So... The Original Xbox Game Star Wars KOTOR... Worth A Buy?

Discus and support So... The Original Xbox Game Star Wars KOTOR... Worth A Buy? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Obviously I never played it and now that original Xbox games are showing up I thought I'd see if anyone had actually played it.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Goth Vampirella, Oct 24, 2017.

1. So... The Original Xbox Game Star Wars KOTOR... Worth A Buy?

Obviously I never played it and now that original Xbox games are showing up I thought I'd see if anyone had actually played it.

:)

Goth Vampirella, Oct 24, 2017
  2. Wanted Games on Demand: Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic I + II

April 26 KOTOR 2 and other Star Wars original Xbox games will be released

Corrupted Codes, Oct 24, 2017
  3. Cashmier
    Cashmier Guest
    Cashmier, Oct 24, 2017
  4. carseclass
    carseclass Guest

i played star wars knights old Repubic on the Original Xbox console and other games too

carseclass, Oct 24, 2017
  5. BluSwirl
    BluSwirl Guest
    I just popped open my archives and ogled the original retail box! Looks a million bucks... ditto for everything else I've safely stored away in mint condition. But then I noticed the date of manufacture: 2003. Okaaay... that's FOURTEEN YEARS ago! If you've
    never played (or loved) a Mass Effect, then go for it. But without the benefit of a remaster or anything to make it seem like a modern experience, I do fear that you'll come away less than impressed.

Back in the day, it was a benchmark for the genre - the best 'choose your own Star Wars adventure' there ever was! But I do fear that time hasn't been kind to this one. Kudos for mentioning it, though. At least it brings attention to the fact that there
    was a whole generation of classics playable on Xbox!

BluSwirl, Oct 24, 2017
  6. Daft Badger
    Daft Badger Guest
    Despite it's age KOTOR is still one of the best games ever made.

It's impact may be lost on people who have played games like Mass Effect.

A lot of the things you see in the Mass Effect games were done first in KOTOR

It has a brilliant plot twist that no one see coming at the time

The story is classic Star Wars but 4000 years before the films so there's Sith everywhere,it's before the "rule of two" was a thing.

You can play light or dark side & that will affect your squad mates as well.

Dread to think how many hours I put into this game back in the day.

One thing people may find confusing is the white/black button promts due to the controllers being different then.

White button is left bumper,black button is right bumper.

I did make a thread here about original xbox backward compatible games when it was announced but as usual with these forums once something gets pushed
    to page 2 it get's ignored.

Daft Badger, Oct 25, 2017
  7. The AI pathfinding is idiotic. I've reached doors only to get the message "You can't leave until your party is assembled." I've had to go back half a level because Carth couldn't work out how to walk around a table without my guidance. It isn't a rare thing
    either, it happens far too regularly.

However that being said the game is awesome and I'm going to say one of the few I think you should absolutely get for the PC instead of the consoles. From the widescreen to the restoration mod (which adds back so much content), the console version just feels
    like a hollow experience in this day and age.

Zen Like Calm, Oct 25, 2017
  8. KING SWEJIN
    KING SWEJIN Guest

my new one s decided to not read any discs after using my mint cond. copy of kotor, was hell keen n happy with game its self. had too hard reset 4 times to read anything.. had some 300mb update that would not start before disappearing. bar that the game
    is great works fast too i remembered 10 min loading screens back in the day lol.

KING SWEJIN, Oct 25, 2017
  9. Daft Badger
    Daft Badger Guest
    The update was for the "upscaled" graphics.

Zen is right though,if you want this looking it's best & in 16:9 then play it on the pc.

Either way,it's one of those games you must play at least once.

