Surround Sound not completely working

Discus and support Surround Sound not completely working in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Whenever using both 5.1 and 7.1 uncompressed, some of the audio is cut out. It seems that audio specifically infront (car engine in forza 5, radio... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Top Snek, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Top Snek
    Top Snek Guest

Whenever using both 5.1 and 7.1 uncompressed, some of the audio is cut out. It seems that audio specifically infront (car engine in forza 5, radio chatter in bf4) is cut out, while the rest works.

The current setup that I am using is the same with the Xbox360 (which worked fine), where the console is connected to the TV via HDMI, then an optical cable runs through a Turtlebeach headset thingy, and another optical cable connects to a LG Dvd player
    (set to optical input), then to the surround sound speakers.

The other devices are all connected to the TV via HDMI so the Dvd player does all the surround sound. All the other devices work perfectly fine still. Is it something to do with the Xbox One not supporting LG surround sound systems or should I just jiggle
    the cables and hope it works.

The surround sound doesn't work through my headset aswell (which supports 7.1 uncompressed).

:)

Top Snek, Jan 6, 2014
  2. XB1 Surround Sound Issue

The Xbox One doesn't currently output surround sound. However, Microsoft is working on it and will be updating the Xbox One to output in surround sound soon.

support.xbox.com/.../digital-sound-not-working

The Lion Turtle, Jan 6, 2014
  3. drivesafely
    drivesafely Guest
    headphones need addressed

How can it not be a support issue? The Beta Surround Sound is flawed and the Optical Surround Sound is missing Dolby completely. Who would fix it.

drivesafely, Jan 6, 2014
  4. jmcode
    jmcode Guest

An optical cable simply can't pass 5.1/7.1 uncompressed, only HDMI or multichannel analog can (the latter of which the Xbox doesn't have). As such your headset (presumably optical) does NOT and cannot support 5.1/7.1 uncompressed. Instead it supports 5.1
    Dolby Digital (DD=compressed), and virtually creates 7.1 from the 5.1 through processing (optical can't pass 7.1 DD+ either, only 5.1). Currently, the Xbox One cannot output Dolby Digital 5.1 over optical, which is why you do not get surround sound in your
    headset. It is also not surprising that your TV is not handling 5.1/7.1 uncompressed properly, as that is something you really need an audio receiver to handle. What is probably happening is your TV is downmixing the uncompressed 5.1/7.1 to some sort of stereo
    (2.1?), resulting is loss of some audio channels. The rest you hear as"virtual surround sound" created by your LG system.

The solution for you is to get a proper audio/video receiver (recommend Onkyo or Denon) that has HDMI inputs, can handle uncompressed 5.1/7.1, etc.; OR wait until the One can output DD 5.1 over optical, When the latter happens, keep in mind that most TVs
    will NOT pass DD 5.1 out over optical. Perhaps yours does (some Vizio models do). If yours doesn't, you will never get true DD 5.1 (just because you hear sound from all speakers doesn't mean you are getting true DD 5.1) from your current setup and would need
    to run the optical out directly to your LG system, instead of through the TV. Hope that helps.

jmcode, Jan 6, 2014
  5. jmcode Win User

An optical cable simply can't pass 5.1/7.1 uncompressed, only HDMI or multichannel analog can (the latter of which the Xbox doesn't have). As such your headset (presumably optical) does NOT and cannot support 5.1/7.1 uncompressed. Instead it supports 5.1
    Dolby Digital (DD=compressed), and virtually creates 7.1 from the 5.1 through processing (optical can't pass 7.1 DD+ either, only 5.1). Currently, the Xbox One cannot output Dolby Digital 5.1 over optical, which is why you do not get surround sound in your
    headset. It is also not surprising that your TV is not handling 5.1/7.1 uncompressed properly, as that is something you really need an audio receiver to handle. What is probably happening is your TV is downmixing the uncompressed 5.1/7.1 to some sort of stereo
    (2.1?), resulting is loss of some audio channels. The rest you hear as"virtual surround sound" created by your LG system.

The solution for you is to get a proper audio/video receiver (recommend Onkyo or Denon) that has HDMI inputs, can handle uncompressed 5.1/7.1, etc.; OR wait until the One can output DD 5.1 over optical, When the latter happens, keep in mind that most TVs
    will NOT pass DD 5.1 out over optical. Perhaps yours does (some Vizio models do). If yours doesn't, you will never get true DD 5.1 (just because you hear sound from all speakers doesn't mean you are getting true DD 5.1) from your current setup and would need
    to run the optical out directly to your LG system, instead of through the TV. Hope that helps.
  6. drivesafely Win User

headphones need addressed

How can it not be a support issue? The Beta Surround Sound is flawed and the Optical Surround Sound is missing Dolby completely. Who would fix it.
  7. Glu10Free Win User

Why do the Xbox One microphone headsets refuse to work?

