Setting the video output to 720p on the console, gives black screen when streaming to...

Discus and support Setting the video output to 720p on the console, gives black screen when streaming to... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I've just got a brand new Xbox Series X to replace my old One X. But streaming to Windows stopped working. I've set my Series X to 720p, and for now I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Moskus, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Moskus
    Moskus Guest

Setting the video output to 720p on the console, gives black screen when streaming to...

I've just got a brand new Xbox Series X to replace my old One X. But streaming to Windows stopped working.

I've set my Series X to 720p, and for now I have to keep it at that (my HDMI matrix doesn't extend the signal far enough with 1080p). If I switch the display to 1080p, the Xbox streams fine to Windows (but my HDMI matrix can't get a signal), if I switch back I only get sound from the Xbox through Windows (but the matrix works again).

Everything else is OK. NAT is open. I can connect to the Series X through the internet if I want to, and Streaming to Android is fine with both 1080p and 720p.

Is this a bug? Am I the only one with this problem?

I'm a bit disappointed that I upgraded the Xbox and the functionality went down... (don't get me wrong, the Series X is excellent and a great upgrade, but I'd like to stream a 720p signal too).

:)

Moskus, Aug 10, 2022
  2. Moskus Win User

Setting the video output to 720p on the console, gives black screen when streaming to Windows (Android is fine)

Thanks for the help and patience, Josef.

After installing the latest updates for both the console and app, it started working. I'm assuming Microsoft did something to make it work. 720p is no longer a problem.

Apparently, I was wrong. See below.
  3. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Setting the video output to 720p on the console, gives black screen when streaming to Windows (Android is fine)

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.

I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite this Moskus

You should be able to remote play at 720p using your computer.

In order to isolate a bit more your issue, are you able to test connecting the Console directly to your screen HDMI port?

Which resolution your PC handle? Are you able to set it to 720p manually and try in that way?

Are you on Windows 11 or 10?

And, which troubleshooting steps you have done so far to fix this, in that way I can advise you different things or how to proceed

Greetings
  4. Moskus Win User

Alright, I spoke too soon. After the update, it seems I have to actually reinstall the Xbox app to get any game play visible. If not, I don't get the spaceship launching.

And now I can't see the 720p image streaming from my console. I could the last time I tried.

So:

• 720p is possible, but due to unknown issues it stops working.
    • Both console streaming and xCloud stops showing anything, like the launch spaceship.
    Very weird!

EDIT: To add to this, I can get it working doing the following steps.

1. (Uninstall the Xbox app on Win11.)
    2. Install Xbox app again ("winget install Xbox", very nice!)
    3. Start to stream from my console on my Android phone
    4. Exit the stream
    5. Start the Xbox app on Windows
    6. Start streaming from the console
    7. ???
    8. Profit.
    I don't know why this works, but it does.

If I close the stream and open it again, I only get a black screen and have to start from the top of the list above.

This is on a Surface Laptop Studio. I'd hope that Microsoft products would work together just fine...

EDIT: It turns out that reinstalling is unnecessary, I just need to run "winget install Xbox" right after I have started a stream on Android.
  5. Moskus Win User

Hi Josef, and thanks for getting back to me. :)

• The black screen happens on both Windows 10 and 11. I've tested 5 different computers, two with Win11 and three with Win10.
    • It happens on all resolutions I have tested, to 1080p up to whatever my Surface Laptop Studio has.
    • It happens on both the official Xbox app and the "Xbox Game Streaming (Test App)".
    I haven't tested changing the resolution on any monitors to 1280x720, but I can try. (However, it would be weird if that was the case). EDIT: This had no effect either, switching to 720p resolution on Windows still showed a black screen.

I can hear the menu sounds when I move the controller around, but I can't see any image.

Streaming from my Series X to my Android phone (Samsung S22 Ultra) works perfect.

xCloud works perfect on both Windows and Android.

EDIT: 720p resolution did not help.
  6. JosefLBohorquez Win User

May I know if you tried power cycling your console?

1. Turn off your console by pressing the Xbox button on the front of the console for about 10 seconds, until it shuts down completely.

2. Unplug the console's power cable from the console and from the power outlet. Wait 5 minutes.

Important: Be sure to wait at least 5 minutes. This step resets the power supply.

3. Plug the console power cable back in.

4. Press the Xbox button on your console to turn it on.

After that, try to remove and re-add your profile on the console.

In case you need it, here's how to remove and re-add:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/account-pro...

Also disconnect your router from power for about 3 minutes. Then connect it again an when everything is working, try again

-----

If you already tried that, what about disabling and re-enabling remote features?

Settings > Devices & connections > Remote features and turn off everything

Once the console restarts, enable everything and give it a new try.

**As soon as I arrive home, I'm going to test this with my Series X. In that way I can advise you new things
Thema:

1. Setting the video output to 720p on the console, gives black screen when streaming to... - Similar Threads - Setting video output

2. Xbox rewards app, says to update console location. I live in UK and system is set for UK

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox rewards app, says to update console location. I live in UK and system is set for UK: Everytime I try to use xbox rewards app, it says to update consoles location. I live in UK and system is set to UK. I've lost a 50 week streak due to this fault, been like this for 5 days now...
  3. How do i get game bar capture to record my mic when it is set to record everything?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How do i get game bar capture to record my mic when it is set to record everything?: My game bar will record everything but my mic when it is set to record everything. When it is set to record the game and mic it will record the game and my mic. I have tried to repair and reset...
  4. How can you change the "Safety settings for Xbox messages" on the Xbox app on PC?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How can you change the "Safety settings for Xbox messages" on the Xbox app on PC?: I no longer have an Xbox console. It was damaged when my basement flooded. I have been trying to play Ark: Survival Ascended and noticed that the Xbox app version for PC filters letters, making it...
  5. I changed my video settings around and I now can’t see my screen

in XBoX on Consoles
    I changed my video settings around and I now can’t see my screen: Please someone help I’ve changed my video settings and I accidentally restarted my console somehow so I can’t access my settings, remote play needs setting up so I can’t see my screen on my phone...
  6. Windows Game Bar Video Has No Sound - Audio Capturing was set to "All"

in XBoX on Windows
    Windows Game Bar Video Has No Sound - Audio Capturing was set to "All": Hello, I am using Windows 11 and took a video using Windows Game Bar. I could hear audio the entire time I took the capture, and capturing settings were set to "All" yet the video has no sound....
  7. Best video settings to use with new gaming monitor on Series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Best video settings to use with new gaming monitor on Series X: Hi I am using a Xbox Series X and just got a HyperX Armada 27 ([link](https://hyperx.com/products/hyperx-armada-27-gaming-monitor?variant=42751899435165)) - don't worry, only paid $180 for it haha...
  8. doom 3 on pc windows 11 : i changed the video and resolution settings to max and now it...

in XBoX on Windows
    doom 3 on pc windows 11 : i changed the video and resolution settings to max and now it...: doom 3 on pc windows 11 : i bought it and installed it and launched it : it was displayed in window low resolution, and i could play it. so i changed the video settings and resolution to max :...
  9. how to set up video or picture settings

in XBoX Games and Apps
    how to set up video or picture settings: I need help to set up the world of tanks video or picture on xbox one because everything looks big and narrow! I like the wider size like xbox 360... Is there to set you xbox one look like...
  10. Help me understand and set up Xbox Video for a Living Room Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    Help me understand and set up Xbox Video for a Living Room Xbox One: Here's the situation: We have an Xbox One driving our entire Living Room media center. Three of us (me, wife, son) all have Microsoft Accounts logged into it. Is it possible to have MY Xbox...