Daft Badger, Oct 25, 2017
  10. Hmmm... I really don't play anything on PC so I shall try this me thinks. Obviously it won't look awesome but then, some games today look like they were made in that thing called the 80s. lol

Goth Vampirella, Oct 26, 2017
  11. BluSwirl
    BluSwirl Guest
    At the time of posting, I didn't realize that the first wave of OG back-compats was actually a thing! There was a tile advertising as much on the dashboard, so I poked my nose in and saw that BLACK - one of the greatest gun games I've ever played! - was
    one of the contenders. I fired up the OG disc and was taken aback by a FULL HD splash screen in 16:9!! What the... surely the game can't be running in this resolution?

It wasn't :/ Once the game proper loaded it was framed inside a 4:3 viewing window, and as much as I *wanted* to revisit the highs of yesteryear, I just couldn't bring myself to wince at the screen. Granted, the original game was prolly running @480p so
    at the very least this would've/could've been 720p, but FULL HD? Not even close! The sound design was phenomenal, but it just shows how far we've come when I went looking for default subtitles. There wasn't any :/ Strike 2.

Given that today has seen the launch of three triple-A's across the board (AC Origins, Wolfy II and that oversized plumber running amok), I couldn't for another moment entertain the prospect of going backwards... just because I could. Black was a second-generation
    game on the original Xbox and it totally rocked at release! The 'attract' screen was widely viewed as fetishistic, and I don't mind admitting that back in the day I was spellbound by its intensity. But that was eleven years ago, and there's been a lot of water
    (and dead bodies) under the bridge since then.

By the same token, I sighed long and hard after finishing KOTOR for the first time, but it was a mammoth undertaking. I persevered with it because it was the best-in-class of its era. But could I go back and persevere with it TODAY? Not a chance! Strike
    3 So... The Original Xbox Game Star Wars KOTOR... Worth A Buy? :p

BluSwirl, Nov 1, 2018
  12. Goth Vampirella Win User

Hmmm... I really don't play anything on PC so I shall try this me thinks. Obviously it won't look awesome but then, some games today look like they were made in that thing called the 80s. lol
  13. BluSwirl Win User

I just popped open my archives and ogled the original retail box! Looks a million bucks... ditto for everything else I've safely stored away in mint condition. But then I noticed the date of manufacture: 2003. Okaaay... that's FOURTEEN YEARS ago! If you've
    never played (or loved) a Mass Effect, then go for it. But without the benefit of a remaster or anything to make it seem like a modern experience, I do fear that you'll come away less than impressed.

Back in the day, it was a benchmark for the genre - the best 'choose your own Star Wars adventure' there ever was! But I do fear that time hasn't been kind to this one. Kudos for mentioning it, though. At least it brings attention to the fact that there
    was a whole generation of classics playable on Xbox!
  14. BluSwirl Win User

Zen is right though,if you want this looking it's best & in 16:9 then play it on the pc.
    At the time of posting, I didn't realize that the first wave of OG back-compats was actually a thing! There was a tile advertising as much on the dashboard, so I poked my nose in and saw that BLACK - one of the greatest gun games I've ever played! - was
    one of the contenders. I fired up the OG disc and was taken aback by a FULL HD splash screen in 16:9!! What the... surely the game can't be running in this resolution?

It wasn't :/ Once the game proper loaded it was framed inside a 4:3 viewing window, and as much as I *wanted* to revisit the highs of yesteryear, I just couldn't bring myself to wince at the screen. Granted, the original game was prolly running @480p so
    at the very least this would've/could've been 720p, but FULL HD? Not even close! The sound design was phenomenal, but it just shows how far we've come when I went looking for default subtitles. There wasn't any :/ Strike 2.

Given that today has seen the launch of three triple-A's across the board (AC Origins, Wolfy II and that oversized plumber running amok), I couldn't for another moment entertain the prospect of going backwards... just because I could. Black was a second-generation
    game on the original Xbox and it totally rocked at release! The 'attract' screen was widely viewed as fetishistic, and I don't mind admitting that back in the day I was spellbound by its intensity. But that was eleven years ago, and there's been a lot of water
    (and dead bodies) under the bridge since then.

