Strict NAT despite being hard wired.

Discus and support Strict NAT despite being hard wired. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Note: This is a recent occurance and never used to happen. Im currently hardwired to my router and almost every day in Settings>Network on my Xbox one... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by RPM Swerve, Jan 11, 2015.

1. RPM Swerve
    RPM Swerve Guest

Note: This is a recent occurance and never used to happen. Im currently hardwired to my router and almost every day in Settings>Network on my Xbox one it says NAT is strict. I then do a hard reset on the xbox and turn it back on and when I check settings
    again, it says Open for NAT. Any ideas on why this is happening? The fix is easy but annoying at the same time.

:)

RPM Swerve, Jan 11, 2015
  2. Trist
    Trist Guest
    Can't find wireless network

Wired connection seems to work.

NAT is showing as 'strict'. Wonder why the wireless is playing up.

Trist, Jan 11, 2015
  3. GMAN990
    GMAN990 Guest
    GMAN990, Jan 11, 2015
  4. Tbird92011
    Tbird92011 Guest

This has to do with the fact that the Xbox needs certain ports do communicate with. Normally if you have only 1 Xbox connected this is no problem because the ports are available.

When there are more network devices that want to communicate on using the same ports the UPnP protocol of the router can be used to assign the correct port numbers to each XBox/network device.

When the Xbox is starting from sleep mode it does not seems to correctly request the ports it needs from UPnP but when it starts from power down mode it does.

So to prevent this problem always switch the Xbox off to power down. It only takes a little longer to start but it will correctly request the ports it need from the router and get an "Open NAT".

Tbird92011, Jan 11, 2015
  5. TBird92011 is right in some way but it's not the full story

You can make sure you keep having an open NAT by port forwarding

This is what I want you to do (If your router is connected to a gateway/modem you might have to port forward or DMZ there aswell)

1. On your Xbox while on the home menu press the menu button and select
      Settings
    2. From there you select Network

You might want to write down the information on the right side;Subnet mask, Gateway
    3. You then select Advanced settings This will allow you to configure your IP
    4. You select manual DHCP selection and you will be prompted to enter an IP

Try to make the IP in between 192.168.*.100 and 192.168.*.200

The " * " stands for the subnet which you can copy from your gateway as this can differ for some people gateway usually looks like 192.168.0.1 so just copy the 0 in this case

5. After that you will be asked for the Subnet which you just copy from what your wrote down

6. You also just copy the gateway from what you wrote down

You now have a Static IP for your Xbox One

On to the next step

1. Go on your computer and gain access to your gateway settings

This can be done by entering the gateway into a browser
    2. On the sub tabs select Port Range Forwarding/Port forwarding
      (name may vary on router)
    3. In Start Port and End Port type in.
      • Port 88 (UDP)
      • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
      • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
      • Port 80 (TCP)
      • Port 500 (UDP)
      • Port 3544 (UDP)
      • Port 4500 (UDP)

On ports where it says UDP and TCP you can select
        Both from the dropdown menu

4.In IP Address type in the IP Address of the
    Xbox.

5.Put a check in the Enable box.

6.Select Save Settings.

Now you have opened the required ports for the Xbox One, there should only be one step left

1. Click Setup across the top.
    2. Click Lan Setup/settings (name may vary on router) from the sub tabs.
    3. Click the Pre-Assigned DHCP IP Addresses button.
    4. Enter in the Xbox's MAC Address and IP Address.
    5. Click Add Static IP or save (name may vary on router).
    Now Powercycle your Xbox and go back to network settings

• Test multiplayer connection
    • Hold the bumpers and triggers on your controller to instantly load the detailed statistics
    • If your NAT says open behind a cone network you should be set

This should ensure you ALWAYS have an open NAT, you may still need to powercycle once in a while to fix some common issues but the NAT should stay open

FearedNightmare, Jan 12, 2015
  6. Tbird92011
    Tbird92011 Guest
    Port forwarding works if you have only 1 Xbox One connected.

In my situation I have 2x Xbox One + 3x Xbox 360 on my local network. In such a situation UPnP is the only way to go.

Tbird92011, Jan 12, 2015
  7. You can port forward AND use UPnP. If I only activate UPnP on my router and gateway I get a strict NAT I myself HAVE to portforward and DMZ

8. Malacath
    Malacath Guest

@FearedNightmare

As a rule you can't port forward and use UPnP at the same time. This will cause problems on most routers.

As for your gateway. You need to switch it to bridge mode. It sounds like you have a double NAT. This means both your router and gateway have their own NATs.

It should be switched to bridge mode so that it acts as a modem only and doesn't have its own NAT. If done correctly you should get an open NAT by using UPnP

Malacath, Jan 12, 2015
  9. My gateway doesn't have a bridge mode had to DMZ my router

10. taidara
    taidara Guest
    Please people! Keep on topic, and minde why you're posting in the support section.

It's better to use the PM system, if you all want to air personal views. Strict NAT despite being hard wired. :)

taidara, Jan 12, 2015
  11. Port-forwarding with new games is a pain since it seems like every game that comes out uses different ports from the standard xbox live ones. I know COD, GTA and Unity all have their own you have to add so at this point id say its easier to stick it in
    a DMZ anymore. I know its not secure but the chances of something happening to it is very slim.

Richiestang78, Jan 13, 2015
  12. in my xbox 3074 says "port range over lap".

GodK1ngLeonidas, Oct 31, 2018
  13. Malacath Win User

@FearedNightmare

As a rule you can't port forward and use UPnP at the same time. This will cause problems on most routers.

As for your gateway. You need to switch it to bridge mode. It sounds like you have a double NAT. This means both your router and gateway have their own NATs.

