swapping external HDD from Xbox One to PS4

Discus and support swapping external HDD from Xbox One to PS4 in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So I have an external hard drive that ive been using on my xbox for a while. Well, my ps4's hard drive crapped out and im trying to figure out how to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Exodus28, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Exodus28
    Exodus28 Guest

So I have an external hard drive that ive been using on my xbox for a while. Well, my ps4's hard drive crapped out and im trying to figure out how to a) Unformat my external from my Xbox and b) how to format it to work with my PS4 because im trying to
    use it to replace my bad HDD. I know usually it will have a pop up when you plug it in to the PS4 to reformat it, but my PS4 isnt in working condition because the HDD is bad. surely there is a way to unformat it and reformat it for ps4 on my pc, any help is
    appreciated.

:)

Exodus28, Dec 15, 2020
  2. Smwutches Win User

That's not something we can help with here. The Xbox One hard drive is not meant to be removed and used for something else.
  3. Coreldan Win User

POLL - (Revisited) What will drive your buying decision?

PS4 also has mandatory installs, X1 can also play games before they are fully installed. The two consoles are practically identical with this. Related to this, the only difference is that PS4 allows to swap the internal HDD, but not external HDDs, while
    Xbox won't allow switching the internal, but allows for externals.

Key word here being, both consoles require you to install the games and can't be ran from disc only. Both consoles also have a 500gb HDD by default.
  4. SirAngry Win User

im disappointed in lack of SSD.

[quote user="XxEndless WarxX"]

Once again soldier you are misinformed!! You have no clue do you? XboxOne will support external hdd , however not at launch..........Oh and same goes for the almighty PS4. Also on XboxOne, users will have unlimited storage via the cloud no matter if you
    are a premium gold subscriber or silver.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/165586-ps4-and-xbox-one-wont-support-external-hard-drives-for-now

[/quote]

While I can understand your frustration at Soldier, he is actually right. You can swap out the internal HDDs in both the PS3 and the PS4. However, I don't believe the early and slim PS3's supported the data transfer rates of SSDs, so it would be pointless.
    Not sure of the PS3 Super Slim though. Also on the PS4 users will have unlimited cloud storage if they are PS+ subscribers as in the same way Xbox Live Gold subscribers will with Xbox One. However, I don't think the PS4 will support external HDDs. I know Microsoft
    have said eventually they hope to bring the ability to support external HDDs... but I don't think Sony are planning it.
  5. Farscape247 Win User

Xbox One hard drive question

@tendaboy - but ps4 can only support a laptop HDD of 2tb but the x1 when we finally get external support will support 3tb and we can switch and swap so in theory it will have unlimited space.
  6. Farscape247 Win User

Where Has All The HD Space Gone?

people are moaning about the hdd being small, just take a minute to think about those poor poor people on ps4, they can swap the internal drive but the max that can be fitted currently is 2tb but xbox we can attach 2 externals and at a theoretical 16tb each,
    please hold a minutes silence for the ps4.
Thema:

1. swapping external HDD from Xbox One to PS4 - Similar Threads - swapping external HDD

2. Xbox One - Possible to swap internal HDD to recover data?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One - Possible to swap internal HDD to recover data?: So, I have a friend who's Xbox One HDMI port no longer works, he's upgraded to a Series X, but was not able to retrieve his account data off the old xbox. (Cannot remember password or email...
  3. Swapping digital game from old one to new S

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Swapping digital game from old one to new S: I bought a digital version of halo master chief collection on my OG Xbox one and I just got myself a new series S is it possible to transfer the digital game to my new Xbox without having to...
  4. Need my sticks to swap when I aim in to shoot

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Need my sticks to swap when I aim in to shoot: So I want to add the shift button function while still using the LT function. Right now only LT or Shift can be assigned to the left trigger, but not both. I would like to shoot with the left but...
  5. is there any way i could retrieve a stolen/swapped account related to xbox + minecraft

in XBoX Accessibility
    is there any way i could retrieve a stolen/swapped account related to xbox + minecraft: so a few days ago i was playing on hypixel (a Minecraft server) when a party invited me and asked if i wanted to voice chat on discord. I said yes, so they sent me a discord link to a server that...
  6. Free gamertag swap the first time

in XBoX Accessibility
    Free gamertag swap the first time: I want to change my gamertag due to an inappropriate joke made by one of my coworkers but it wants to charge me $10. I’ve never changed my gamertag since I created my Microsoft account. Please...
  7. I need the support email or phone number to swap my Xbox accounts email with my new one...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I need the support email or phone number to swap my Xbox accounts email with my new one...: My Xbox account is old and I forgot the password to the email and I also don't have the email connected to any of my phones/old phones so I can not switch to any Xbox unless I lose everything I...
  8. OSU issues when swapping a dead HDD to SSD

in XboX Insiders
    OSU issues when swapping a dead HDD to SSD: my X1X has been configured with insider firmware and i cant seem to find the correct OSU to reconfigure my system. everytime i use the OSU1 public release i get stuck in a loop E106/E101 on...
  9. Question about Next Gen game swap

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Question about Next Gen game swap: So I heard news that Red Dead Redemption 2 is getting a next gen swap and I am curious as I have it digitally on my Xbox Series X and wondering if it will give me a free upgrade which makes it...
  10. Account swapping

in XBoX Accessibility
    Account swapping: How in all these years of loyal customers asking for the ability to change an xbox account to another existing microsoft account do we still not have the ability to do so its such a flawed...