Series X intermittent black screen and audio popping when watching blu-ray discs and in menu

Discus and support Series X intermittent black screen and audio popping when watching blu-ray discs and in menu in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; I've had this issue since setting up my Series X. Whenever I play a blu-ray, it will play fine for a bit, but then the screen will go black for a split... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/Chris_skeleton, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Series X intermittent black screen and audio popping when watching blu-ray discs and in menu

I've had this issue since setting up my Series X. Whenever I play a blu-ray, it will play fine for a bit, but then the screen will go black for a split second then flash white. When it flashes white, I get a loud pop from my speakers. Typically it will do this 4-5 times with about 10-20 seconds between. It's basically random however. I've watched a movie where it did 3-4 times at the start and then never again, but I've also played discs where it does it non stop throughout. This also happens within the Xboxes menu, but without the popping. Very rarely does it happen in game. The problem is mostly when watching content on disc.

I have it hooked up to a TCL series 5 through the ARC input and HDMI mode set to 2.0. The series X is set to 4K with allow 24hz, HDR, Auto HDR, and Dolby Vision. Also on 8 bit color depth, I've tried the other color depths as well and it does the same thing. I'm using the supplied HDMI cable.

I have an Onn 4K TV that I have also used it on and it doesn't produce these issues. The Xbox is set to allow 24hz, and 50hz, and allow 4K. It doesn't have HDR.

I've restarted console, messed with settings in TV and Xbox and I can't get it to stop on my TCL TV.

Is anyone else having these issues? Any solutions?

submitted by /u/Chris_skeleton
    [link] [comments]

/u/Chris_skeleton, Nov 19, 2020
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

What does the Xbox 360 use in it’s games? Discs or DVDs? (Or something else)

To clarify;

PlayStation 1 - CD-ROM

Sega Saturn - CD-ROM

Sega Dreamcast - GD-ROM - A proprietary disc format

PlayStation 2 - DVD

Nintendo GameCube - Nintendo Optical Disc

XBOX - DVD

PlayStation 3 - Blu-Ray

XBOX 360 - DVD

Nintendo Wii - Wii Optical disc (basically DVD)

Wii U - Wii U Optical disc (basically Blu-Ray)

PlayStation 4 - Blu-Ray

XBOX One, One S and One X - Blu-Ray

PlayStation 5 - Blu-Ray

XBOX Series X - - Blu-Ray
  3. KhajiBower34 Win User

Why is the Blu-Ray Playback So Buggy On Series X?

Hello SonicXHero, My name is Khaji I am the independent advisor and I will be happy to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with Blu-ray playback on your Xbox Series X. I can offer some steps you can try:

1. Make sure your Xbox Series X is running the latest system software. Updates often include bug fixes and improvements that can address issues with Blu-ray playback.

2. Some Blu-ray discs require firmware updates for proper playback. Check for any available updates on your console.

3. On your Xbox Series X, navigate to Settings > Disc & Blu-ray > Persistent Storage, and select "Clear Persistent Storage." This will clear any temporary data that might be affecting the playback.

4. Go to Settings > Disc & Blu-ray > Blu-ray > Persistent Storage, and select "Reset Blu-ray." This will reset the Blu-ray settings to their default values.

5. If possible, try playing other Blu-ray discs to see if the issue is specific to certain movies or if it occurs with all discs. This can help determine if the problem is related to the console or the specific Blu-ray discs.

It's worth noting that occasionally, certain Blu-ray discs can have compatibility issues with specific players or consoles. If the problem persists with multiple copies of the same disc, it's possible that there may be an issue with the disc's encoding or compatibility with the Xbox Series X.

Thank you very much for your patience and understanding! If you need anything else, do not hesitate to contact us again.
  4. TheMatia003 Win User

Bitstream audio lag on Xbox One X (but not for blu-rays)

I’m going through this on the Sonos support forum now. While I was running a couple of checks, I realised that I had it a little bit wrong here:

With bitstream, there is no audio lag when playing blu-rays and I do NOT tell the Xbox to allow the receiver to decode the audio.