It should be switched to bridge mode so that it acts as a modem only and doesn't have its own NAT. If done correctly you should get an open NAT by using UPnP
  14. Tbird92011 Win User

Port forwarding works if you have only 1 Xbox One connected.

In my situation I have 2x Xbox One + 3x Xbox 360 on my local network. In such a situation UPnP is the only way to go.
  15. GodK1ngLeonidas Win User

TBird92011 is right in some way but it's not the full story

You can make sure you keep having an open NAT by port forwarding

This is what I want you to do (If your router is connected to a gateway/modem you might have to port forward or DMZ there aswell)

1. On your Xbox while on the home menu press the menu button and select
      Settings
    2. From there you select Network

You might want to write down the information on the right side;Subnet mask, Gateway
    3. You then select Advanced settings This will allow you to configure your IP
    4. You select manual DHCP selection and you will be prompted to enter an IP

Try to make the IP in between 192.168.*.100 and 192.168.*.200

The " * " stands for the subnet which you can copy from your gateway as this can differ for some people gateway usually looks like 192.168.0.1 so just copy the 0 in this case

5. After that you will be asked for the Subnet which you just copy from what your wrote down

6. You also just copy the gateway from what you wrote down

You now have a Static IP for your Xbox One

On to the next step

1. Go on your computer and gain access to your gateway settings

This can be done by entering the gateway into a browser
    2. On the sub tabs select Port Range Forwarding/Port forwarding
      (name may vary on router)
    3. In Start Port and End Port type in.
      • Port 88 (UDP)
      • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
      • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
      • Port 80 (TCP)
      • Port 500 (UDP)
      • Port 3544 (UDP)
      • Port 4500 (UDP)

On ports where it says UDP and TCP you can select
        Both from the dropdown menu

4.In IP Address type in the IP Address of the
    Xbox.

5.Put a check in the Enable box.

6.Select Save Settings.

Now you have opened the required ports for the Xbox One, there should only be one step left

1. Click Setup across the top.
    2. Click Lan Setup/settings (name may vary on router) from the sub tabs.
    3. Click the Pre-Assigned DHCP IP Addresses button.
    4. Enter in the Xbox's MAC Address and IP Address.
    5. Click Add Static IP or save (name may vary on router).
    Now Powercycle your Xbox and go back to network settings

• Test multiplayer connection
    • Hold the bumpers and triggers on your controller to instantly load the detailed statistics
    • If your NAT says open behind a cone network you should be set

This should ensure you ALWAYS have an open NAT, you may still need to powercycle once in a while to fix some common issues but the NAT should stay open
    in my xbox 3074 says "port range over lap".
  16. taidara Win User

Please people! Keep on topic, and minde why you're posting in the support section.

It's better to use the PM system, if you all want to air personal views. :)
  17. FearedNightmare Win User

You can port forward AND use UPnP. If I only activate UPnP on my router and gateway I get a strict NAT I myself HAVE to portforward and DMZ
Thema:

1. Strict NAT despite being hard wired. - Similar Threads - Strict NAT despite

2. Why does black ops three automatically set my nat type to strict?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does black ops three automatically set my nat type to strict?: I am trying to play some black ops three zombies with my friends but I cannot join them because bo3 says my nat type is strict. But when I go to my Xbox's network settings it says open and all...
  3. Y my nat type on strict how to change it

in XBoX on Consoles
    Y my nat type on strict how to change it: Y my nat type on strict how to change it For me please ff130cad-fe47-4e46-a560-655bafd61a18
  4. My NAT type shows Strict, I've tried port forwarding, restarting my router, as well as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My NAT type shows Strict, I've tried port forwarding, restarting my router, as well as...: So my Xbox series X console will work normal sometimes for online gaming, showing I have am Open NAT type, then out of nowhere usually in the middle of gaming, goes to Strict NAT type. Have tried...
  5. Xbox is connected to internet but I have 100% packet loss, unsuccessful UPnP, and strict NAT.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox is connected to internet but I have 100% packet loss, unsuccessful UPnP, and strict NAT.: Just recently purchased the series X and I am trying to connect it to my college campus wifi. I had no issues with my previous console which was a one s. I am trying to use a wired connection and...
  6. My NAT type is stuck on strict

in XBoX on Consoles
    My NAT type is stuck on strict: I have a 4g Huawei router/modem (B315s-22) (I don't know what it is) which has a mobile Sim in it which were provided by my ISP then the router/modem is directly connected to my Xbox via ethernet....
  7. Why my NAT type is strict? Is there any way to change it to moderate or open NAT type?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why my NAT type is strict? Is there any way to change it to moderate or open NAT type?: [img] I always get 200+ latency and 10-50% packet loss and sometimes the teredo is blocked, how do I fix this? e653aa41-1191-4078-b584-1f2e207ad3a7
  8. Xbox series X with now with Strict NAT after upgrading router

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X with now with Strict NAT after upgrading router: I have an Xbox Series X that I've had online for a while and worked fine with an older router. I purchased a new router, input the proper values, TCP/UDP ports, set a static IP for the Xbox like...
  9. Strict NAT - cannot play FH4 online

in XBoX on Consoles
    Strict NAT - cannot play FH4 online: Both my Xbox companion and the Xbox networking settings have a strict NAT setting, so online playlists in FH4 are joinable, but they don't load in. The only way to exit is to restart the computer....
  10. Double NAT detected - currently in strict NAT type. I will like it to be open please

in XBoX on Consoles
    Double NAT detected - currently in strict NAT type. I will like it to be open please: Double NAT detected - currently in strict NAT type. I will like it to be open please 3d36e8e6-1002-4a11-9210-703c25531f56