Samsung TV on/off acting as a toggle

Discus and support Samsung TV on/off acting as a toggle in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I'm in the UK so let me say right up front that the connection of Live TV to Xbox lasted the ten minutes it took to determine I wasn't going to get a... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Dave Doohan, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Dave Doohan
    Dave Doohan Guest

I'm in the UK so let me say right up front that the connection of Live TV to Xbox lasted the ten minutes it took to determine I wasn't going to get a picture from Sky when the Xbox was off - the rest of the family won't turn on the game console to watch
    Sky! HDMI Passthrough? Not Passive it isn't Having disconnected Live TV the Xbox seemed to forget about the turn on my TV function. I went back and did the whole discover my TV bit and voia, mute works, we can control your TV. Great, now after saying Xbox
    On 6 times with various amounts of pause and emphasis between Xbox and On my TV turns itself on at the same time (but does not switch to the HDMI channel the console is connected to). What's more it turns off when the Xbox does. All was great for a while but
    then, after we had been watching a movie I decided to play DR3 and so, Xbox On.......yes, the Xbox turned on....the TV turned OFF! What? I thought the commands were power on and standby, not a simple power toggle? Does this happen to anyone else or is it down
    to my Samsung TV implementation of CEC?

:)

Dave Doohan, Jan 2, 2014
  2. CGilb
    CGilb Guest
    Issue with Xbox One X - TV problem?

I have something very similar where if I “Restart Console” on the X, I lose the video signal and I have to turn off and back on the TV. I’m on a 2012 Samsung TV with a newer Denon receiver acting as the middle-man

CGilb, Jan 2, 2014
  3. blkzorro77
    blkzorro77 Guest
    Xbox stopped turning on TV and Directv box

Out of the blue my xbox stopped turning my tv on and off, it also won't control my tv at all as far as volume goes. I tried completly turning off the xbox and this worked temporarly, but it has started acting up again. Any suggestions? FYI I have a Samsung
    UN50F6300.

blkzorro77, Jan 2, 2014
  4. Samsung TV on/off acting as a toggle

Hi there when you say your tv turned off when you used xbox on command was your tv on prior to saying xbox on?

SilentGamer895, Jan 2, 2014
  5. BusGod
    BusGod Guest
    Its just a power toggle. If you use xbox 1 to contol tv leave it on.

BusGod, Jan 2, 2014
  6. Xenokai
    Xenokai Guest
    If the TV is on when the xbox sends its power signal its no diffrent then pressing power on your tv remote, which will turn it off. Theres no way for it to know if the tv is on or off already and that can not be fixed. What some people dont realize
    is the xbox is just acting as a simple RF remote. its not passing any kind of on/off signal threw hdmi or anything, its a simple rf command from the kinect. If you check the option you can make it so the xbox doesnt do the on/off command and you can still
    use it to control volume.

Xenokai, Jan 2, 2014
  7. Dave Doohan
    Dave Doohan Guest
    Firstly, thanks for the answer. So, yes the TV was on when I said Xbox On as I'd been watching a recording on my STB at the time and no, I'm not leaving the Xbox on all the time just to avoid this like I don't leave Sky on all the time. What you are telling
    me is that it uses an rf remote command and not the HDMI CEC command? That seems a shame when the HDMI command set can do all of this.....makes some sense though as today Xbox On did not turn on the TV but Xbox Turn Off did turn it off....l

I will simply turn off yet another seemingly handy feature and this so called media hub will be back to being a games console pretty darn soon.

I can't help but feel like it's currently the USbox One, esp. When you read about the 50Hz issues, no One Guide and the lack of TV Apps like BBC iplayer and Sky (I use the sky app on 360 loads when the wife has the actual sky box in her grip).

Dave Doohan, Jan 2, 2014
  8. BusGod
    BusGod Guest

Correct its an ir command. The xbox is designed to be on continuously. Should you not want to do that, I would go to the settings and uncheck the xbox to turn on/off your devices.

BusGod, Jan 2, 2014
  9. BusGod
    BusGod Guest
    I should add, maybe they will add HDMI control via a software update. I'm not sure if that is possible however, it would be great. Remember this is version 1.0... Samsung TV  on/off acting as a toggle :D

BusGod, Jan 2, 2014
  10. KyleJN
    KyleJN Guest
    I find this incredibly annoying as well--I wish they would add more control over the exact command to be used for power on/off of tv and audio receiver instead of these power toggles. I want it to use my input source select for the receiver and power on
    for tv when it comes on, and power off for both the receiver and tv when it powers off. The toggle is prone to errors when things aren't in a specific state before someone says "xbox on" or "xbox turn off". I also wish if I manually press the power button
    on the box if it would just shut that off instead of turning back on my tv/receiver.

