Series X arrived with broken disc drive. Why has Microsoft after sales service been so poor?

Discus and support Series X arrived with broken disc drive. Why has Microsoft after sales service been so poor? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I ordered my new xbox series x directly from Microsoft online store and was fortunate to make the preorder. The console arrived yesterday but I then... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Strontium190, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Strontium190
    Strontium190 Guest

Series X arrived with broken disc drive. Why has Microsoft after sales service been so poor?

I ordered my new xbox series x directly from Microsoft online store and was fortunate to make the preorder. The console arrived yesterday but I then found the disc drive was broken and will not allow either game discs or blu rays to be inserted. I went to
    the support page and requested a call back and was told this would take 90 minutes. Four hours later I received a call from Microsoft saying the help lines were closed and I should call back tomorrow.

Requested another call today and spoke to an advisor. He understood the issue, confirmed that the console would have to be replaced and I was given a case number. He then put me through to the sale department who would organise this for me.

Spoke to the sales department and the call taker didn't seem to have a clue what to do. She repeatedly told me to go straight back to the Xbox.com/support page (from where I had come from originally). I explained that I could not see why she could not sort
    out this issue personally. She tried to guide me through the process and had me read out to her what was on the page. Whenever she heard me saying something hopeful she had me click on it. None of it was of any assistance. I remained polite and calm throughout
    the call but eventually reached the end of my patience and asked to put through to a supervisor.

Spoke to the supervisor who then told me that as there were no consoles in stock I would have to wait for more to be manufactured and then try again to get a replacement. I explained to him that I understood it was possible there was a lack of consoles at
    the moment, but surely I shouldn't have to try my luck next time stock comes out, and hope that I get lucky. Surely my request should be put at the front of the queue and I should be sent one automatically when they are available? But apparently
    not. Even though, through no fault of my own, I have been provided a damaged machine I would have to try my luck. I relayed to him that this was not satisfactory and had him provide me with a website through which I could make a complaint, but just having
    had a look at it, it looks like an extremely complex process.

I then explained to him that I had purchased two games for the console on disc but obviously could not play them even though the rest of the system worked. I suggested that as an act of good faith I could be compensated by way of a digital download so I
    could use the console until a replacement could be sourced. He said that this could not be done. It was clear that he either was not listening or was unwilling to help and I terminated the call.

Annoyed that this should be left like this I found a customer support number and spoke to another advisor. She, in essence, told me the same thing. But eventually relented and said she would progress this complaint further. She provided me with another case
    reference number, said that she would email me and that I should then wait 24 to 72 hrs for further advice. A. She has not emailed me back B. I have no trust in her claim I will be contacted.

I want to point out that throughout these calls I have remained calm and polite. The call takers themselves have also been polite but they just appear to be either unable to provide an answer, unable to work out how to process the problem or indifferent
    to my issues. I get the impression that for obvious reasons they are working remotely and I could even hear them whispering to other people in the room asking for advice.

My issue is surely this is not how a company as large as Microsoft should be dealing with things. I would have thought the process should have gone something like this. 1) Microsoft send me a product. 2) I find the product is faulty and I go to the website
    for instructions 3) I find a direct number that can deal with complaints and faults and not the option of a frankly useless "virtual agent" 4) I speak directly to a person at Microsoft who logs the issue and accepts that a replacement will have to be arranged.
    5) Either send out a replacement or put me on a list where I am automatically sent one when the become available 6) In the meantime, as an act of good faith, I am given a digital game download or some other form of compensation.

My question are why hasn't it been dealt with in this manner and when will Microsoft give me a straight an

:)

Strontium190, Nov 11, 2020
  2. Strontium190 Win User

I have tried the virtual assistant, requesting a call back and ringing directly and still got the same answer each time.

I agree with you that the options "return order for refund" and "warranty service request" don't seem right. I don't want a repaired console, I think I am entitled to one that hasn't been opened and poked about. Whose to say the whole thing wasn't put together
    shoddily. As for the refund, I don't want one. I just want a working console.

As for you describing your issue as minor I would have to disagree. Though it isn't spouting smoke out of the top (like some I've seen on youtube) it is still indicative of something wrong and shouldn't be happening. You certainly shouldn't leave it as I'm
    sure it would only get worse if you did.

I just wish i had been lucky enough to get the same guy as you had.

Anyone from Microsoft listening to all of this? Anyone willing to give us a hand.

Keep us all updated Brian as to whether you get a replacement.
  3. BrianD101 Win User

I'm in the UK too so maybe it was just the luck of the draw? For what it's worth i went via the online chat 'virtual assistant' and at the end of the automated script selected no for 'has this answered your question'. I then got a call back about 2 hours
    later and the guy pretty much straight away told me he'd arrange an exchange.

