Random captures missing, bug or feature?

Discus and support Random captures missing, bug or feature? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have an Xbox One X, halo special edition. I like to record cool things that happen in my games and take screenshots, I filled up my xbox network... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Abrasive Krab, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Random captures missing, bug or feature?

I have an Xbox One X, halo special edition. I like to record cool things that happen in my games and take screenshots, I filled up my xbox network storage and cbf going through it all, given how clunky and awful the xbox and app UIs are.

Instead, I cleared some space and disabled the auto upload feature, thinking I could just keep them on my xbox and sift through them later to upload the ones I wanted to share. I also have ADHD so forgetting about things for weeks or months at a time before getting around to doing it, is normal for me.

I have since discovered that for some reason, Microsoft thought it was a good idea to go against how computers normally work and delete your hard copies regularly. Like clearing out old logs except these are treasured memories for gamers that want to upload and share later or can delete themselves if they start taking up too much space. Instead, we get.. this...

This "feature" explains why I don't have anything older than 21 days, however, I still have unexplainable missing captures, I took a BUNCH of screenshots of a particular game over the last week and not even half of them have been saved.

If it's a space issue (which it's not), wouldn't the oldest ones get deleted first, rather than just a bunch of random screenshots from different points in time over a week?

Likewise, if it was an expiration issue, why do I still have 2-3 week old files and yet SOME of the 1-5 day old files are gone?

I ask you this, Microsoft, is deleting random captures a bug or a feature? Either way, it needs to be fixed, please!

Also, please implement an adjustable setting to disable automatic deletion/expiration of captures because that's some **** right there.

While you're at it, make some improvements to your UI, it's awful and clunky and you have to press an unnecessary amount of buttons just to do simple things. Truly awful.

:)

Abrasive Krab, Jun 3, 2023
  2. Kathy A. Win User

Hello Abrasive Krab,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your Xbox One X and the automatic deletion of your captures. I can relate to how you feel about losing cherished recollections.

Regarding your missing captures, it's possible that they were not saved properly or were corrupted. However, I recommend checking your Xbox Live account to see if they were uploaded there.

As for the automatic deletion of captures, this is a feature designed to help manage storage space on your Xbox. Although a feature in captures will allow you to view captures expiring soon filter, I understand that you may want to view way past the expired captures with this feature, and for feedback we recommend you submit one by following the guide here - Provide feedback to Team Xbox | Xbox Support. This way your feedback will reach the right team - Team Xbox.

In the meantime, you can manually back up your captures to an external hard drive or upload them to your Xbox Live account to ensure they are not lost. You can also adjust the settings for automatic deletion in the Xbox settings. Regarding your feedback on the UI (User interface), please submit feedback to this too. In the meantime, you can check out the resources I provided for managing your captures and using Upload Studio to edit and share them.

Please see:

Back up your game clips | Xbox Support

Manage your game clips and screenshots | Xbox Support

Your feedback is important, please make sure to send a report to Team Xbox.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  3. Tiny the giant Win User

Achievements not unlocking

The only new feature was splitscreen. Achievements not unlocking is a small bug that one could easily miss.
  4. x24hrs2livex Win User

Please Add a "Recent Players List" Similar to Xbox 360

I must be the only person that is happy this feature is missing. Its bad enough getting random friend requests from random forum users who I dont know. I dont need random requests from idiots playing COD
  5. Bhargav Bose Win User

I just recorded a game clip on my xbox one and it doesn't show up in my captures folder. How do I get it back?! Please help

Hi there,

I also noticed that quite a few people have faced this bug. Can you ask the developers to add these features to Xbox Screen Capture:

1. Auto backup to OneDrive

2. Progress bar for the Transcoding process.
  6. Biohazzard1997 Win User

Capture Feature

Check if the game you are playing allows screenshots, as in some games it is not possible to take screenshots.
Thema:

1. Random captures missing, bug or feature? - Similar Threads - Random captures missing

2. Xbox controller connected through Xbox Wireless Adapter randomly but repeatedly develops...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox controller connected through Xbox Wireless Adapter randomly but repeatedly develops...: I've been using Xbox controllers on Windows 10 for the past 8 years, always connected through an Xbox Wireless Adapter for 2 reasons: I started with Xbox One controllers, which did not support...
  3. Random Fps drops

in XBoX on Windows
    Random Fps drops: I need help with my pc as it has been having some issues while gaming. I have a rtx 4060, AMD Ryzen 5 7600 and i was playing a game and wanted a different skin and the website that I was on I have...
  4. Xbox App Randomly Stopped Working

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox App Randomly Stopped Working: Randomly, a few months ago, my XBOX app–which has been working just fine up until now, suddenly decided to stop working. When I open up the app, all I see is the breathing XBOX logo and text, on...
  5. I have put a random command in command prompt from Youtube and now it is having issues...

in XBoX on Windows
    I have put a random command in command prompt from Youtube and now it is having issues...: Recently i have put a random command in command prompt from youtube and now i have trouble starting up epicgames, ubisoft and can't play any other games. Is there a way to fix this?...
  6. Xbox series controller pressing random buttons on its own

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series controller pressing random buttons on its own: Just got a brand new controller and a month later every button from triggers to joysticks have randomly bugging out in every game I play. I’m playing an fps called destiny 2 and when I aim I...
  7. I am trying to play minecraft, but when i click microsoft login; it puts a random email for...

in XBoX on Windows
    I am trying to play minecraft, but when i click microsoft login; it puts a random email for...: i am trying to log into my microsoft account with xbox, but it auto-fills a email for me and i cant change it, if i click the little back arrow next to the e-mail it completley exits from xbox. I...
  8. Random Unstable Wireless Connection.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Random Unstable Wireless Connection.: My wireless wifi connection has become unstable from nowhere despite nothing moving and powercycling, reconnecting, and restarting my router and console have not changed anything. This is on an...
  9. Xbox series s randomly restarted itself

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series s randomly restarted itself: I was watching a twitch stream without any heat issues and my Xbox randomly shut off without that sound that it makes when it shuts off then immediately turned back on like i pressed restart. This...
  10. My xbox series x controller disconnects and reconnects on my pc randomly

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox series x controller disconnects and reconnects on my pc randomly: Hello, recently I've been having this issue when playing a game where my controller would randomly disconnect and reconnect even in wired on PC, I tried other usb cables, batteries, another pc,...