Series S Fan Behavior - Slow and Steady or Ramp Up with Load?

Discus and support Series S Fan Behavior - Slow and Steady or Ramp Up with Load? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My Series S has overheated at a point while playing Skyrim SE. This is well into the game and I am unsure if it is a hardware issue or a problem with... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by DJmerkury, Feb 27, 2021.

1. DJmerkury
    DJmerkury Guest

My Series S has overheated at a point while playing Skyrim SE. This is well into the game and I am unsure if it is a hardware issue or a problem with the game. My first thought is that the fan is not working properly, so I am asking for some clarification about how the fan should operate in the Series S.

Does the fan rotate slowly all of the time at a constant speed? Or should it speed up under load while playing a game?

My fan never ramps up, it just spins slowly all the time, whether in menu or in game.

Thanks for any comments. Microsoft's support is an absolute joke when it comes to questions like this. I hope someone here can clarify for me before I blindly send my console back and hope for a proper fix.

:)

DJmerkury, Feb 27, 2021
  2. ShamelessSteven Win User

XBox One S has defective fan controller?

My One S does about the same. The fan just decides to ramp up to 100% without the unit being warm. I'm on here now because I've coped with it since I can get it to go months without ramping up but now I am out of warranty. I decided to move it to my
    living room recently where I like to open my windows for cool air. And as soon as I do so the fan ramps up to 100%. Every time it gets hit by cool air it must think it's over heating. Annoying thing is, once the fan kicks it into over drive, the fan won't
    slow down on its own most of the time and will spin at 100% even after I turn the unit off or even hours later if I let it. Hopefully I can find some answers somewhere on here before I tear the thing apart.
  3. - AJ - Win User

Fan ramps up then shuts off

Hi, Devrie! thank you for reaching out.
    I'm AJ, an Independent Advisor for the Xbox Community.
    I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your console.

If you don't mind, I'd appreciate it if your could answer the following questions:

- May I ask which Xbox model you are using?
    - Are there any devices plugged into your console's USB ports?
    - Is your console plugged directly into one of the wall's outlets? in some cases, power strips and extension cords can cause power-related issues.

Thank you! I'll be looking forward to your reply.
    Best regards.
  4. SigmaTheDJ Win User

Xbox One X Fan makes loud reving sound when playing certain games at 4K

Mine does it too. I posted about it in the preview program section and an MS dev said that it was normal. I also spoke to another dev via PM on Reddit and he also said that it was normal.

It seems like the fan profile is designed to keep the One X's fan spinning as slow as possible as often as possible, so rather than it slowly ramping up as the load does, you get these occasional spikes instead.

There will likely be some variance in terms of the silicon lottery and the way the thermal paste has been applied, plus there will be a lot of people whose console's fan does actually ramp up, but because of the distance they sit from the TV, their sensitivity
    to hearing fan noise, and how loud they have the game volume turned up, they don't notice it.

MS do track telemetry, which includes the way the fans spin up, so there is a possibility that they'll change the fan profile in a future system update, but given that I've had 2 MS devs tell me that it's normal, I'm not going to risk doing an exchange.
    Chances are that a replacement console would do the exact same thing, but I might even end up with one that's worse, or that is actually faulty.
  5. matthewiag Win User

Is anybody else having issues with Fallout 76 crashing, due to console overheating?

Hello,

I only hear the fans ramp up 2 times when I had to load up a HoloTapes in to a Terminal it was extremely laggy so I put non Quest Tapes in the stash.

But all in all it seems to have been fine.

I believe there is an update today so it might help with some bugs :)
  6. Jasperrdm Win User

Cheaters - why aren't they being banned?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhz9eTcL1h0&feature=player_embedded

this explains how banning works. To sum up. It is slow but steady.
Thema:

1. Series S Fan Behavior - Slow and Steady or Ramp Up with Load? - Similar Threads - Series Fan Behavior

2. Xbox series x loud fan when turning on

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x loud fan when turning on: I bought my Xbox series x a month or two ago and have only had this happen twice. When turning on my Xbox after it being off for a while I hear the fan ramp up and then slow back down to the...
  3. Xbox series s Loud fan noise

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox series s Loud fan noise: lately my xbox have been really really loud whenever i play rainbow it gets insanely loud and it gets hot especially the black part of the xbox whenever i play easy or light weight games its not...
  4. Xbox series x fan stops spinning when Xbox series x is put to sleep or shutdown mode

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x fan stops spinning when Xbox series x is put to sleep or shutdown mode: My Xbox series x when I put it in sleep mode or shutdown mode the fan spins for a while and then stops is this normal 081e39ab-0e46-43e1-b854-f1b5840cf204
  5. Xbox Series X fan on while Xbox series x is in shutdown mode and it updates or loads a game??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X fan on while Xbox series x is in shutdown mode and it updates or loads a game??: I have an Xbox Series X and I noticed when I put it in Shutdown Mode to load games in the background or updates, the fan spins, but slower, then after the download or updates finishes, the fan...
  6. when i turn on my ups in xbox series x the fans starts moving for some seconds but my xbox...

in XBoX on Windows
    when i turn on my ups in xbox series x the fans starts moving for some seconds but my xbox...: when i turn on my ups in xbox series x the fans starts moving for few seconds but my xbox power is still off? 7e37215c-275b-493b-8610-7066d7a7bb0b
  7. Xbox series x fan stopped spinning.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x fan stopped spinning.: I've done everything on here to fix it and the only thing that might work is taking it apart to help clear the dust from the fan. Is there anyway to send the Box back even after warranty. This...
  8. Is it normal for series x fan to stutter when turning on console?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is it normal for series x fan to stutter when turning on console?: Hey I have recently gotten a new series x console and have really been enjoying my time with it, but I notice when I turn on the console my fan will stutter for a second before going to a stable...
  9. Xbox series s fan question

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox series s fan question: Hi, I have an Xbox series s. I can hear a small clicking noise coming from the fan, but I only hear it when I get close. Here a YouTube clip of the sound....
  10. The fan on my xbox series x used to make a noise but now it doesn’t.

in XBoX on Windows
    The fan on my xbox series x used to make a noise but now it doesn’t.: The fan on my xbox series x used to make a noise when I'm playing a game, but a month ago I opened the back of the console and I unscrewed the fan to get it out so I could clean it, there was...