Surround Dolby/DTS 5.1 does not work with apps like Netflix but works with games and TV

Discus and support Surround Dolby/DTS 5.1 does not work with apps like Netflix but works with games and TV in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, Just got a new Xbox One and I can't make my home theatre work in 5.1 with Netflix (for example), but it works with TV and games. What's weird is... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Simthurr, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Simthurr
    Simthurr Guest

Surround Dolby/DTS 5.1 does not work with apps like Netflix but works with games and TV

Hi,

Just got a new Xbox One and I can't make my home theatre work in 5.1 with Netflix (for example), but it works with TV and games. What's weird is that it used to work with my xbox 360, so something must be wrong with the setup

Current Setup

TV box connected to xbox one hdmi in

Xbox one HDMI out to LG Home Theatre (dolby and DTS compatible)

LG Home Theatre HDMI out to Panasonic 1080p plasma TV

Xbox one audio set to bitstream DTS as 5.1 does not work when I select the option.

I've also tried to connect my xbox directly to the TV and use an optical cable for sound but results are the same.

Any idea?

Thank you

:)

Simthurr, Dec 28, 2017
  2. Xenokai
    Xenokai Guest
    Optical Surround on the Xbox One? When?

It actually does support great 5.1 surround with optical threw the DTS Digital surround option. DTS is actually better then dolby but alot of headsets dont support DTS.

Xenokai, Dec 28, 2017
  3. Devlin88
    Devlin88 Guest
    5.1 Surround Sound limitations

Is there any way to get full 5.1 Surround Sound (preferably Dolby or DTS) for apps such as YouTube, Netflix, WWE Network or Media Player? I get the full experience when playing games and watching Blu-Rays but I'd like to get the most out of my sound system.
    It only works fully with 5.1 uncompressed stereo through HDMI but the quality is nowhere near as good. I've tried through HDMI and optical straight to amplifier, through the tv to the amp, etc. Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated

Devlin88, Dec 28, 2017
  4. TopShotta268
    TopShotta268 Guest

Dolby 5.1 is broken for the xbox at the moment. It stopped working when xbox updated on 7 Dec 17. Microsoft is aware of the issue (so I'm told) and they are working on it.

TopShotta268, Dec 28, 2017
  5. MattGarrad Win User

Xbox Series X November Update broken sound.

Lots of info there, not sure if its all problems now or how it was before but ill try and help.

*The bitstream option has disappeared from the audio options. I can see Stereo Uncompressed, Dolby Digital and DTS Surround.*

Dolby Digital and DTS surround are bitstream formats, so the bitstream option is still there.

*Leaving the sound as Stereo on the Xbox. I start Netflix and when I choose a movie the only option is English. English 5.1 is no longer available.*

Have you enabled 'pass app audio directly to your receiver'? its in 'additional options and disabled by default.

*When the sound is now set to DTS on the Xbox. I start Netflix and the movies gives me the same English and English 5.1 choices. but.. the amplifier displays DTS Surround Sound irrespective of choosing English or English 5.1. The English 5.1 is being converted from Dolby Digital to DTS by the Xbox!*

Yeah, you've told the Xbox to output DTS as its bitstream output, so thats what its doing, as i understand it the default ' English 5.1', would be Dolby digital 5.1 but you've asked the system to output DTS as the bitstream format so its converting it.

*When the sound is set to Dolby Digital on the Xbox. I start Netflix and the movies now give me English and English 5.1. But... the amplifies remains on Dolby Digital irrespective of choosing English or English 5.1.*

Because the system is being told to output 5.1, so that's the default output its using. try enabling 'pass app audio directly to your receiver'.

On mine setup, I've just left bitstream output as Dolby Digital ( which is a bitstream format) and all works good, i cant us DTS as my LG tv wont passthrough DTS via optical to my receiver.

Matt
  6. TopShotta268 Win User

Dolby 5.1 is broken for the xbox at the moment. It stopped working when xbox updated on 7 Dec 17. Microsoft is aware of the issue (so I'm told) and they are working on it.
  7. David_J_Br Win User

Xbox Series X November Update broken sound.

I'm still waiting for Microsoft to fix the problem as well.

Putting it very simply for them to understand. Netflix was working brilliantly until the November update and now it's rubbish. To expand on this.

1. Before the November update. I had the audio option set to bitstream and ticked the audio passthrough checkbox.

The sound is passing into my TV and I have an optical output to a DSP-A5 amplifier. With the xbox being used for games the amp displays ProLogic for normal stereo output.

The Netflix app can be started and when you list the sound options for films you are given English and English 5.1.

When you choose English, the sound is stereo and the amplifier displays ProLogic.

When you choose English 5.1, it's surround sound and the amplifier displays Dolby Digital.

The movies and tv app works really good with this as well.

2. Microsoft released the update to 'improve the users experience'.

The bitstream option has disappeared from the audio options. I can see Stereo Uncompressed, Dolby Digital and DTS Surround.

Now, when I choose each of these options the amplifier picks this up and displays accordingly ProLogic, Dolby Digital and DTS Surround Sound.

This is where it all goes wrong.

Leaving the sound as Stereo on the xbox. I start Netflix and when I choose a movie the only option is English. English 5.1 is no longer available.

