Series X keeps closing out of games randomly, a popup that says my external drive is now...

Discus and support Series X keeps closing out of games randomly, a popup that says my external drive is now... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; This happens pretty randomly. Sometimes ill play for hours with zero issue and sometimes itll happen after 5 minutes of restarting the game. My console... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by RinsableClown, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Series X keeps closing out of games randomly, a popup that says my external drive is now...

This happens pretty randomly. Sometimes ill play for hours with zero issue and sometimes itll happen after 5 minutes of restarting the game. My console itself doesnt crash it just closes the game and goes back to the main page

:)

RinsableClown, Mar 20, 2021
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox Series X eternal hard drive

Hi,

If your game is now a Series X optimised title, it can no longer be played off an external hard drive. It must be moved to either the internal storage or an optional expansion card.

External USB hard drives are too slow to play Series X optimised games. None Series X games will still run from your external drive. The internal storage in the Series X is a fast NVME SSD. These drives are several times faster than mechanical hard drives.
  3. HomegrownSilky Win User

The absolute daft price of the new storage modules for series x/s

Games can be stored on external drives. No need to keep redownloading anything. Store Series X/S games on external drive and then transfer to internal drive when wanting to play.
  4. SamuelBazaldua Win User

Xbox Series X/S games "not playable on this device" on brand new Xbox One X

It says "Optimized for series X/S. IT should say "Only for series X/S. Why does Microsoft try to hide this with a little red circle popup note "not playable on this device" If it's not playable then keep it off my Game Pass ultimate and store

that I pay $16.99 monthly for.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Choosing a hardrrive

Fair enough, a slow internet connection is as good excuse as any.

Be aware however that while that drive will work on Series X, you won't be able to play Series X games directly from it. Series X games will require faster access and read speeds. My understanding is that the Series X games can be 'backed up' on an external
    drive and then need to copied/moved over to either the internal SSD or the External SSD's that will be available for the machine.

The Series X will read and play Xbox One games from an external drive though.
  6. ROBIN H 25 Win User

Pre download Xbox Series X games

Not really...

Xbox Series X games / upgrades / updates has to be installed onto the Series X internal or expansion card SSD,

You can have Xbox One games on your external hard drive that will get an Series X upgrade but the games will need to be transferred to the Series X and then the Series X upgrade will need to be downloaded onto the Series X SSD,

As an example...

I have Marvel Avengers on my external hard drive that will get the Series X upgrade and I will transfer the game over to the Series X SSD ready to download and update the game to the Series X version when available.
Thema:

Series X keeps closing out of games randomly, a popup that says my external drive is now...

1. Series X keeps closing out of games randomly, a popup that says my external drive is now... - Similar Threads - Series keeps closing

2. Why does my Xbox series x keeps on saying installation stopped when I'm installing doom...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does my Xbox series x keeps on saying installation stopped when I'm installing doom...: I got Doom Eternal from Gamestop, and it keeps saying the installation stopped for the past three days. I have tried clearing local saved games but that did not work, I tried restarting,...
  3. YouTube keeps restarting my Xbox series s. How can I fix this?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    YouTube keeps restarting my Xbox series s. How can I fix this?: So about 3-4 days ago I came home and turned on my Xbox and went to YouTube. A few seconds after just launching the app, my Xbox shut down. I tried it a few times, soft reset my Xbox, and...
  4. My xbox elite series 2 keeps getting disconnected while fully charged

in XBoX on Windows
    My xbox elite series 2 keeps getting disconnected while fully charged: I paired my controller, it shows 100% battery on bluetooth panel but then from time to time it disconnect for a few seconds but during gaming it's fatal because my character dies because of that....
  5. Why my xbox serie s controller keep flashing when I plug it without battery in the front...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why my xbox serie s controller keep flashing when I plug it without battery in the front...: My xbox serie s controller keep flashing only when I plug it without battery in the front usb port. 33960497-a9b4-4e58-accf-f100bc718934
  6. How come my Xbox Series X keeps encountering party chat errors and can not play online...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How come my Xbox Series X keeps encountering party chat errors and can not play online...: Recently my Xbox Series X has been having issues whenever I try to join or start a party with friends. Error code 0x89231806 will pop up and I have done literally everything I can to fix it. I put...
  7. My Xbox Series S keeps disconnecting first the Controller, then the Internet.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox Series S keeps disconnecting first the Controller, then the Internet.: Since a few Months now my Xbox disconnects first the Controller, and then the Internet. To reconnect, I have to Restart the Xbox. I tried another Controller, another Network, even playing with...
  8. Xbox Series S keeps disconnecting from the internet

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S keeps disconnecting from the internet: I keep playing online games like Overwatch or siege and my Xbox disconnects from the internet and then reconnects. I’ve tried everything, I’ve turned off my wifi and turned it back on, I’ve...
  9. Cross play Turned on, but games keep cross play disabled on Xbox Series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cross play Turned on, but games keep cross play disabled on Xbox Series X: I recently played COD MW3 and ran into an issue where I turned my cross play off for Multiplayer via Xbox settings but when I re enabled cross play for Zombies, every time COD would start I would...
  10. Why does my xbox series x keep closing two of my games after 20 minutes of game play?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does my xbox series x keep closing two of my games after 20 minutes of game play?: We have factory reset the Xbox series x we have uninstalled and reinstalled the games (ark survival and mechanics warrior 5) 3 times . Still 20 to 30 minutes of game play the games freeze and...