Regression - Xbox Remote Play constantly dropping connection to Xbox Series X on local network

Discus and support Regression - Xbox Remote Play constantly dropping connection to Xbox Series X on local network in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hi. For the past two weeks-ish I've been suffering from the Xbox App on my Win10 desktop no longer having a good experience with remote play on my Xbox... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by E. Richards, Jan 28, 2023.

1. E. Richards
    E. Richards Guest

Regression - Xbox Remote Play constantly dropping connection to Xbox Series X on local network

Hi. For the past two weeks-ish I've been suffering from the Xbox App on my Win10 desktop no longer having a good experience with remote play on my Xbox Series X.

Repro:

• Local hardwired ethernet network
    • Start the Xbox App on PC
    • Select the Xbox Series X console from the console dropdown.
    • Connect - all's good.
    • A few minutes or less goes by: disconnect, followed by a reconnect.
    • If left running in remote play, this disconnect / reconnect can go on for hours.

I used to be able to play for hours uninterrupted using remote play.

I have submitted a feedback report ("xbox app keeps dropping remote play network connection") that has several recorded sessions and a gaming session log zip file. Looking at the log (c:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.GamingApp_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState ) I see something like this happening:

There are other (ERR) moments in the log file. It appears that the KeepAliveFilter kicks off closing the connection. Logs are flushed after this.

I haven't done anything to mess up my connections or goof around with anything that would obviously affect this setup. I saw this regression after an update to the Xbox App.

I think it's a regression - unless anyone else has run into this same problem and has a solution that worked for them?

:)

E. Richards, Jan 28, 2023
  2. IainRossi Win User

Slow Download Speeds

Did you manage to fix the connectivity issue? My Series X constantly drops connection to xbox live/internet despite an ethernet cable being used.
  3. Padd007 Win User

Microsoft display adapter problems

NAT type is open and again this is going over my local network, it is not cloud gaming or remote play. Unfortunately I do not have another internet connection to try. I should mention that I am a Cisco engineer and I have examined my LAN and done speed tests from my PC to router, Xbox one X does not have anything that will allow my to test the local network connection from Xbox to router.
  4. Rodrigo Oliver Win User

Why is remote play stuttering and not accepting controller input on new games like THE FINALS

Hi Psych99, my name is Rodrigo. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that.

I think this is due to input lag from the remote play.

You can try these steps:

Make sure your Xbox Series X is connected directly to your router or modem via Ethernet cable. This will ensure the best possible connection.

Check your network settings on your Xbox Series X. Go to Settings > General > Network settings and make sure your NAT type is set to Open. You can also try running the network troubleshooter to see if there are any issues.

Try adjusting the video quality settings on your Xbox Series X. Go to Settings > Devices & streaming > Remote features > Remote play settings and try lowering the video quality to see if that helps with the input lag.

Let me know if it works!
  5. KhajiBower34 Win User

Why is the remote play so blocky and laggy?

Hello Krustykashew, My name is Khaji I am an independent advisor and I will be happy to help you today.

Remote play, which allows you to play your Xbox from another device, often depends on several factors, including the quality of the internet connection, network speed, connection stability, and the distance between the Xbox and the device you use to play remotely.

Although remote play has improved in recent generations of consoles, there can still be issues related to connection quality. Here are some possible reasons why you might be experiencing issues with Remote Play on your Xbox Series S:

Unstable or slow internet connection: Despite having a 5 GHz connection, stability and speed can fluctuate due to wireless interference, physical obstacles, or router problems.

Network settings on Xbox: Adjustments to your Xbox's network settings may improve the quality of remote play. Make sure your console is set up for a stable and fast connection.

App or software issues: Issues with the remote play app or the console itself can impact the quality of the remote experience. Make sure they are updated to the latest version available.

Latency issues: Latency is the amount of time it takes for information to be transmitted from the console to the remote device. If there is too much latency, you could experience response and audio delays.

Local network issues: Sometimes other devices on your local network can consume bandwidth, causing interference when connecting to the Xbox.

Thank you very much for your patience and understanding! If you need anything else, do not hesitate to contact us again.
  6. AFJ617 Win User

Xbox Remote Play locked to 720p resolution with poor bitrate?

This has less to do with the streaming capabilities of the Series X and more to do with the fact that even when using remote play locally the Xbox is routing traffic through the Azure datacenters which makes absolutely no sense.

If you don't believe me go use remote play on an Xbox One X and it does not have this issue when using remote play locally.

All my consoles are LAN and my PS5 has no issues outputting a 1080/60fps stream locally.

It is a glaring issue that has been raised across a number of different forums online and it makes no sense.

Has less to do with folks internet setups and more to do with bad decision making from MS
Thema:

1. Regression - Xbox Remote Play constantly dropping connection to Xbox Series X on local network - Similar Threads - Regression Remote Play

2. Cannot remote access Xbox One from my PC

in XBoX on Windows
    Cannot remote access Xbox One from my PC: I'm in Dev Mode on the Xbox One and I'm trying to do Remote Access but every time I punch in the address I get this message UNITIALIZED Credentials have not been set up. Enter a username and...
  3. Xbox One S Remote Play Microsoft Rewards

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S Remote Play Microsoft Rewards: Can I set up remote play on the Xbox One S so I can check the Microsoft Rewards app from my phone or laptop? f74e807f-bd08-404f-a6a0-e649d94e5728
  4. Touch screen controls on remote play work on the dashboard, but not in-game

in XboX Insiders
    Touch screen controls on remote play work on the dashboard, but not in-game: Hi all, Don't know if this is happening to anyone else or not, but touch controls don't seem to work when I'm streaming games from my console. The Xbox button works, the overlay works and I can...
  5. Cant use remote from my xbox app on phone

in XboX Insiders
    Cant use remote from my xbox app on phone: I cant connect my remote play everything is enabled and im signed in on the app and console but the app just shows my pfp and says “turn on your console and sign in with your account” but it is on...
  6. Mobile Touch Controls(remote play)

in XboX Insiders
    Mobile Touch Controls(remote play): Hey Team Xbox; just wanted to divulge this little minor detail, I have the iPhone14proMax and the “dynamic island” cuts off most of the left trigger touch control button/input. I am still able to...
  7. Xbox App on MacOS for Remote Play

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox App on MacOS for Remote Play: Hey! I just purchased an Xbox series S and it every penny on it feels worth it and even better than PS in terms of power and price. However, it’s really off putting that there’s no Xbox app for...
  8. Samsung tv not allowing me to access Xbox Home Screen with Xbox remote

in XBoX on Windows
    Samsung tv not allowing me to access Xbox Home Screen with Xbox remote: I have a Samsung 75” crystal UHD tv. I hooked my Xbox one to the hdmi port 1 and can see that the tv detects the Xbox. When I try to access the Xbox, instead of going to the hdmi1 source, it goes...
  9. The Xbox app now supports touch input to control your Xbox remotely

in XboX Insiders
    The Xbox app now supports touch input to control your Xbox remotely: Would add photos but can’t lol. It seems you can play any game from your libary with touch inputs, BUT you still need a controller for most streaming games. Strange. submitted by...
  10. Headphones disconnect when going to remote play.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Headphones disconnect when going to remote play.: When using Xbox one and Xbox companion app on IPhone. I join a party in the app and can talk through my headphones. As soon as I remote play a game on the app, my headphones disconnect from my...