Regarding the damage of excessive security measures on user experience.

Discus and support Regarding the damage of excessive security measures on user experience. in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; Dear Microsoft, Hi. TL;DR I tried to connect to my Minecraft account. Not TL;DR: I tried to connect to my old Minecraft account, the password... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Raveh Shulman, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Regarding the damage of excessive security measures on user experience.

Dear Microsoft,
    Hi.

TL;DR

I tried to connect to my Minecraft account.

Not TL;DR:

I tried to connect to my old Minecraft account, the password isn't recognized.
    No problem- I try to recover the password.
    No mail received.
    I contact my little brother, to whom I've given my account some years ago. He tells me he changed the password.
    (Up to this point - not Microsoft's fault at all).
    Cool - no problem, I try again with the new password.
    Failed.
    At this point my lil' brother tells me that now I can use a Microsoft account to connect to Minecraft, and he gave me the account details.
    I try to connect with them.

Now, for some reason, Minecraft - a child's game - apparently requires extreme security. The password isn't enough - I also need to enter my brother's Microsoft PIN.
    I ask him for the PIN - and it's wrong.
    (For context - I'm at my apartment, my brother is at our parents' house lying in bed, and it's 2 AM).
    So we want to change the PIN, but apparently - you have to be connected LOCALLY to the 'home computer' to change the PIN.
    Since my brother is in bed, instead of sending him to the PC, I try to handle it myself by adding his Microsoft account to my computer.
    The account was added, however I still didn't have control over the PIN.

At this point I give up on connecting with Microsoft account and go back to try and connect with my Mojang account.
    I go back to my last mail from Mojang, and there I see - in the small letters - that the account was completely Migrated. No more Mojang account at all.

Now let me ask you seriously - does it seem to you in any way sensible, that the only way to connect to a video game - not a Mail account, a business-related product or whatsoever - a kid's video game, requires a connection to a Microsoft account??

But the fun doesn't stop here. Oh no.

Ironically, somehow while adding my brother's account - you guys finally won. My local user was finally, somehow, connected to my Microsoft account.

After removing my brother's Microsoft account from the computer, I tried to remove my own. As you probably know - you must be connected to one Microsoft account on the PC in order to remove another.

I searched the internet for a very simple demand - how to remove a Microsoft account from a computer? I haven't found any simple, 3-step answer. From what I've gathered, one must go deep into the system configuration files. For some reason, a simple 'opt-out' isn't an option you want to give your paying costumers.

Which leads me to another question: Why does it bother you so much that people want to simply use their laptop without being connected to a Microsoft account???? Seriously - they pay you, they bought your OS and probably your office and your product - why do you basically force them to 'marry' you?

It seems to me that Microsoft has a very severe case of "trying to protect people from themselves". Too often, it feels as though I get locked outside my own house - even though I have the keys and everything, just because I don't have the ultra-mega-key, or because I once gave my brother the keys to the house and now I need his bloody fingerprint any time I want to get into my own house.
    Why does it feel as though I'm breaking into my account any time I want to log in? Why do I need to feel as though I'm trying to do something wrong in this situation???
    The best way to turn costumers into your enemies is to treat them as such. I've got to tell you - you're on the right track.

Look, I really like your products. Truly.
    Windows is a great OS, and I think that Excel and PowerPoint are absolutely fantastic. But going back to the house metaphor - it doesn't matter how fancy a house is. If you constantly get locked out of it, an annoying upgrade alarm goes off every 3 days, and for some reason even the refrigerator requires a key, then I guarantee you: No matter how luxurious this house is, you'd eventually move out because you couldn't bear the frustration anymore.

And guess what? I moved out. This was the straw that broke the camel's back - I've deleted my Microsoft account (I'm currently writing from my university's account), and I seriously consider switching to Linux.

