Swapping gamertag

Discus and support Swapping gamertag in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; HI, I am finding myself in a complicated situation, please bear with me... I played offline on my 360 for years I have a gamertag (GT1) on my MS... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Sword1993, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Sword1993
    Sword1993 Guest

Swapping gamertag

HI,

I am finding myself in a complicated situation, please bear with me...

• I played offline on my 360 for years
    • I have a gamertag (GT1) on my MS account (MS1) because I am using Xbox on my windows phone and surface (windows 8.1)
    • I now have Xbox One and codes for FIFA 14 and Xbox Live Gold
    I followed this
    tutorial
    (http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/my-ac...witch-gamertag-to-different-microsoft-account)
    using my 360 to change GT1/MS1 to GT1/MS2 but it said it could not do so at the moment - after contacting support, it seems that as I used MS1 (and hence GT1) to set up a new windows phone, I have to wait 30 days

Since it isn't possible to merge a GT with an offline profile, I converted my offline profile to a gamertag (GT2) on another Microsoft account (MS3) to play on my Xbox One with all my achievements.

I am now stuck -

• GT1/MS1 won't move to GT1/MS2 - [I need to wait 30 days]
    • GT2/MS3 needs to wait for the GT1/MS2 move to reach the desired result of GT2/MS1 - [hopefully I won't have to wait 30 extra days after GT1/MS2 is completed]
    I have two questions:

1. I won't have access to my 360 in 30 days (and for a while after that). Is the above tutorial to swap gamertag doable on Xbox one? (I don't believe it is so can I only do it on my 360 or can MS support help?)
    2. I have a FIFA download code and Xbox Live Gold code - do these move with the GT or are they linked to the MS account? (i.e. if I enable XBL on GT2/MS3, will it remain on MS3/(no GT) or move with GT2 on GT2/MS1 when I can finally do this? - same for the
      game, should I download it on GT1/MS1 or GT2/MS3 for now to be able to play it on GT2/MS1 later?)
    The easiest probably would have been to delete GT1 entirely to setup my offline profile (GT2) to MS1 directly but I don't think there was a way to do so, correct me if I made everything more complicated than it needed to be?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

:)

Sword1993, Jan 4, 2014
  2. maxen
    maxen Guest
    Gamertag Swapping?

Right, well that's because the save files are tied to the Gamertag (profile) itself and are non-transferrable. Even if you change the associated email addresses (Microsoft Account, or MSA), it remains tied to the same profile.

As such, the only solutions are that you either continue to use each other's profiles or, and this would be recommended, you sort out who's using which profile henceforth and bite the bullet as regards starting over for particular games.

The latter means that everything is right going forward and the problem is not exacerbated.

I know that's not the ideal solution you were looking for, but is the best in these circumstances.

maxen, Jan 4, 2014
  3. Mathayuss
    Mathayuss Guest
    Swapping Gamertags?

Yea i was meaning add it to sharkey xo. Thank for the info guess iv got to pay.

Mathayuss, Jan 4, 2014
  4. Swapping gamertag

Hi there,

I'm not sure about question 1, but I can answer question 2.

-

Redeemed codes/content is tied to the gamertag. If you reedem items on GT1, it won't matter what MS account it's tied to.

-

I hope that helps.

Mistress Sara, Jan 4, 2014
  5. Sword1993
    Sword1993 Guest
    Thank you for answering one of the questions and understanding what I meant Swapping gamertag :)

Sword1993, Jan 4, 2014
  6. To confirm question 1, there's no function on the Xbox One at the moment to switch a gamertag to a different Microsoft Account.

Mad Cow Dizease, Jan 4, 2014
  7. Sword1993
    Sword1993 Guest
    Swapping gamertag :( hopefully they'll add one by the end of the month. Otherwise, I hope support is able to do it...

Thanks for the help!

Edit: is it at all possible to delete entirely a gamertag? This could make things easier in 30 days, do you think it's worth giving it a go with support?