Online options seem to be 'return order for refund' or 'warranty service request'. Neither of those seemed right and that what i said to the guy who immediately agreed and said he'd arrange a swap.

Not defending MS at all but it seems pretty much everyone has a problem with inconsistent service. Maybe you should try again because waiting and taking your chances on next stock seems so wrong!

The fault was a 'ticking' fan. Pretty minor i suppose but clearly wasn't right and i wasn't settling for a dodgy device straight out the box and i'd rather wait for a replacement.

Oh, fyi, i got charged £474 (no idea why £474) against my card which apparently won't be processed as long as the old device is returned. On my account it shows as 'warranty - advanced exchange'.
  4. Strontium190 Win User

Hi Brian,

I'm in the UK, where are you?

It's really interesting to hear you explain what you have achieved and I am really pleased that you have been able to make some progress. I think that you may have been just very fortunate to get someone who a) knew what they were doing, and b) was willing
    to go the extra mile for you. I am very jealous. Just out of interest what was the issue with your console?

I just always assumed that Microsoft were a lot more organised. But for pioneers in the computing industry their response has been very poor.

Good luck to you and I really hope you get your replacement soon.
  5. BrianD101 Win User

Interesting that we've both had very different experiences. That really is a crappy service and no wonder you are annoyed! What territory are you in?

I received a faulty Series X yesterday and although i was frustrated i couldn't seem to get much help online, when i eventually got a call back the guy i spoke to couldn't have been more helpful. Sounded like he had to wrestle with a lot of confusing systems/processes
    at his end but he arranged for an immediate exchange.

Guess we'll need to see what happens but it's apparently going to be here in 2-5 days. Maybe i'll get another email saying they are out of stock but you'd assume they would hold back some stock for exactly this kind of thing?
  6. Tezzerrific Win User

MW2 crossgen bubdle

series x has disc drive and the series s does not

smart delivery is so it downloads the content for the specific console

hence why the game case has series x and xbox one advertised on it. the disc can be used in series x and xbox one consoles, the series s does not have a drive therefore requires digital purchase.
Thema:

1. Series X arrived with broken disc drive. Why has Microsoft after sales service been so poor? - Similar Threads - Series arrived broken

2. Why is my Xbox series X crashing and completely shutting down during games such as Chivalry...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my Xbox series X crashing and completely shutting down during games such as Chivalry...: I have spent over a year now dealing with this issue of my console shutting down mid game, and I have spoken with countless call center representatives from another country that has been very...
  3. Games won’t play external SSD Xbox series s

in XBoX on Windows
    Games won’t play external SSD Xbox series s: I am trying to play games on my external SSD however they won’t run I know Xbox series x/s spec games don’t work and have to be run off the internal but the games I’m trying to play are older...
  4. Elite Series 2 input delay issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Series 2 input delay issue: I bought my Elite Series 2 about 4 months ago, it was working like a charm and I haven't noticed any issues with it and it happened to be my favourite controller. But about a week ago, all of a...
  5. Problems with right joystick on elite series 2 controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Problems with right joystick on elite series 2 controller: Pressing the right joy stick down turns the controller off and the controller will not turn back on until it is plugged in, controller does not register up or down movement on the right joystick...
  6. Xbox series s won't power on

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series s won't power on: All my light does is flash n goes off c0832ebb-b595-4858-ab40-d6cc803d6d35
  7. Xbox series X power button rapidly blinks.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X power button rapidly blinks.: So today I plugged in and turned on my xbox series x for the first time in 2 months. There was of course a system update of 5gbs. I noticed the whole time the update was happening, the power light...
  8. When sending in my custom Elite Controller Series 2 for replacement, will I receive an...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When sending in my custom Elite Controller Series 2 for replacement, will I receive an...: A little less than a year ago I purchased a custom Elite Controller Series 2 from Xbox Design Lab, complete with a custom engraving. When I contacted Xbox Support, the person on the phone ensured...
  9. Is there a bug or defect with the xbox series usb ports and wired controllers?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there a bug or defect with the xbox series usb ports and wired controllers?: My Xbox S is acting strange lately, my controller is always plugged into my xbox and today it was working and then right in the middle of the game. It just turned off so I unplugged it then...
  10. Repair Elite Series X V2, delivery tracking shows arrived Friday but has not updated on...

in XBoX on Windows
    Repair Elite Series X V2, delivery tracking shows arrived Friday but has not updated on...: Hi, my tracking for this device shows as delivered as per day here - https://www.ups.com/track?Requester=RMS&tracknum=1ZY357220491422120&loc=en_GB/trackdetails bus isn’t showing as at the centre...