Series X - Should I be using 4k @ 60hz or 1440 @ 120hz with VRR?

Discus and support Series X - Should I be using 4k @ 60hz or 1440 @ 120hz with VRR? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hey all, As per the title, my TV (Samsung Q9FN) can support 4k at 60hz or 1440p at 120hz with VRR, what is the best option? I thought that if you set... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Gravity17, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Gravity17
    Gravity17 Guest

Hey all,

As per the title, my TV (Samsung Q9FN) can support 4k at 60hz or 1440p at 120hz with VRR, what is the best option?

I thought that if you set the resolution/refresh rate in the dashboard then the games would use this setting, however I see that some are changing these settings upon boot. How should this work?

So for instance, in the dashboard I have 1440p at 120hz and when I load watchdogs legions the TV switches to 4k @ 60hz, whereas Black Ops retains the 1440p @ 120hz setting (but disables ray tracing).

To be honest not much of an issue as both options look incredible, but just wondered what is best to use if given the choice.

It's also annoying that some games have their graphical settings shown but are are locked in game and you have to amend them in the dashboard. Black Ops Cold War being the prime example - has anyone else found this?

TIA!

:)

Gravity17, Nov 16, 2020
  2. [Farscape] Win User

Xbox Series X Compatibility with the Alienware 34” UltraWide Monitor

what i can gather is hdmi 1.4 supports 1080p at 120hz and 1440p at 75hz so it will run with series x but you will be stuck at 1440/60hz most likely.

now if the series x had display port that would solve the issue.

most games will be targeting 60fps on 1440 and 4k anyway on the series x with some varying degree.
  3. schnurren Win User

1440 @120hz or 4K HDR @60hz

Altough the Xbox One X supports 1440 and 120Hz, games are not going to run on 120Hz, console is not prepared for that yet.

So my best advice is to go for 4K HDR if your monitor supports it, and when the Series X is released, you will be able to use 1440/120Hz!
  4. Ignroavo Win User

Xbox One X VRR Issue

I had the same issue using a Denon hdmi 2.1 AVR. I solved it using VRR with 120hz, but I have a hdmi 2.1 tv and a Series X, not One X. I guess you are stuck with 4k without vrr or full hd 120 and vrr. Another solution is to connect the Xbox directly to the tv and use arc/earc for audio, but One X does not support 4k 120hz, so you are stuck with full hd 120 if you use vrr.
  5. ooO StAsH Ooo Win User

Xbox one x not displaying 1440/120

I don't have enough info to confirm if the Series X will be able to run 144hz on a monitor such as the one you have purchased but feel fairly confident that 120hz will be possible since it will be using HDMI 2.1

From what i've read 'HDMI to displayport' adapters are usually limited to 60hz at this point in time as most displays are using HDMI 2.0 so it wouldn't really be worth bothering with as you would still be running 60hz at 1440p as the Xbox One X uses
    HDMI 2.0 which will only allow 60hz maximum for 4K or 1440p (1080p/120hz yes, but not 1440p/120hz). Even if your monitor uses HDMI 2.1 it still has to connect to HDMI 2.0 on the console so 120hz would not be possible at 1440p.

Since HDMI 2.0 is what current gen uses 60hz is the optimum setting for 4K and all games are
    capped at 30-60fps on the console (also due to the fact that most console users will be connecting to TVs and 60hz is pretty much what most HD/4K TVs are capable of). This should change with the Series X which will have HDMI 2.1 (capable of 120hz)
    but seems unlikely that 144hz will be possible on the console. I think the best you could expect is to be able to get 4K/120hz with HDMI 2.1 on the Series X although it is said that it will support up to 8K on TVs/Monitors that are capable.

My recommendation would be to get a monitor that's 4K HDR 120hz as this should be able to get the best of current gen (1440/60hz) and Series X (120hz) without paying extra for 144hz which, as stated in my last reply, would only be useful for Gaming PCs and
    not consoles.

Hope this info helps you decide which monitor to go with and has helped in any way to make things a little clearer in regards to why the settings may be working the way they are.

Stay safe and Happy Gaming!

XBA
  6. joshuaD13 Win User

Xbox One X 120hz Option on LG 32gk650f-b

For all monitors or just this one?. I'm seeing sites saying 1080 and 1440 support for 120hz but 4k is 60hz.
Thema:

1. Series X - Should I be using 4k @ 60hz or 1440 @ 120hz with VRR? - Similar Threads - Series Should using

2. Should I start a new repair order or not?- Xbox Series X Repair

in XBoX on Windows
    Should I start a new repair order or not?- Xbox Series X Repair: I created a repair order for my Xbox last month when the disc drive stopped working, it is due to be shipped to the repair centre, but for a long time now it has been stuck at the UPS access point...
  3. Should I get Xbox series s or the series x?

in XboX Insiders
    Should I get Xbox series s or the series x?: There’s a series s with 2 memory card and 2 controllers but it’s cheap to get but there’s a series x going for 300, would getting the series S be worth to get rn? submitted by...
  4. What type of monitor should I get for the Xbox Series X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    What type of monitor should I get for the Xbox Series X?: Hi there, I'm currently using a 24 inch, 1080p, 75hz monitor (Asus VG245H) for gaming on my Xbox Series X but I want to upgrade to be able to game at 120fps. I play FPS games (mainly Halo...
  5. My Xbox elite series 2 controllers expansion Port is not working what should I do

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox elite series 2 controllers expansion Port is not working what should I do: I sent the controller in through the warranty I guess it was not too included in the warranty because when I got it back the expansion port still was not fixed 77df2058-537a-431f-9112-7f60d6c2e9f0
  6. Should I be worried about the Xbox Series S power cord port wearing and tearing?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Should I be worried about the Xbox Series S power cord port wearing and tearing?: I am simply worried because I don’t want to ever have to get it fixed. 763026f9-1544-4e32-bcf7-29c30dce81f7
  7. What to do if Microsoft hasn’t fixed my Xbox Series X in 4 straight returns, what should I do?

in XBoX on Windows
    What to do if Microsoft hasn’t fixed my Xbox Series X in 4 straight returns, what should I do?: So my Xbox series X has constantly had this problem where it will just randomly shut off during use, and I have sent it in to the Microsoft repair center 4 times now. Every time I’ve gotten it...
  8. When I go on my Xbox series x it says “if home still won’t launch. Reinstalling should fix...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When I go on my Xbox series x it says “if home still won’t launch. Reinstalling should fix...: When I go on my Xbox series x it says “if home still won’t launch. Reinstalling should fix the problem. (0x80073d0f) and I can’t access my profile home or my games and apps...
  9. Elite Series 2 controller issue on purchase. Should I return the product?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Series 2 controller issue on purchase. Should I return the product?: The Elite Series 2 controller allegedly doesn’t come with paddles. But the box says it includes paddles. Is it just faulty product that needs to be returned? Or false advertising that needs to be...
  10. Should I use a surge protector with the series s

in XBoX on Consoles
    Should I use a surge protector with the series s: Does Microsoft reccomed not using a surge protector with the series s and x fcb021bb-f7e5-45ff-874d-004c00779547