Sword1993, Oct 31, 2018
  8. maxen Win User

Gamertag Swapping?

Right, well that's because the save files are tied to the Gamertag (profile) itself and are non-transferrable. Even if you change the associated email addresses (Microsoft Account, or MSA), it remains tied to the same profile.

As such, the only solutions are that you either continue to use each other's profiles or, and this would be recommended, you sort out who's using which profile henceforth and bite the bullet as regards starting over for particular games.

The latter means that everything is right going forward and the problem is not exacerbated.

I know that's not the ideal solution you were looking for, but is the best in these circumstances.
  9. SpiralOut46and2 Win User

Gamertag Swapping.

What I would try is to have him change his tag to what he wants, and from there, keep checking for his older tag yourself to see when it gets released and is available. Once it shows as available, you can change your own tag to it.
  10. EggsBoxJuan Win User

Swap gamertags?

I guess you could maybe let your daughter continue to use your account, create yourself a new account and as Netflix and Amazon video use their own login rather than your Xbox login you'd at least be able to watch those without logging your daughter out
    each time. Not an ideal solution but it would work.

Or

You sign into your daughters account and use Netflix/Amazon video on that maybe. That may be a problem though with regards to adult content on those streaming services.
  11. Mathayuss Win User

Swapping Gamertags?

Yea i was meaning add it to sharkey xo. Thank for the info guess iv got to pay.
  12. Smwutches Win User

Gamertag Swapping

You would have to change Tag2's gamertag to something else in order to free it up. There's no way to completely remove the account from the server. So you'd have to pay for 2 changes.
Thema:

Swapping gamertag

1. Swapping gamertag - Similar Threads - Swapping gamertag

2. Free gamertag swap the first time

in XBoX Accessibility
    Free gamertag swap the first time: I want to change my gamertag due to an inappropriate joke made by one of my coworkers but it wants to charge me $10. I’ve never changed my gamertag since I created my Microsoft account. Please...
  3. I am trying to swap an older Gamertag to my current email which already has a Gamertag linked.

in XBoX Accessibility
    I am trying to swap an older Gamertag to my current email which already has a Gamertag linked.: I am trying to swap an older Gamertag of mine from an older email to my current email (so I keep my friends list & gamerscore). When I try to swap the alias It claims the domain Is already used. I...
  4. Swap gamertag

in XBoX on Consoles
    Swap gamertag: I want to swap my primery acc to my main acc can you help me Thank you 310b9fb6-5350-42c3-8104-ee63b2a8b79f
  5. gamertag swap

in XBoX Accessibility
    gamertag swap: A while ago I created a gamertag using my moms email, since then I created my own email but have used the gamertag associated with my mothers account as that was were all my information was. Is...
  6. Can I Swap Gamertag between accounts ?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can I Swap Gamertag between accounts ?: Hello everyone, My situation is as follow : - 1st account has all my data since very first Xbox BETA with old gamertag. - 2nd account created some months ago with new fresh profile and data. I...
  7. Gamertag. Stick or swap?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gamertag. Stick or swap?: After I changed the first time there was no stopping me. I probably swapped ten times by now lol. is definitely staying around for a while now 216c2618-b45b-4147-a60d-6e5e7a4aace6
  8. Gamertag Swap

in XBoX on Consoles
    Gamertag Swap: So heres the situation; I have two accounts: One with lots of progress and one without any progress. I dont want to lose either of the gamertags, but I want the account with all the progress to...
  9. Gamertag swap

in XBoX on Consoles
    Gamertag swap: Hi I've somehow got my son's and my own gamertag mixed up - mine is showing on his Microsoft account and vice versa! Its saying I have to pay to change both these, is there any way around this...
  10. Swap gamerTag from Account A to Account B

in XBoX on Consoles
    Swap gamerTag from Account A to Account B: Hello, I have two Microsoft accounts, each one has associated a GamerTag. I would like to swap the GamerTag, switch the old one on the new Microsoft account and the new one on the old Microsoft...