My request, or perhaps - my advice to you - is simple. Stop assuming you know what's best for your costumers. Let them choose for themselves. Let them determine how secured they want their accounts.
    If they want to use the Microsoft account + password + pin for their Minecraft account, like you currently require - no problem. But give us a choice to use something else, perhaps more minimal.
    And if our account gets hacked as a result - It's our problem. Your costumers are adults who can hold responsibility for their actions. All I ask of you is to treat us as such.

By the way, excessive security can easily be bad security! If I'm constantly getting locked out of my house because it's "too secure", then I'm probably going to make sure there are ways for me to 'break in' - and actual burglars will be able to utilize these ways as well.

Also, it seems that Google managed to solve the security problem - without inciting the urge to ram one's head into a wall. I highly advice you to take notes from them.

Conclusion

I'd really appreciate it if you could address all the points I marked with bold. A few requests regarding your answer:

1. I know that the easiest thing for you is to address only my Minecraft situation and offer a solution. DON'T. In fact, I don't want the word 'Minecraft' to so much as appear in your request. It was only an example to a much, much deeper problem - and you know it.
    2. Please, write as a person - not as a bot. Show some sympathy. I've seen an answer you've written to another (very) frustrated costumer starting with the words
      "Welcome to the community for sharing and discussing.

Please understand that Microsoft, as one of the largest Internet companies in the world, has developed many great products with customer centricity..."
      This not only feels like a bot and has a vibe of "There is no war in Ba-Sing-Se" (Avatar Aang reference) but also smells strongly like an "I'm sorry that you feel this way" apology - which isn't really an apology at all, and passes the blame onto the victim. Whatever happened to "the costumer is always right"?
    3. Continuing my last point - Take responsibility. Look, nobody's perfect, everybody makes mistakes. You are one of the biggest companies in the world - So act accordingly. Own up to your mistakes. Admit that there are things that can be improved, and maybe - only maybe - also act to improve them.
    And that's it for now. Please, answer and pass this message on to your higher-ups or whomever can do something about the situation:
    Microsoft can be - it is - a great house, and it was once my home. All the ingredients are there. Just remove the annoying parts - or at least make them optional - and that's it. That's all we're asking.

Please, please, Make Microsoft Great Again.

Best regards,
    Raveh

:)

Raveh Shulman, Jan 28, 2023
  2. Mister Gwyther Win User

Security measures

Hey there Lucky! I'm sorry you have issue with the new security model we're using. I can assure you that the intention of this program is simply to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to secure their account in the best possible way. For example,
    if something were ever to happen to your secondary email account (stolen, compromised, site shut down, etc.), we'd then have a second method of contact on file for you to use.

I appreciate your feedback here though. If you'd like to log it more officially, please feel free to post it again in the Feedback Forums (forums.xbox.com/.../default.aspx).
    Thanks again for your post!
  3. xbox360italy Win User

Security measures

Hello

Security proofs are means of verifying your account ownership. We can help you resolve issues with your account more quickly if we have a contact phone number and an email address to which we can send a code to verify that you are the actual owner of the
    account.

• These proofs are used to control access to your account or activities on Xbox.com, your Xbox 360 console, Xbox LIVE, Windows, and other places where your Microsoft account is used.
    • This keeps your account safer and helps you reset your password.
    • If you ever forget your password or someone tries to access your account, we need a way to reach you to reestablish appropriate control of your account—so it's a good idea to keep this info up to date. We will only use this information to protect your account.
  4. LuckyEMS Win User

Security measures

Hello, this is not an answer to my question.

I understand you are an Xbox ambassador and you have obviously have no idea on the point of this question, but thank you for your input and time.

I do not wish to be triple security checked. Microsoft has my XBL associated e-mail and a secondary e-mail, why should i be colluded into giving more personal information?

The first time it popped up when i pressed cancel, it signed me out. When I attempted to sign-in again it popped up again! Following this I declined and it signed me out again. The third time it let me log into Xbox Live with no issues.