By the same token, I sighed long and hard after finishing KOTOR for the first time, but it was a mammoth undertaking. I persevered with it because it was the best-in-class of its era. But could I go back and persevere with it TODAY? Not a chance! Strike
    3 :p
  15. Daft Badger Win User

Despite it's age KOTOR is still one of the best games ever made.

It's impact may be lost on people who have played games like Mass Effect.

A lot of the things you see in the Mass Effect games were done first in KOTOR

It has a brilliant plot twist that no one see coming at the time

The story is classic Star Wars but 4000 years before the films so there's Sith everywhere,it's before the "rule of two" was a thing.

You can play light or dark side & that will affect your squad mates as well.

Dread to think how many hours I put into this game back in the day.

One thing people may find confusing is the white/black button promts due to the controllers being different then.

White button is left bumper,black button is right bumper.

I did make a thread here about original xbox backward compatible games when it was announced but as usual with these forums once something gets pushed
    to page 2 it get's ignored.
  16. Daft Badger Win User

Either way,it's one of those games you must play at least once.
Thema:

1. So... The Original Xbox Game Star Wars KOTOR... Worth A Buy? - Similar Threads - Original Game Star

2. Hard drive space reduced after game reinstallation compared with original installation

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hard drive space reduced after game reinstallation compared with original installation: I installed two games originally, MS Flight Simulator and the last game was Starfield. My free hard drive space was around 800 GB. I reinstalled both games and the free hard drive space was around...
  3. Original Xbox One With Lifetime Game Pass??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Original Xbox One With Lifetime Game Pass??: Hello, I found a original Xbox One Console at a thrift store several months ago and it seems to have lifetime game pass because once I signed into it I am able to download games from game pass...
  4. If I switch from an original Xbox one to a series s is there a way to keep my game data

in XboX Insiders
    If I switch from an original Xbox one to a series s is there a way to keep my game data: So I might be getting a series a as I have the original Xbox one and it’s very slow. I am going to use the same Microsoft account and everything so will all my game progress save. My main worry is...
  5. I just bought an original Xbox game to play on my Xbox 360, and for some reason, it doesn’t...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I just bought an original Xbox game to play on my Xbox 360, and for some reason, it doesn’t...: It was tested on an original Xbox and it worked. I downloaded the most recent update, and even still, it will not work. I have checked, and it is on the list of those that SHOULD be compatible. It...
  6. Any way to get the original Gauntlet game re-listed on Xbox 360, One, Series x ls???

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Any way to get the original Gauntlet game re-listed on Xbox 360, One, Series x ls???: Is there any way of getting the original arcade Gauntlet re-listed on Xbox 360, One, or Series XlS? Or any other delisted XBLA games? 149aba9c-2f79-4864-9482-788d210ae3f5
  7. Are original Xbox games I have on disc backwards compatible with Xbox one S?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Are original Xbox games I have on disc backwards compatible with Xbox one S?: I am an owner of an Xbox one S, and I have been looking to buy a disc copy of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3 or Rainbow Six Lockdown, which are original Xbox games. If I were to insert one of these...
  8. Will I be able to play the disc version of Batman Arkham Origins. It's a Xbox 360 game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Will I be able to play the disc version of Batman Arkham Origins. It's a Xbox 360 game: I was just wondering if I can play the disc version of Batman Arkham Origins. I have found it on the Xbox website but I don't know if I'll be able to play it. Thank you I actually miss playing...
  9. Can't remember original Epic Games account information, how do I redeem V-Bucks?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't remember original Epic Games account information, how do I redeem V-Bucks?: I got my Xbox One a few years ago (I believe in 2018) and I don't remember setting up an Epic Games account when we downloaded Fortnite, but I seem to need it when I want to redeem V-Bucks. Every...
  10. I cannot get into my original gameloft account on the my little pony game

in XBoX Accessibility
    I cannot get into my original gameloft account on the my little pony game: I cannot get in my original gameloft account for the my little pony game. Had it about two years ago on the same device and deleted it due to lavk of storage, now i have it back and when i go to...