There is audio lag when playing games with this setup.

If I tell the Xbox to allow the receiver to decode blu-ray audio and the audio is being output through HDMI, the audio plays but the blu-ray picture freezes. I don’t believe this is an issue with the tv or Sonos because i can still move through the pop-up
    menus with the picture frozen in the background and the sound playing.

If I disable the HDMI audio and use the Xbox’s optical output directly, it works as per the previous (blu-rays fine, games lagging).
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

If i switch from xbox one to the series S, can i transfer my disc games over so they are downloaded?

what about series X?
    Yes, the Series X has a Blu-Ray drive. Your Xbox One disc games will work on this system.
  6. SLafferty Win User

Xbox one S won't play UHD John Wick

I am having this same issue with the xbox one x. John Wick loads to the menu screen, will start the movie and as soon as it starts there is no video but audio does work for a minute. Then the movie hangs and blu-ray player app closes. Was there any resolution
    to this?
Thema:

Series X intermittent black screen and audio popping when watching blu-ray discs and in menu

1. Series X intermittent black screen and audio popping when watching blu-ray discs and in menu - Similar Threads - Series intermittent black

2. Xbox 360 unable to connect to live on Xbox Series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 unable to connect to live on Xbox Series X: All of the sudden I am unable to connect to Xbox live on reverse compatability games for the Xbox 360 on the Xbox Series X despite being online on the Xbox Series X, hard-wired, with an open NAT...
  3. Elite Series Controller keeps disconnecting

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Series Controller keeps disconnecting: My Xbox elite series 2 controller keeps disconnecting. It was doing it on my like half year old Xbox series x, I got a new controller because I thought that was the issue then ended up getting a...
  4. I have been experiencing intermittent issues trying to record games on my Xbox Series X....

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    I have been experiencing intermittent issues trying to record games on my Xbox Series X....: This is a drive I’ve used with my Xbox for months and never had an issue. The external drive is formatted properly (NTFS) and should be in full compliance for use with Xbox. When I begin...
  5. Xbox Series S 512 Intermittent black screen

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Series S 512 Intermittent black screen: My xbox series s randomly had a black screen that will randomly happen and stay for about 3 seconds then everything goes back to normal. Any ideas on how to fix this. Happens during Fortnite And...
  6. How can I fix my Xbox One X and Series S random intermittent HDMI static?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How can I fix my Xbox One X and Series S random intermittent HDMI static?: Hi, I've had my Xbox one X for many years, and starting last year I began having issues where my LG TVs video signal would randomly start to cutout every few seconds. It shows static, then...
  7. Diagnosing intermittent flicker (Series X, not VRR issue)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Diagnosing intermittent flicker (Series X, not VRR issue): Hello, I'm posting in hopes of diagnosing the cause of an issue I've been having while gaming. Hopefully this doesn't come across as long winded, I'm just trying to be as thorough as possible in...
  8. Xbox X series intermittent black screen flashes

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox X series intermittent black screen flashes: Have just purchased Xbox X in upgrade of my Xbox One. Playing on a Toshiba 50UA3A63DB TV. Had no issues with my xbox one but have had 2 xbox x's and both have been giving me intermittent black...
  9. Pro 2 controller audio intermittent in series x

in XBoX on Consoles
    Pro 2 controller audio intermittent in series x: Pro 2 controller shows the jack connected but it isn't. This is intermittent every 30 seconds also game audio. I reboot console series x and controller but it is not fixed....
  10. XBOX Series X Audio intermittent with A/V receiver

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX Series X Audio intermittent with A/V receiver: Hello, I am having intermittent issues with Audio. I have my XBOX Series X connected (HDMI) to my A/V Receiver Denon x4700H which I recently purchased and was manufactured in 2022. It is going out...