Recently my Xbox external hard drive doesn't show up on my Xbox

Discus and support Recently my Xbox external hard drive doesn't show up on my Xbox in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I'm unable to download the games that I had on the hard drive. Also I keep getting a message saying installation stopped. I've tried a hard reset,... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Moon730, May 30, 2023.

1. Moon730
    Moon730 Guest

I'm unable to download the games that I had on the hard drive. Also I keep getting a message saying installation stopped. I've tried a hard reset, removed the profiles and reinstalled them, and even did a full factory. What else can I do?

:)

Moon730, May 30, 2023
  2. Wille M. Win User

Hi, I hope you're doing great out there.

I'm an Independent advisor and I'm here to help you with your concern.

What is the make and model of your external hard drive?

Are you using an External Case HDD?

For an external storage drive to save Xbox games and apps, it must meet the following requirements:

- USB 3.0 connection. If you are using a USB hub, the hub must also be USB 3.0 or later;

-Have a storage capacity of 128 GB or greater;

- A partition. Typically, drives come with a pre-formatted partition. For more information on partitioning an external hard drive, refer to the manufacturer's instructions.

- No more than three storage devices connected to the console at the same time.

- Devices that do not meet these requirements will be treated as media storage such as music or video.

Try the procedures below, one by one, and check the result:

Step 1

Go to Settings > All Settings > Power > Power Mode > uncheck the checkbox next to "When Xbox is off, turn off storage".

Step 2

1. Turn off the console by pressing and holding the Xbox button on the front of the console for about 10 seconds. The console will shut down.

2. Turn the console back on after 5 minutes by pressing the Xbox button on the console or the Xbox button on the controller. "

step 3

Try connecting to another USB port, preferably the back USB port (if you have one)

step 4

Note: This step will erase all data on the HDD. If you have personal data, make a backup.

- Connect the unit to the PC;
    - Press Windows key + E to open Windows Explorer;
    - Find the drive in the sidebar on the left, right-click on it and select "Format...";
    - Format the drive.

Note: NTFS is the only important option; default settings can be kept. This process can take a while. Unplug the drive when format is complete

- Format the drive to work with Xbox One games and apps:
    -Turn on the Xbox, press the Menu button on the controller and navigate to the Settings page;
    -Navigate to System and manage storage;
    -Plug in the external hard drive, it should appear to the right of the internal storage. -If it doesn't, check that it meets the requirements listed on the Storage page.
    -Highlight the drive, select it with the A button (or voice or gesture), then select Format [drive for Xbox One games and apps].

If it still doesn't work, maybe the HD has entered a state of decline and doesn't work anymore.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be happy to clarify it.
    It was a pleasure interacting with you on this thread. Big hug! :)
  3. SailormoonGirl6 Win User

Xbox 360 Update

Hi Buddy..

Check to see if you have any hard drive space..

You may need a extra external hard drive.. Clear up some internal hard drive space.

Clear off the games that will re-install later on.

Buy a new External hard drive and transfer a few game to the new drive

I filed up my XBox 360 internal hard drive 500MB I need a external hard drive.

XBox just recently updated my XBox 360 too. I took off the games that is on my XBox One.

Visit:

https://beta.support.xbox.com/search?phrase=4476-0000-0080-0300-8007-0570
  4. Brickin Win User

So if you have a non official 360 hard what can you do with it to play original Xbox games. do you have to get an original 360 hard drive

Well I'm a big dummy at this lol how can you download if it doesn't show up will it show up on the external drive?

And also i have my offical hard drive but it doesn't work can i fix that? I think it was saying there know drive located or something like that
  5. xXC1utchB0ssXx Win User

Serious External Hard Drive Issues for Xbox One

Hey everyone. I have a 1.5 TB western digital external hard drive. I plugged it into my xbox one and the format option came up but my finger slipped and pressed back button. When i go to manage storage in the settings, the external hard drive doesnt show
    up. The hard drive works on my imac and i even went into disk utility to erase every mac file on the hard drive. Any help?
  6. fishbait1 Win User

External Hard Drive

My Xbox is a year old and all of a sudden doesn't recognize my external hard drive.
Thema:

1. Recently my Xbox external hard drive doesn't show up on my Xbox - Similar Threads - Recently external hard

2. My xbox series s just started recently turning off automatically when I load YouTube but it...

in XBoX on Windows
    My xbox series s just started recently turning off automatically when I load YouTube but it...: My xbox series s just started recently turning off automatically when I load YouTube but it has no issue playing games for hours at a time the system has been cleaned and I've signed in and out of...
  3. so I moved to a hotel recently and I tried to connect the wifi to my xbox but each time I...

in XBoX on Consoles
    so I moved to a hotel recently and I tried to connect the wifi to my xbox but each time I...: just a white screen each time 6ab90404-d3b6-476c-a2ae-940c9e82331f
  4. Hi, i recently got a xbox elite 2 series core controller and now the left joystick is...

in XBoX on Windows
    Hi, i recently got a xbox elite 2 series core controller and now the left joystick is...: I think a part in the left joystick might be damaged 53186acc-eb61-41c4-9da1-5f6732e77bf3
  5. can i bypass the security info change as i recently installed a new cpu and it corrupted my pin

in XBoX on Windows
    can i bypass the security info change as i recently installed a new cpu and it corrupted my pin: i recently installed a new cpu and had to change my info now i have to wait a month is there a quick fix? 9357e2ba-5488-4496-b3e2-20e2a6446de1
  6. Why does my Xbox One X no longer work after a recent update?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox One X no longer work after a recent update?: Planned Obsolescence. This is to drive revenue. There should be a lawsuit filed soon. Everyone can join in. I'll provide details. 1c74f1cd-4ba2-46e5-bb63-4b0c64c9622e
  7. Microphone not working on xbox app since most recent update

in XBoX on Consoles
    Microphone not working on xbox app since most recent update: even tho microsoft employees on this forum is as useful as rubbing a countertop with a dry asf overused napkin, i wanted to see if i could see even a glimmer of help from them, since the most...
  8. why is the recent OSU is dated back in August of 2021?

in XBoX on Consoles
    why is the recent OSU is dated back in August of 2021?: I just want the most recent OSU f3ece180-f3b6-4c18-9f4d-97752fa7aa83
  9. Capture Saving not correctly showing correct folder for recent captures

in XBoX on Windows
    Capture Saving not correctly showing correct folder for recent captures: Last week i wanted to save my captures to my external hard drive. instead of saving them to a specific folder within the harddrive, i had them save to the entire hard drive its self. because of...
  10. i recently bought an external storage expansion for my xbox series s but it keeps crashing.

in XBoX on Consoles
    i recently bought an external storage expansion for my xbox series s but it keeps crashing.: around a month ago i had just gotten a new xbox series s but noticed it lacked storage. so i found a external storage expansion and when it arrived it work perfectly fine up until around 2 weeks...