KyleJN, Jan 3, 2014
  11. Dave Doohan
    Dave Doohan Guest
    They should really have designed the new console to use HDMI-CEC - and to have passive HDMI built in with it going active when in use via the box. You are supposed to build on the knowledge of the past not start again....it just feels like the Xbox team
    were replaced by a subset of the Windows team who built a media console that does a bad job of media with games on the side..

Dave Doohan, Oct 31, 2018
  12. BusGod Win User

I should add, maybe they will add HDMI control via a software update. I'm not sure if that is possible however, it would be great. Remember this is version 1.0... :D
  13. BusGod Win User

Its just a power toggle. If you use xbox 1 to contol tv leave it on.
  14. KyleJN Win User

I find this incredibly annoying as well--I wish they would add more control over the exact command to be used for power on/off of tv and audio receiver instead of these power toggles. I want it to use my input source select for the receiver and power on
    for tv when it comes on, and power off for both the receiver and tv when it powers off. The toggle is prone to errors when things aren't in a specific state before someone says "xbox on" or "xbox turn off". I also wish if I manually press the power button
    on the box if it would just shut that off instead of turning back on my tv/receiver.
  15. BusGod Win User

Correct its an ir command. The xbox is designed to be on continuously. Should you not want to do that, I would go to the settings and uncheck the xbox to turn on/off your devices.
  16. Xenokai Win User

If the TV is on when the xbox sends its power signal its no diffrent then pressing power on your tv remote, which will turn it off. Theres no way for it to know if the tv is on or off already and that can not be fixed. What some people dont realize
    is the xbox is just acting as a simple RF remote. its not passing any kind of on/off signal threw hdmi or anything, its a simple rf command from the kinect. If you check the option you can make it so the xbox doesnt do the on/off command and you can still
    use it to control volume.
Thema:

1. Samsung TV on/off acting as a toggle - Similar Threads - Samsung off acting

2. Game mode turns off every 5 minutes on Samsung TV. Has anyone had this issue?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Game mode turns off every 5 minutes on Samsung TV. Has anyone had this issue?: Game mode turns off every 5 minutes on Samsung TV. Has anyone had this issue? ae858663-6613-42e8-b668-1a78ae9b0c14
  3. when i plug my xbox one s to my tv samsung smart he turn off why

in XBoX on Consoles
    when i plug my xbox one s to my tv samsung smart he turn off why: when i plug my xbox one s to my tv samsung smart he turn off why 4418616f-62f4-4cfa-93fc-d82112f42b6b
  4. Samsung odyssey + controller tracking ring fell off

in XBoX on Consoles
    Samsung odyssey + controller tracking ring fell off: the tracking ring fell off of my Samsung odyssey+ controller and I just wanted to know if there's any way I can fix this? if not where can I buy a replacement? 7d285c62-3814-4243-bb3c-db84269b6a4a
  5. HDMI CEC not turning off Samsung Q80T

in XboX Insiders
    HDMI CEC not turning off Samsung Q80T: TV: Samsung Q80T HDMI CEC: enabled with all options checked CEC is able to turn the TV on, but is having issues turning it on since a few updates ago. While I noticed it was in the known issues...
  6. Why does my Samsung universal remote turn off my Xbox?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Samsung universal remote turn off my Xbox?: I have multiple TVs in my basement, and when I turn on my Samsung TVs it turns off my Xbox, and I don’t know how I’d fix it, because my Xbox is plugged into a monitor not the Samsung tv....
  7. resolution of Game Pass Cloud off on Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G

in XBoX on Mobile
    resolution of Game Pass Cloud off on Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G: I played a lot of Gears 5 on XCloud on my Note 9, but then got a Note 20 Ultra 5g and hadn't tested the new Game Pass offering until today. The resolution of the game is off and I can't figure out...
  8. My samsung tv picture clarity settings turns off with Xbox series x plugged in. Fix?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My samsung tv picture clarity settings turns off with Xbox series x plugged in. Fix?: I am Using the samsung Q7OT, just got my Xbox Series X and when its plugged in my picture clarity settings turn off, this turns off judder reduction and motion reduction, I used it fine on xbox...
  9. 4k issues with my Samsung TV and now when I load up disc its kicks me off and tells me to...

in XBoX on Consoles
    4k issues with my Samsung TV and now when I load up disc its kicks me off and tells me to...: Hi I am having a problem with 4k it was working up till yesterday and now its saying my tv is not 4k but it is and now a new problem started my tv is on 1080p and everytime I go to load up a disc...
  10. Samsung HG40EA790MS: Allow 50hz/24hz on or off?

in XBoX TV Hardware
    Samsung HG40EA790MS: Allow 50hz/24hz on or off?: Samsung (Televisions) HG40EA790MS: Allow 50hz/24hz on or off? Hi, The days of U.S NTSC 60Hhz European and PAL 60 are long behind when it comes to gaming on the the Xbox One console. All games on...