Series X wont read some external hard drives

Discus and support Series X wont read some external hard drives in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So I have a 4tb segate full of movies. Last time I used it. It worked amazing. But now I go on and doesnt even register or list as connected. Ive... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Superman290496, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Series X wont read some external hard drives

So I have a 4tb segate full of movies. Last time I used it. It worked amazing. But now I go on and doesnt even register or list as connected.

Ive plugged it into my laptop and works fine there. And every movie is still on it. **** it back into the xbox and nothing.

It reads my 4tb gaming one perfect (exactly the same and exactly the same age as I got both the same day about 6mths ago)

Ive also tried 2 smaller media ones and reads them fine. But not the big 4tb

I dont want to have to format it if I can as there 300+ movies on it that will take hours to move.

But if I have to I will.

Ive done everything the fourms have said to do. Hard reset. Make sure its on instant on mode etc and nothing has helped. As Ive read ive found it is super common.

Is this a warranty replacement thing or wait for a bug update to fix or just suck it up? Im pretty disappointed

:)

Superman290496, Nov 9, 2021
  2. Severed Digits Win User

I have this same problem but with an xbox one. Right after the update the external hard drive wasn't being detected. Tried with a brand new drive with the same result.
  3. Francia J. Win User

I appreciate the detailed information, Superman290496. Please let me know how it goes.

By the way, what external hard drive do you have? I will also check options that we have.
  4. DavidHill_68 Win User

I have this same problem but with an xbox one. Right after the update the external hard drive wasn't being detected. Tried with a brand new drive with the same result.
    Same here, a recent xbox os update broke compatibility with some external hard drives.

My seagate 5tb media drive stopped being detected by my xbox one s.

Drive checks out fine on a pc with no issues, however, xbox cannot detect the same drive.

I purchased a new 5tb WD external drive and after formatting on a pc it was not detected by xbox os also.

After 2 months of research I eventually fixed the extetnal drive not detected problem.

I used the Western Digital quick format tool to format the external drive and it finally solved the problem.

My 5tb media drive is now detected every time and the initial problem seems to be due to an xbox os update and certain partition types on extetnal hard drives.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-2-tb-in/d26d09fd-d2a1-45f2-8353-99215964ffff
  5. Superman290496 Win User

So the hard drive is working fine on the xbox one and the laptop. So I dont believe it is the hard drive.

2 weeks ago it worked fine on the xbox series x

Now it isnt even appearing as plugged in anymore.

Only shows my gaming hard drive as plugged in.

I've changed plugs. I've changed which ones is plugged into. My pc repair friend came over and looked and the hard drive itself is perfect or it wouldn't be working on the xbox one or laptop either.

After I posted this I looked on the net to find on this site a few others with the same issues. So by the looks it is definitely xbox that's the problem. I'm currently moving all games to the game hard drive and going to reset the xbox and see if that helps.
  6. JohnimusPrime Win User

Update: Xbox support have sent the correct link. Which doesn't detail the issue at all. That'll be good to follow for updates then...

"Our sincere apologies try this link instead https://t.co/cF6gJVbdOH, unfortunately we're unable to provide the exact date regarding the next update, however our dedicated experts are working on it. We're counting on your cooperation in order to resolve the issue from your end."
Thema:

1. Series X wont read some external hard drives - Similar Threads - Series wont read

2. Why wont my 360 games connect to xbox live on my xbox series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why wont my 360 games connect to xbox live on my xbox series X: I'm having some serious trouble atm with trying to get 360 games to work on my series X. These are all games that until today worked fine. Now it will not connect to xbox live for the cloud or my...
  3. Xbox elite series 2 controller wont power on.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox elite series 2 controller wont power on.: Hi, my xbox elite series 2 controller will not power on unless I 'Jump Start' the controller. Basically, plug it in, power on and unplug it. If it is off for longer than 1 min, I will not be able...
  4. my wirless mouse wont coonect to my xbox series s with usb dongle. What do i do?

in XBoX on Consoles
    my wirless mouse wont coonect to my xbox series s with usb dongle. What do i do?: my wirless mouse wont coonect to my xbox series s with usb dongle. What do i do? 76e8cdf4-62ad-445c-b601-011e8731c856
  5. Xbox series X light wont stop blinking

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X light wont stop blinking: Hello, I have had my series x for a year and about 2 days ago it just keeps blinking and blinking and it wont turn off. I have to unplug it for it to shut down or if i click the eject button it...
  6. Series X wont detect Seagate expansion card anymore since last update

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X wont detect Seagate expansion card anymore since last update: So, after last nights console update my series x doesnt detect the seagate expansion card anymore. This sucks. Anyone else with this issue? 79cd6954-eca6-4b71-830d-0d3eb21cb5b3
  7. My xbox series x wont update any games itll update for a couple of minutes then just stop...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox series x wont update any games itll update for a couple of minutes then just stop...: Xbox Series X wont update any games 0c506631-e9c2-4648-ae3a-4e83dd180656
  8. Xbox series X wont sign in to account and wont connect to xbox network

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X wont sign in to account and wont connect to xbox network: I have an issue where my xbox wont connect to the xbox network and wont sign in to my account. I have searched online and tried everything. I have restarted my console a bunch now and also tried...
  9. my xbox series s wont connect to the internet :(

in XBoX on Consoles
    my xbox series s wont connect to the internet :(: i recently hopped on to my xbox series s and my internet just wouldn't work, so i turned off my router for 30 secs and that wouldn't work, then i checked if my router was filtering out my xbox...
  10. Xbox Series X/One compatible disk wont read in Xbox One

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Series X/One compatible disk wont read in Xbox One: My copy of Sonic Origins Plus will not work in Xbox One. No matter what, it will either not make sounds, or spin up a few times and not start downloading. What is going on?...