Microsoft doing it in this way, does not entrust confidence. They are just data mining for whatever purpose they believe my phone number will help them. They are preying on those who do not know any better (who will input right away) and those who think
    it's impassable (got you on the second time). Those who refuse for a second time get to go on their merry way.
  5. ohtar(2) Win User

Impossible security measures!

Athough that may have helped while we were trying to validate, my email and phone number have already been validated, my boyfriends email and phone number are being rejected, and neither can be entered again. From what I understand, his account is totally
    unusable unless we get a third phone number or make another email address, as It won't accept what we already registered as good enough.
  6. xbox360italy Win User

all the security measures

Hello

Why add proofs to your security info?

Security proofs are means of verifying your account ownership. We can help you resolve issues with your account more quickly if we have a contact phone number and an email address to which we can send a code to verify that you are the actual owner of the
    account.

These proofs are used to control access to your account or activities on Xbox.com, your Xbox 360 console, Xbox LIVE, Windows, and other places where your Microsoft account is used.

This keeps your account safer and helps you reset your password.

If you ever forget your password or someone tries to access your account, we need a way to reach you to reestablish appropriate control of your account—so it's a good idea to keep this info up to date. We will only use this information to protect your account.

support.xbox.com/.../security-proofs
Thema:

Regarding the damage of excessive security measures on user experience.

1. Regarding the damage of excessive security measures on user experience. - Similar Threads - Regarding damage excessive

2. Has anyone read anything regarding the wishlist bug?

in XboX Insiders
    Has anyone read anything regarding the wishlist bug?: I've been shrugged off by Microsoft support too many time about this so I'm hoping someone here might have some information regarding it. submitted by /u/Grojniar [link] [comments]
  3. Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?: Here's an example of one that's locked that I chimed in on. Over 16,000 people viewed and you STILL haven't acknowledged or resolved the issue. Which is ****....
  4. Who can i contact in regards about an idea for a new type of console

in XBoX on Windows
    Who can i contact in regards about an idea for a new type of console: I have an idea for a new type of console and was wondering who i can contact to find out if it whould be considered as an option for portable gaming 6467c938-b863-49dc-a7ad-4683a9a334e4
  5. Who can I get in contact with that can give even the slightest bit of help in regards to...

in XBoX on Windows
    Who can I get in contact with that can give even the slightest bit of help in regards to...: Who can I get in contact with that can give even the slightest bit of help in regards to enforcement action? Customer service can’t help and the enforcement team is apparently unreachable. The...
  6. Persistent Notifications Regarding Old Refund Cases

in XBoX on Windows
    Persistent Notifications Regarding Old Refund Cases: I am deeply concerned about the relentless barrage of notifications flooding my inbox regarding old refund cases that have already been resolved. Despite my repeated requests to cease these...
  7. Question regarding Game pass

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Question regarding Game pass: Hey so I have game pass on my Xbox series X but i wish to share my game pass subscription to my brother who has an Xbox one, the game sharing part works but my brother cannot play games online for...
  8. I am writing to share my feedback and offer a valuable suggestion regarding the Xbox Series...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I am writing to share my feedback and offer a valuable suggestion regarding the Xbox Series...: My concerns revolve around the decision to create a dedicated Smart Delivery game system that restricts users from utilizing the internal disk or an extended disk connected via a single available...
  9. In regards to Xbox One, if I have the disc, do I really need to install it with the system...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    In regards to Xbox One, if I have the disc, do I really need to install it with the system...: Gave my in-laws a system, they don't have internet or are planning on doing so anytime soon, FIL wants Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2, I'm probably gonna get it for him if it's disc.. but due to the no...
  10. How to get in contact with Microsoft directly regarding Minecraft purchase

in XBoX Accessibility
    How to get in contact with Microsoft directly regarding Minecraft purchase: I clicked get Minecraft, followed prompt & logged into my Microsoft account, brought Minecraft, it loaded itself onto my child's existing minecraft account, but I wanted it for my other child. Do...