Problem with disc drive reading Xbox One discs

Discus and support Problem with disc drive reading Xbox One discs in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hello! I recently ran into a problem where my Xbox would not read my Xbox One game discs. It has no issue reading backwards compatible Xbox 360 game... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by N4UGHTY KOOL4ID, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Problem with disc drive reading Xbox One discs

Hello! I recently ran into a problem where my Xbox would not read my Xbox One game discs. It has no issue reading backwards compatible Xbox 360 game discs so this seems kind of strange to me. I either get errors stating that I don't have the license,
    I don't own the game, the disc is not compatible, or I need to insert the disc. I was able to get a game or two to work, but this seems to affects the majority of my discs. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

:)

N4UGHTY KOOL4ID, Jul 10, 2020
  2. Mythic xSagex Win User

Disc Drive Issues

3. Daevac7c64936-f42f-4 Win User

Why cant I play backwards compatible games on my new Xbox one X?

I've a similar issue but it doesn't read discs atal.

Problem with the disc drive.

Clear your cache in settings under blu ray?
    Its not the disc drive I have xbox one game disc that work fine.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Retrocompatibilidade [Translate] Backwards Compatible

Hi,

Sorry about your problem there.

If the power cycle doesn't work, then I'm sorry but your console will require a repair.

The drive that reads discs in your Xbox One is a Blu-ray optical drive. It uses a blue type laser to read the data etched into the Blu-ray discs that Xbox One game discs use. Xbox 360 discs on the other hand are DVD discs. DVD discs are read by a red laser.
    Both the red and the blue lasers are built into the consoles optical drive as a complete package.

Sometimes one of the laser mechanisms will fail. So you'll either have Xbox One discs (and Blu-ray films) read fine, but DVD discs - both Xbox games, and DVD movie discs - not be read. It can also happen the other way around.

There is no way to fix this yourself. You would have to send the whole unit off to Microsoft for a repair.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

xbox one disk drive

Hi,

it won't be a software problem. The reason is because the Xbox One's Blu-Ray drive actually has two laser diodes, one for reading Blu-Ray Xbox One discs and movies and another to read Xbox 360 and DVD movie discs.

Essentially the laser that reads BD discs has failed and it's not something you can repair yourself.

Sorry about that.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Hi,

There is hardware problem with the Blu-ray laser on your Xbox One's Blu-ray drive. There are actually two lasers in the unit, one can read DVD discs - which means Xbox 360 games and DVD movies and another to read Xbox One games and Blu-ray movie discs.

If the issue is with the laser diode, it's quite common to see one type of disc being able to be read and another not. In most cases I've seen recently it's been the other way around, with Xbox One games and BD discs being recognised but not Xbox 360 games
    and DVD's.

If you have any movies on Blu-ray, test them out. If the console can't read these, the issue is with the drive.

Unfortunately there isn't a user fix, you'll need to send the console to be repaired.
Thema:

1. Problem with disc drive reading Xbox One discs - Similar Threads - Problem disc drive

2. how to fix open tray problem. can I buy a new disc drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    how to fix open tray problem. can I buy a new disc drive: need to know if im able to purchase a new disc drive or would it accept a new drive a430265b-6961-4452-9bcc-b23772f3f2ba
  3. Xbox 360 S disc drive problem - menu says "Play Game" or "Play DVD" when disc is inserted...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 S disc drive problem - menu says "Play Game" or "Play DVD" when disc is inserted...: Hi everyone, I have an Xbox 360 Slim console that I had just replaced the disc drive in (the tray broke in the last one). The problem I am having with it is that when I insert a game disc, the...
  4. Xbox Series X disc drive sound when installing from disc. Is this correct or a problem?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X disc drive sound when installing from disc. Is this correct or a problem?: Hi! XBOX Series X Disc Drive make this sound when installing from disc. Is this correct or a problem? Im little worried because this is my first console with disc drive. You can hear some...
  5. Disc Drive Issue - Hardware or Software Problem?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Disc Drive Issue - Hardware or Software Problem?: We've been having an issue for a handful of months now where our Xbox doesn't recognize discs - no error, no noise or anything to indicate the drive is being activated. If I put a game in and it...
  6. Original Xbox Disc Drive Problem

in XBoX on Consoles
    Original Xbox Disc Drive Problem: Hello, My original Xbox's Phillips drive stopped spinning discs recently, causing the system to not recognize game discs entirely. Where could I get another original Xbox Phillips Drive? Are...
  7. Disc drive problem?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Disc drive problem?: My One S did something weird today, I ejected my disc from my xbox and put another game in the disc slot, but my Xbox didn't suck the disc in. My xbox was acting really weird, like there was...
  8. Xbox one S Disc Drive problem?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one S Disc Drive problem?: Hello so I have had my Xbox one S for about 9 months now and in all that time its been fine, but the disc drive has one moment every so often were it rarely doesnt read a disc after I insert it...
  9. Xbox Disc Drive Problem

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Disc Drive Problem: I don't know if this is the right place to post this so if it's not, please let me know where to go. Our Xbox One is having some disc problems with it. When we turn it on it makes a rrrrrrrr...
  10. DISC drive Problem

in XBoX on Consoles
    DISC drive Problem: Hey guys I just want to tell you what I did l. Well I sent back my Xbox because my Xbox didn't want to eject discs. But after I used the paperclip a second time to get my disc out again, the drive...