10 pc and from my PlayStation 4 isn’t showing. How can I switch to the HDMI ? 9d27afcf-5b0f-49fb-9e31-f4d32c4204ff
  8. Why doesn't headphone mode switch based on sound input format?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why doesn't headphone mode switch based on sound input format?: Dolby Laboratories says Dolby headphone app works best with Dolby encoded movies on DVD, Blu-ray. 3d and 4k discs. They do not want to bother trying to decode DTS movies or lpcm movies. Same with...
  9. 'Switch TV input using controller' HDMI-CEC option turns TV on during Remote Play

in XboX Insiders
    'Switch TV input using controller' HDMI-CEC option turns TV on during Remote Play: I've reported this already via the 'Report a problem' feature in my Xbox Series X, but here goes again. Repro steps: 1. Enable the aforementioned HDMI-CEC feature. Restart the Xbox when prompted...
  10. Alpha Skip update -9/1 causes recover to switch to TV input instead of Game (default)

in XboX Insiders
    Alpha Skip update -9/1 causes recover to switch to TV input instead of Game (default): [IMG] submitted by /u/NewBlacksmurf [link] [comments]