Series X USB Ports & Games not booting

Discus and support Series X USB Ports & Games not booting in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I'll try and word this the best I can. I use a wired Razer controller and an external Seagate HDD for older games (both Xbox compatible). I usually... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Sam Cheatle, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Sam Cheatle
    Sam Cheatle Guest

I'll try and word this the best I can.

I use a wired Razer controller and an external Seagate HDD for older games (both Xbox compatible). I usually have the Seagate in the lower rear USB, and the Razer device plugged into the front USB, the top rear USB unused.

The first time I boot my Xbox Series X in a day it will boot and register the above, but not let me boot any game. There is no error message after any click of a game or wait after. I try off & on, usually no difference.

After a hard reset when I start up the console it wont notice all of the devices or wont notice some of them, in the latter instance it usually picks up the Seagate, and not the Razer controller. In some instances I've noticed some lights working on the controller, but these are just the indicators for power & which button map setup I'm using. (Games would load if I were to use another controller at this point)

After multiple variations of soft & hard resets switching the controller's port between the front & the back it will then start up & recognise the controller, but lose the Seagate HDD. I then repeat this until it starts up with all devices. I do also try the unplugging all connections and waiting 5-10 minutes in this process as well.

This has been my pre-game ritual this week, before this the setup worked fine.

If anyone has anything to help with any of this that would be grand, I know its dead strange.

Thanks

:)

Sam Cheatle, Aug 18, 2022
  2. [ A J ] Win User

Hi, Sam! thank you for reaching out.

My name is AJ, I'm an Independent Advisor for the Xbox Community.

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing some issues with your console.

I have a few questions regarding your setup:

- Is your console's sleep mode set to "Standby"?

- Is your console plugged directly into one of the wall's outlets? sometimes extension cords, surge protectors, and power strips can cause this kind of problem.

- Besides your HDD and the Razer controller, do you have any other external device plugged into your console?

I'll be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards.
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox series X|S alternative high speed storage expansion

Hi,

No, sorry it won't work. The USB ports on the Series X|S are USB 3.1 which have a maximum speed of 500MB/s. This means, no matter what drive you buy, no matter what speed it's rated at, you're stuck at the max speed of the USB port.

The only drives that can be used for Series X|S games are either the internal or the storage expansion card.

I have the Expansion card for my Series X. I also have an external 2TB USB SSD in an enclosure. I can only use the external SSD for Xbox One games. They do load a lot faster than a mechanical hard drive, but I can't play my Series X games off it.
  4. Bokor Zombie Win User

So will the series X have an optical out port?

Yes mate the Xbox Series X will have an optical out port, 2 HDMI ports, 2 USB-C port, Ethernet
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Hello, my question is what's all the ssd expansion card I can use for xbox series x. Thanks

Only the Seagate Expansion and the WD Black C50 work for Series X|S games. All other SSD's can only be connected via the USB port and they are too slow for Series X|S games
  6. andersonpassos Win User

Series X not recognizing External SSD as USB 3.0

Thank you for contact us! I'm Anderson, an Independent Consultant and a Microsoft user like you.

Good evening

Ensure that you are using the correct USB port on your Series X. Some consoles have multiple USB ports, but not all of them may support USB 3.0 speeds. Check your Series X's manual or support website to see which ports support USB 3.0 speeds.

Try connecting the SSD enclosure to a different USB port on your Series X. If the first port you tried did not work, it is possible that there is an issue with that specific port. Try a different one to see if it recognizes the SSD enclosure as USB 3.0.

Verify that the USB cable you are using is rated for USB 3.0 speeds. Some USB cables may not be rated for USB 3.0 speeds and can cause the device to not be recognized as USB 3.0. Ensure that the USB cable you are using is rated for USB 3.0 speeds and is in good condition.
Thema:

1. Series X USB Ports & Games not booting - Similar Threads - Series USB Ports

2. Xbox series S usb ports

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series S usb ports: will the USB ports on an xbox s charge and after market controller charger? - Thanks b862a6af-26d0-4991-a64d-cb80420b758a
  3. How can I fix the USB port on the Xbox series X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How can I fix the USB port on the Xbox series X?: My USB port is not working. eb61813a-29d9-401d-9798-10dd411f2927
  4. Do Microsoft manufacture USB Hub ports for the Xbox Series S by any chance?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Do Microsoft manufacture USB Hub ports for the Xbox Series S by any chance?: Do Microsoft manufacture USB Hub ports for the Xbox Series S by any chance? 78a1bc49-9177-478b-926a-a93163056d03
  5. Usb port issue. Xbox series x.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Usb port issue. Xbox series x.: I’ve been using all 3 ports on my Xbox series x for about a year now. I have a steelseries apex pro mini keyboard, Razer basilisk v3, and steelseries arctis pro all plugged into my Xbox....
  6. Can headphones be connected to the USB C port of the Xbox Series X controller???

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can headphones be connected to the USB C port of the Xbox Series X controller???: Can headphones be connected to the USB C port of the Xbox Series X controller??? fd461cf0-13b3-4de4-9c40-15543c82b254
  7. does anyone know how to fix all 3 of the xbox usb ports not working on my xbox series ?...

in XBoX on Consoles
    does anyone know how to fix all 3 of the xbox usb ports not working on my xbox series ?...: hey, my Xbox was working perfectly fine for a long time whenever I just woke up and turned it on none of the three USB ports were giving power to anything I had plugged into it so I tried...
  8. My series x usb ports smell of burning if I plug in my ssd or anything else usb

in XBoX on Consoles
    My series x usb ports smell of burning if I plug in my ssd or anything else usb: The trouble only started this morning Thursday 2nd November I have owned my console from new for a couple of years now and never had a problem before today everything else works fine I just can’t...
  9. The front usb port of my Xbox series s is not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    The front usb port of my Xbox series s is not working: The front USB port of my Xbox series S is not working anybody give me some suggestions to fix it? When I plug any usb into the front port it doesn’t work but the ports on the back of my Xbox work....
  10. I have an Xbox series s and I want to get a racing sim but all of my usb ports are taken up...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I have an Xbox series s and I want to get a racing sim but all of my usb ports are taken up...: I want to know before I purchase if it is possible to hook up an external multiple usb cable into a signal usb port on the Xbox and still get every function a3e273c9-621c-492e-89a8-293f4f6a3b84