When the sound is set to Dolby Digital on the xbox. I start Netflix and the movies now give me English and English 5.1. But... the amplifies remains on Dolby Digital irrespective of choosing English or English 5.1.

When the sound is now set to DTS on the xbox. I start Netflix and the movies gives me the same English and English 5.1 choices. but.. the amplifier displays DTS Surround Sound irrespective of choosing English or English 5.1. The English 5.1 is being converted from Dolby Digital to DTS by the xbox!

3. the ONLY device which has changed is the xbox with the software update.

The TV is an older LG 55EC930V which has always been up to date on the firmware. The amplifier has no firmware to update.

Ticking and unticking the audio passthrough does bugger all.
  8. Xenokai Win User

Optical Surround on the Xbox One? When?

It actually does support great 5.1 surround with optical threw the DTS Digital surround option. DTS is actually better then dolby but alot of headsets dont support DTS.
  9. TripleTopper321 Win User

DTS and L:CPM encodede movie discs on Xbox One's Dolby Atmos Headphone app

My main quesition is of inputs ad outputs> Trutle beach headphones in the 360 era took Dolby 5.1 inputs and made then Dolby Headphone Output, and was an external device that also wokred in TVs and mobvies players... aslonga as the source was Dlby sound
    in. DTS didn't get coded at all, and LPCM beyond 2.0 wouldn't fit in a Toslinlk.

The Turtle Beach DTS:X headphones had DTS 2-track headpone surround outputs, but onl\y accepted Dolby-based inputs, so I can't decode Blu Rays in DTS and expec a surround sound.

It seems to me that Dolby Atmos inputs like Blu Rays sound better in dolby Atmos Headphones than DT5 5.1-DTS 7.1, L:pVM 5.1-7.1, and even "lesser dolby modes" 5.1-7.1

Is the Dolby Atmod Headepho0ne app suposed to take ANY of the 3flkavors and tuen them into Dolby Headphone? Or does it only work wiht Dolby Atmos movies? meaing you haver swithc the settings on every non-Atmos disc.

Finally is thee such a ting as a 2-channel headphone surround encoder that takes ANY of the brands and flavords of sound formats and send out 2-yttrack, surround heapdhone f some sort of format. I'd like that for the upstairs TV. Too many DTS movies sound
    lackluster and 70% f our BD/3D colection is DTS.

I knw Sony heaadhones have a Doly and DTS input and sound better than pure uncoded 2-track LPCM, but it doesn;t sound as good as Xbox's DTS-> dDolby conversions and then letting the Turetle Beach encode it in 2-Track surrouud headphone. (By the way, does Xbox
    One do LPCM 7.1-> Dolby 7.1 ?)
Thema:

1. Surround Dolby/DTS 5.1 does not work with apps like Netflix but works with games and TV - Similar Threads - Surround Dolby DTS

2. Xbox Series X - Reversed surround audio - Front coming from rears

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X - Reversed surround audio - Front coming from rears: Hey folks, My xbox series x 7.1 uncompressed audio constantly flips, front to back. Details: - Frequently when powering the xbox up from standby and/or returning to a game from another app my...
  3. Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller?: The moment I plug my headset in to my Razer Wolverine V2 controller the sound mode on my XBOX changes the audio output to stereo uncompressed. The sound output cannot be changed back to any type...
  4. No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver

in XBoX on Consoles
    No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver: Greetings! I have an old Denon AVR 591 5.1 surround sound system. It's worked great for me for about 15 years, until recently. I upgraded my TV to 4k last year, and realized the Denon cannot...
  5. How Do I Get 5.1 Surround Sound To Work On My Xbox Series S

in XBoX on Consoles
    How Do I Get 5.1 Surround Sound To Work On My Xbox Series S: I’m trying to get my Series S to work on my 5.1 surround sound system and not having any luck. This set of instructions...
  6. No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver

in XBoX on Windows
    No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver: Greetings! I have an old Denon AVR 591 5.1 surround sound system. It's worked great for me for about 15 years, until recently. I upgraded my TV to 4k last year, and realized the Denon cannot...
  7. How to setup xbox series x, TV, and surround sound receiver?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to setup xbox series x, TV, and surround sound receiver?: Toshiba TV Series X Yamaha receiver I have the Receiver(HDMI out) connected to the TV(HDMI in) and the Receiver(HDMI #1) connected to the Xbox(HDMI out). It was working perfectly fine, I was...
  8. Audio cut outs with Dolby Atmos headphones surround on

in XboX Insiders
    Audio cut outs with Dolby Atmos headphones surround on: I've been wearing the same headset and for months never had issues, but since the last week or two, I've noticed split second audio cut outs on Xbox when Dolby Atmos for headphones is on. I do not...
  9. Chat headset presence disables HDMI surround

in XBoX on Consoles
    Chat headset presence disables HDMI surround: When using a chat headset such as the official Microsoft Xbox chat headset or the Turtle Beach Recon Air (headsets that use the Xbox controller's rectangular accessory port), surround sound over...
  10. Xbox Series S Allow Passthrough Receiver not detecting Surround Formats

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S Allow Passthrough Receiver not detecting Surround Formats: For whatever reason my Xbox Series S is having problems passing the audio to my receiver. I usually select 5.1 Uncompressed as the base and then when Netflix or Disney+ is playing a movie the...