Ridiculous installation and download sizes

Discus and support Ridiculous installation and download sizes in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have just received an Xbox One X and so far my experience with it has been disappointing (understatement). I loaded the first game disc and I was... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Vince_AUK, Oct 20, 2022.

1. Vince_AUK
    Vince_AUK Guest

I have just received an Xbox One X and so far my experience with it has been disappointing (understatement).

I loaded the first game disc and I was disappointed that it wanted to install it to the HDD, being an Xbox 360 user, I just wasn't expecting this. I then got a message that the game needed an update. If the 40GB installation wasn't bad enough, it then wanted to DOWNLOAD a 45GB update (DOWNLOAD via the internet, bigger than the original disc install, WOW!!!!!). I though this was a one of and they're not all going to be like that. Not only was the second game as bad, the third game disc I loaded was the worst, wanting to install 40gb and then it wanted to download and install over 65GB which it estimated would only take 4 hours. I find this unbelievable. You want to load your disc and go, not load your disc and wait 5-6 hours to play it. I really don't know how the Xbox One has become such a popular console, because I think its a backwards step. The installation size is understandable, but the updates are bigger than the installation. I've had this console for less than a day and am already fedup with it. I would be interested in any other views on this, online auction, here I come????

:)

Vince_AUK, Oct 20, 2022
  2. Tezzerrific Win User

all new consoles and even pc is the same now, running games from the blue ray discs does not work now as they read too slow, been like this since 2013 when the xbox one first launched and also the ps4.

this is the future and games are huge, some games can be over 140GB in size.

PlayStation is the exact same too.

Discs are just really a collector thing these days as most sales are now digital, I haven't bought a disc for years.
  3. Vince_AUK Win User

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that installation is going to be large but having to download a 65GB update is just ridiculous. That is over 20GB larger than the installation itself. There is got to be something wrong there. I think I saw someone mention that the update is the whole game, which would make sense, but WHY!!!! would you have to download the whole game again. Surely if the Xbox 360 could download small updates, why does this new bit of kit have to download the complete game. Not only that, just under 780GB of internal space on the console isnt going to leave alot to play games, without having to deinstall others. And if you want to play that unistalled game again, you then have to go through the same rig-moral. As good as the graphics might be on the Xbox One, I don't think my time with the XB1 will last. But thanks again for your input.
  4. Tezzerrific Win User

you can add a huge external ub3 drive to store and run games on the one x too (but becomes an issue on the series consoles due to drive limitations). games these days are more like services, they come with a huge first day patch, some game require complete redownload as to many files change that could break an existing installed game.

The xbox 360 was designed to run games off DVD discs and they only allowed smaller updates back then, but due to bigger games and more demanding games space requirements have gone up.

if you don't like it on xbox one and choose another console you will have exactly the same issue, huge updates and mandatory installs, the only system that does not have huge updates (but the games can still be quite large) is the Nintendo switch.
  5. fians4k_xbox Win User

Free Up Space Error For Modern Warfare

Keep in mind that download size and install size sometimes are not the same. Some games have a weight of X Gb for the download but it is uncompressed during install and ends up using X+20% Gb. Maybe that's the thing, you have space for the download but
    not for the installation itself.
  6. Shaggy2000 Win User

Why Is "Watchdogs" Such A Small Game?

@Azrael0008uk

Could it be that the 20GB is the download size, but once the files are downloaded, unzipped and installed, the total size is actually more like 40GB as mentioned above?
Thema:

1. Ridiculous installation and download sizes - Similar Threads - Ridiculous installation download

2. Unable to install Minecraft Launcher

in XBoX on Windows
    Unable to install Minecraft Launcher: I tried to install the new 1.20.5 version of Minecraft and it kept crashing, so I uninstalled the launcher and now trying to re-install it won't work. I've: 1. Restarted my PC several times 2....
  3. Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...: I am paying for Game Pass, but can't install large games because the 18TB Seagate Exos x18 7200RPM HDD is for some reason disliked by Microsoft, Xbox, or Game Pass. I purchased such a huge drive...
  4. X box cloud or install wont load Conan exiles for 2 days….any help or input greatly appreciated

in XBoX on Consoles
    X box cloud or install wont load Conan exiles for 2 days….any help or input greatly appreciated: Conan exiles wont work via game pass install or via cloud gaming. When on the cloud it will load and go to olay then says player disconnected. The cloud wont let me play conan for over 2 days now....
  5. I want my account unbanned this is ridiculous the kid started messaging me first

in XBoX Accessibility
    I want my account unbanned this is ridiculous the kid started messaging me first: I want my account unbanned the kid started it with me 7a133edc-1f98-4b9a-8e98-847d2f26205b
  6. Why does Xbox game pass cloud gaming have such long wait times? This is getting ridiculous...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does Xbox game pass cloud gaming have such long wait times? This is getting ridiculous...: Tired of 15 to 20 minute wait times only a game on game pass. a98124cc-957e-4fc7-967e-0c1223cf79b5
  7. Why is it so difficult to change my xbox email this is absolutely ridiculous I hate Microsoft

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why is it so difficult to change my xbox email this is absolutely ridiculous I hate Microsoft: Why does Microsoft make it so difficult to change email on Xbox account this is b.s 6fe5723d-8540-4aba-8603-3127ecc74124
  8. Unless I’ve missed something, there’s NO magazine for Xbox gamers. Isn’t that ridiculous?

in XboX Insiders
    Unless I’ve missed something, there’s NO magazine for Xbox gamers. Isn’t that ridiculous?: Title. submitted by /u/hideous-kojima23 [link] [comments]
  9. Gaming Services "missing" and the ridiculous typical "wont let you install on C Drive" rubbish?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gaming Services "missing" and the ridiculous typical "wont let you install on C Drive" rubbish?: Has this been fixed? Genuinely tried 6 or 7 "fixes" now and absolutely nothing works. Yet the continue to charge me $15 a month and the app simply doesn't work. It's ridiculous. Anybody know of a...
  10. Why was 70 dollars taken from my bank I didn't purchase anything this is ridiculous

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why was 70 dollars taken from my bank I didn't purchase anything this is ridiculous: Some stupid ms.info took 70 dollars and I want my money back now this is horrible 0428f2de-1c6d-4d44-ad72-9b97032673c5