Series X - controller does not shut down when console does - is it repair or software issue?

Discus and support Series X - controller does not shut down when console does - is it repair or software issue? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Did anybody encounter this and can it be fixed? Here is as good description as I could. Xbox series X issue controller does not shut down until after... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by BookishFlunky90, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Series X - controller does not shut down when console does - is it repair or software issue?

Did anybody encounter this and can it be fixed?

Here is as good description as I could.

Xbox series X issue controller does not shut down until after a minute

I have also an external hdd connected

- but have tested below both with and without hdd connected

- I migrated from Xbox One with same hdd

Setting Sleepmode= save energy

----------------------------------

Shutting down console from controller X-button menu

- console shut down as expected

- controller X button remains lit for about a minute or more

- so in contact with console still, no blinking button

- then controller button go out after a minute or so

- then console shortly power on a few secs and off again

- this is not expected behavior

Shutting down console from page Sleepmode setting "Full shutdown"

- both console and controller shut down immediately

- expected behavior

Now setting sleepmode=standby

--------------------------------

Shutting down console from controller X-button menu

- both console and controller shut down immediately

- expected behavior

Is there something wrong with console needing repair?

- or is this a software issue that will be fixed

- thinking if shutdown controller is sent shutdown too soon or something as console is shutting down?

Weird, huh....

Thanks.

:)

BookishFlunky90, Sep 22, 2022
  2. mouse999 Win User

Series X - controller does not shut down when console does - is it repair or software issue?

I got a update last week (not the september update) and my controller started doing this. Takes about a min to turn off now in energy saving mode so I think the update did it. Maybe a new bug maybe intended.
  3. BookishFlunky90 Win User

I thought about that for a bit, but does not make sense.

- it's on EnergySaver you shut down more, and there is the problem

- instant on would be standby and that works fine.

EnergySaver or standby would be the same, think they both check for updates. I think I read somewhere..

No mode allow for complete shutdown, but on Sleepmode setting page "full shutdown" and that works to.

I think can be fixed with software update the more I think about it.

I would like option to completely shutdown from X-button menu. That would be grand. A setting to assign which shutdown you want to X-button or similar.

I do all updates manually anyway.
  4. Onyx Is Here Win User

That sounds like it's by design. When the console is on Instant On it will take a bit to fully shut down by checking for updates, etc. During this time the controller thinks the console is still on so stays on itself until it no longer sees a signal
  5. Shaggy2000 Win User

Its the same with my regular controller, it takes a minute or two before it shuts down.
  6. BookishFlunky90 Win User

Thanks for input, interesting indeed. :)

At first discovering this I was mostly worried that it would drain batteries until empty. But waiting long enough it turned off after a minute or so. Also some strange powering up external hdd as that happended. Console X-button did not lit, so a power up of console was not quite the case, just power to usb shortly getting some noise from hdd.

It may be a timing thingy if not everybody get this. Asking my store about replacement of console they offered another controller free of charge, will see if that makes a difference.

Everything about console is powered down through power cord outlets by me anyway. But those using standby mode it seems to turn off controller perfectly.

A setting making controller shutdown a choice would be swell. Either extra alternativ on X-button menu or made in settings. Even full shutdown as in Sleep mode settings would be nice.
Thema:

1. Series X - controller does not shut down when console does - is it repair or software issue? - Similar Threads - Series controller does

2. Does the Xbox elite series 2 controller come with the paddles as stock if I’m purchasing...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does the Xbox elite series 2 controller come with the paddles as stock if I’m purchasing...: Hello, I’m looking to purchase a custom controller from design labs, and I was looking at the elite series 2 controller, and it asks if I’d like to purchase paddles for an extra £21 on top of the...
  3. why does my xbox series x controller keep disconnected

in XBoX on Consoles
    why does my xbox series x controller keep disconnected: my xbox series x controller keeps disconnecting i changed the batteries i couldnt resync the controller until i turned off the power supply but took about 2 minutes and the controller again...
  4. Why does my Xbox series x/s wireless controller disconnect when my Xbox one disconnects...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox series x/s wireless controller disconnect when my Xbox one disconnects...: When I came back home as I brought my Xbox to my friends house, it always disconnects from the WiFi and I don't know why. When it disconnected, my controller also disconnected....
  5. Why does my elite controller series two disconnect when wire isn’t plugged in

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my elite controller series two disconnect when wire isn’t plugged in: My elite series two controller keeps on disconnecting when the wire isn’t connected, I’ll be using it then suddenly I can’t move in my game or scroll on YouTube I look down and see the light...
  6. Xbox controller does not always wake Series X console

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox controller does not always wake Series X console: Usually, when I turn on my XSX controller, the light on the controller pulses for 2 seconds, after which the console also starts and both devices are connected. Lately (since the december update,...
  7. Xbox controller does not always wake Series X console

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox controller does not always wake Series X console: Usually, when I turn on my XSX controller, the light on the controller pulses for 2 seconds, after which the console also starts and both devices are connected. Lately (since the december update,...
  8. Why does my Xbox elite controller series 2 refuses to connect to my windows 11 PC?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does my Xbox elite controller series 2 refuses to connect to my windows 11 PC?: The controller connected just fine to my pc for about 6 months and then one day after restarting my pc my controller would say it is connected in settings for about 2 minutes before shutting off...
  9. The controller does not pair with the Xbox X Series

in XBoX Games and Apps
    The controller does not pair with the Xbox X Series: The controller does not pair with the Xbox X Series. I press and hold the sync button on the Xbox controller and it starts flashing, but when I press the sync button on the X Series, the light...
  10. Does the warranty cover the Xbox series controller's trigger strength difference?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does the warranty cover the Xbox series controller's trigger strength difference?: My new Xbox series controller have some problem with its trigger strength. One side of the trigger take a lot more force to push down than the other one. Is the warranty cover for this problem...