PSA - How to move game installations from one drive to another on the XBOX App

Discus and support PSA - How to move game installations from one drive to another on the XBOX App in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; I was having this very issue and there were a few posts in this subreddit but no actual fix or explanation how to do it, so here it is. I just bought... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/MrBlund, Mar 13, 2023.

1. /u/MrBlund
    /u/MrBlund Guest

I was having this very issue and there were a few posts in this subreddit but no actual fix or explanation how to do it, so here it is.

I just bought a new NVME drive to host all of my game installations and if I tried to select a different drive on the dropdown menu from the default C: drive, it would snap back to C.

After poking around, I figured it out, follow these steps but first create the folder you want the installations to go, I called it Xbox GamePass.

1. Select the game you want to move in your library
    2. Click the 3 dots and select Manage from the list
    3. Switch to the FILES category at the top
    4. Under Options, select CHANGE DRIVE
    5. Click MOVE and done!

Note: The first time you select a new drive it will pop up with the explorer window where you can select the folder you want. Choose 'XBOX GamePass' or whatever your folder is called. Also, I had a couple games where moving was just not an option. I had to uninstall those games and reinstall, selecting the new location.

Once your games have moved, you can then go into Settings > General, and change the default install drive.

Have fun!

submitted by /u/MrBlund
    [link] [comments]

/u/MrBlund, Mar 13, 2023
  2. Reed Keel Win User

Question Regarding external hard drives and games on Xbox App PC

I understand moving them from one drive to another wouldn't be possible, but you're saying even if it's the same exact drive it isn't? I don't understand why not if it's installed on the drive and connected to my PC and installed through the same account it should be able to recognize it. It's not like I'm moving the files from one drive to another, or trying to play it without the Xbox app. If so that's really not user friendly, blows my mind with how bad the Xbox PC app is compared to something like steam. They really don't care it seems.
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

How do i add space from 1 drive to another.

Hi,

You can't transfer space from D drive to C drive because these drives are a separate physical storage devices. You should be able to install games directly to the D:\ drive. You can move installed games and apps between drives though.

You'll need to free up some storage from your C:\ drive soon, either by moving games and apps to your D:\ drive or uninstalling unused apps or games from the C:\ drive. If you don't free up storage you won't be able to update your Windows installation.

This guide explains how to move games to different drives. How you move them depends what system the game was installed with (Xbox App, Steam, Epic), but all the main one's are included here.

Disclaimer: The above link is a not a Microsoft affiliated website.
  4. CasperH1 Win User

Cannot install games on D drive says it is not formated to NTFS.

Until Microsoft fixes this bug you can also install to another hard drive and then move the game to the drive you want as a workaround.

Install to the drive it'll let you in the xbox app, then go to windows button -> settings -> system -> storage -> select the drive you want (if it's showing a different drive than the one you installed on, go to "view storage on other drives" at the bottom),
    then select apps & features. Then browse the list of apps until you find the game and click it and select "move", it'll let you move it to the hard drive you wanted it installed on in the first place.
  5. StuartATrueRed Win User

Trying to transfer games from Xbox one to new Xbox one s

6. Nkosana23 Win User

About Microsoft flight simulator move disk

Hi. My name is Brilliant, an independent advisor. I am happy to assist you today.

To move your game from one drive to another, follow these steps:
    1. Go to Settings > Apps.
    2. Find your game in the list and select Move to move the game to another drive.

Alternatively, you can try copying the game files to another drive. However, this method is not as straightforward as moving the game files, and it requires some technical knowledge. You can find detailed instructions on how to copy game files to another Xbox One console on this page: https://www.easeus.com/pc-transfer/move-games-to-another-drive-xbox.html

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

You can also redownload the game using the same login details on the Xbox app on the new drive.

I hope this helps.
Thema:

1. PSA - How to move game installations from one drive to another on the XBOX App - Similar Threads - PSA move game

2. PSA: Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 Designlab is defective by design and materials, with...

in XBoX on Windows
    PSA: Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 Designlab is defective by design and materials, with...: PSA: The Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 with customization from Design Lab sure are pretty, but are defective by design and materials. Trying to get Warranty support for the last 11 days...
  3. PSA: New Xbox Insider Satisfaction Survey in the Insider Hub

in XboX Insiders
    PSA: New Xbox Insider Satisfaction Survey in the Insider Hub: Hey all, just wanted to make a PSA that there is a new weekly survey/quest in the insider hub, asking for users satisfaction with the Insider Program. It asks how satisfied you are with the...
  4. I got banned for making a Family-Friendly PSA LFG Post?

in XBoX Accessibility
    I got banned for making a Family-Friendly PSA LFG Post?: Why was I banned? This post was 5 months ago, contained no profanity, hate speech, rule breaks, undertones, and was just a simple public service announcement to astroneer players about an upcoming...
  5. Just a quick psa about discord on xbox

in XboX Insiders
    Just a quick psa about discord on xbox: If you suddenly lost the option for discord on xbox like I did use this link https://discord.com/feature/xboxLinkBeta seems to be the only way to get it to connect again submitted by /u/Valor111...
  6. PSA: Dolby Vision for Gaming only works at 60Hz at the moment

in XboX Insiders
    PSA: Dolby Vision for Gaming only works at 60Hz at the moment: You have to set your Xbox to 60Hz instead of 120Hz to enable Dolby Vision for Gaming at the moment. submitted by /u/Rivanov [link] [comments]
  7. PSA: you can now have custom profile pictures

in XBoX on Mobile
    PSA: you can now have custom profile pictures: I dont know if this has been posted yet 9d2a65fe-4472-40f4-ba05-27c2a5466ccc
  8. PSA my series X kept shutting off within a minute or two of starting possible fix for everyone.

in XboX Insiders
    PSA my series X kept shutting off within a minute or two of starting possible fix for everyone.: PSA my series X kept shutting off within a minute or two of starting. I've tried resetting it to fix the problem that didn't work, but turning off HDMI CEC corrected the issue. My LG CX wasn't...
  9. PSA: Select “Spacious” in the DTS Sound Unbound app for a larger spatial sound stage.

in XboX Insiders
    PSA: Select “Spacious” in the DTS Sound Unbound app for a larger spatial sound stage.: Despite what the app tells you it doesn’t automatically select DTS in your sound settings so you need to manually select it in your Xbox audio settings. After you’ve done that and selected...
  10. PSA: No Mans Sky Beta on the Xbox Insider App (and by extension the Game Pass PC Version...

in XboX Insiders
    PSA: No Mans Sky Beta on the Xbox Insider App (and by extension the Game Pass PC Version...: As long as you have SteamVR open when you launch it, you will get a popup asking you whether or not you want to play in VR on launch. Works really well so far, seems to run as well as the steam...