Are they surround sound? My DX12s are simulated surround sound and it works really well.
  8. Higher4Hire Win User

Surround Sound Not Working

Ok, I found something. If I select "Stereo Uncompressed" in sound setting in Xb1, my AVR gives me the "Dolby PLII Movie" and "DTS Neo:6 Cimena" output options. Selecting this, I get output form whole 5.1 system, but the Input signal detected by AVR is only
    a 2 channel input. I believe my Marrantz is taking the uncompressed stereo and converting it into 5.1 output. This is also the case with the videos I played back through chromecast. Is this pure surround or just a lot of sound from all the speakers.

In contrast, if I select 5.1 uncompressed in audio setting in XB1, the input is detected as 5.1, but output is only from front, center and sub. I am getting super confused.
  9. TobyHoover Win User

Surround sound not working

Most TVs dumb down incoming surround-sound audio signals to a stereo when outputting via it's optical out, unless the signal is from it's internal tuner.

So in basic English, if you plug a surround sound device into your optical in on the tv, it converts the surrurant sound signal to stereo. If you want to get surround sound from your Xbox you need to plug it in to a receiver or another device that will
    not down convert the signal.

here is a good article to read:
    www.cnet.com/.../20-tvs-tested-which-sets-can-pass-surround-sound-to-a-sound-bar

I have this prob on my TV as well, so I use a Sony Receiver or my Turtle Beach headsets, that have surround or simulated surround.

Sadly Element is not known for making high end devices and this is an issue that plagues most TVs except the high end and very high end, and even then it's a feature that still does not appear to often.
Thema:

1. Surround Sound not completely working - Similar Threads - Surround Sound completely

2. When will Microsoft fix the Xbox "feature" of disabling surround sound when a chat headset...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When will Microsoft fix the Xbox "feature" of disabling surround sound when a chat headset...: Xbox Series X|S can output surround sound such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X over HDMI with no headset attached. This is great for modern gaming, allowing players to use spatial sound cues (direction...
  3. Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller?: The moment I plug my headset in to my Razer Wolverine V2 controller the sound mode on my XBOX changes the audio output to stereo uncompressed. The sound output cannot be changed back to any type...
  4. No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver

in XBoX on Consoles
    No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver: Greetings! I have an old Denon AVR 591 5.1 surround sound system. It's worked great for me for about 15 years, until recently. I upgraded my TV to 4k last year, and realized the Denon cannot...
  5. How Do I Get 5.1 Surround Sound To Work On My Xbox Series S

in XBoX on Consoles
    How Do I Get 5.1 Surround Sound To Work On My Xbox Series S: I’m trying to get my Series S to work on my 5.1 surround sound system and not having any luck. This set of instructions...
  6. No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver

in XBoX on Windows
    No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver: Greetings! I have an old Denon AVR 591 5.1 surround sound system. It's worked great for me for about 15 years, until recently. I upgraded my TV to 4k last year, and realized the Denon cannot...
  7. How to setup xbox series x, TV, and surround sound receiver?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to setup xbox series x, TV, and surround sound receiver?: Toshiba TV Series X Yamaha receiver I have the Receiver(HDMI out) connected to the TV(HDMI in) and the Receiver(HDMI #1) connected to the Xbox(HDMI out). It was working perfectly fine, I was...
  8. Lost audio all of a sudden on DTX Surround Sound.

in XBoX on Windows
    Lost audio all of a sudden on DTX Surround Sound.: So I was using my Xbox series s with my Vizio 4k tv that supports DTX Surround Sound and all of a sudden it stopped working. The only way it works is if I'm in the settings for the audio. After I...
  9. Do all apps, stream and surround sound?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Do all apps, stream and surround sound?: Some apps aren’t streaming in surround sound. 366850d2-02f4-472a-878b-50183e8cd4dc
  10. No digital surround sound output from Xbox series X ever since connecting Xbox wireless...

in XBoX on Consoles
    No digital surround sound output from Xbox series X ever since connecting Xbox wireless...: Recently bought the Xbox wireless headset for my series x. At first everything was fine…5.1 surround system working fine when headset is off, and then sound via headset once I turn that on. After...