Problem to format External Storage

Discus and support Problem to format External Storage in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, I started this discussion on Twitter's support, but it was not very efficient. So, let's go: I bought an external storage: Samsung M3 Portable,... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Max Andriani, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Max Andriani
    Max Andriani Guest

Hi,

I started this discussion on Twitter's support, but it was not very efficient. So, let's go:

I bought an external storage: Samsung M3 Portable, with USB 3.0 and 1TB (terabyte) of space; My Xbox One recognizes this disc and starts the New Disc wizard like the following image:

When I plug HDD on X1

The problem is after I click on "Format", the disc disappears and it returns few minutes later. But X1 only recognizes him as a new storage. In short it is like if the disc was not formatted, and X1 displays again the New Disc Wizard. I made a video to show
    that:

Plugging External Storage on X1

I think my X1 tries to format the HDD, and occurs some error, and X1 detects the disk like him never was plugged before and start the process again in a looping.

If I try to connect the same disk on PC after try to install it on X1, I can see that all partitions are removed but nothing was created. The disc is empty like the first time that I plugged it on PC.

• I already tried restart X1;
    • I tried a power cycle of;
    • The HHD is fine and works fine on PC. I bought it almost 1 year ago;

:)

Max Andriani, Jun 23, 2014
  2. Morbidpsycho
    Morbidpsycho Guest
    External Hard Drive

Not sure , I'll check and let you know what I find.

ok , I found out how to do it . Find the settings then go to System then from System find the column that has Storage listed at the top. Underneath it should have "Manage Storage" . Then when I click on that it says Storage Select a device to see its options and I have an Internal and my formatted X box external hard drive . Move the Highlight from the Internal to the External hard drive and click the "A" button on the controller and it brings up a list
    View Contents , Install here by default , Rename , and Format.
    So just highlight the Install here by Default and your games will install on the External hard drive instead of the Internal.

I hope this helps out .

Morbidpsycho, Jun 23, 2014
  3. ToxicOtter
    ToxicOtter Guest
    Move Save Games from Internal HDD to External Storage

I'm attempting to move all storage from internal to external, but when I go to manage storage and select the external there is no option to set as default, only view & format. Any suggestions?

ToxicOtter, Jun 23, 2014
  4. Problem to format External Storage

When you connect it for the first time all data will wiped from the hard drive if it wasn't formatted before hand by your xbox.

SGT MacMillan, Jun 24, 2014
  5. Max Andriani
    Max Andriani Guest
    STG MacMillan,

X1 only removes the partitions on my HDD, and it didn't create anything else.

Searching a little bit more, I found this discussion (forums.xbox.com/.../1769352.aspx). I think that I have the same problem, but I didn't
    found a solution yet.

I tried contact support by phone, but the woman didn't understood that I have an X1 and she saids: You have to bought an HD certified by Microsoft (like this:

www.100gamesinfo.com.br/.../produto_8591_8285_HD-250GB-para-Xbox-360-Slim
    )

On twitter the support only said: Try restart your X1 (¬¬); Of course!!! I couldn't think it by myself!

Max Andriani, Jun 24, 2014
  6. Leo ama Ana
    Leo ama Ana Guest
    I am having the exact same problem, I tried formatting the HDD before on the PC and made no difference at all.

Can anyone please help?

Leo ama Ana, Aug 20, 2014
  7. Hey there, Leo ama Ana! This thread is kind of old. If you could, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into, any error codes you're getting, and troubleshooting you've already done. This way we can get you the individual support that
    works best on the forums! Problem to format External Storage :D

Misses Quinzel, Oct 31, 2018
  8. Max Andriani Win User

STG MacMillan,

X1 only removes the partitions on my HDD, and it didn't create anything else.

Searching a little bit more, I found this discussion (forums.xbox.com/.../1769352.aspx). I think that I have the same problem, but I didn't
    found a solution yet.

I tried contact support by phone, but the woman didn't understood that I have an X1 and she saids: You have to bought an HD certified by Microsoft (like this:

www.100gamesinfo.com.br/.../produto_8591_8285_HD-250GB-para-Xbox-360-Slim
    )

On twitter the support only said: Try restart your X1 (¬¬); Of course!!! I couldn't think it by myself!
  9. Misses Quinzel Win User

Hey there, Leo ama Ana! This thread is kind of old. If you could, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into, any error codes you're getting, and troubleshooting you've already done. This way we can get you the individual support that
    works best on the forums! :D
  10. Leo ama Ana Win User

I am having the exact same problem, I tried formatting the HDD before on the PC and made no difference at all.

Can anyone please help?
  11. SGT MacMillan Win User

When you connect it for the first time all data will wiped from the hard drive if it wasn't formatted before hand by your xbox.
  12. eber3 Win User

Copy Xbox slim 360 games into Nas network drive

I don't believe external storage any longer needs to be formatted with the XBox's file system. I bought a new external drive, plugged it in, and have successfully been using it without a problem for months despite never formatting it at all.
Thema:

1. Problem to format External Storage - Similar Threads - Problem format External

2. Problem with logging into the Xbox

in XBoX Accessibility
    Problem with logging into the Xbox: Hello, I have a problem with logging into the Xbox system. When I log in, it shows up like in the picture. I reset it all but it still shows up like this. Please help me TT...
  3. Problems with right joystick on elite series 2 controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Problems with right joystick on elite series 2 controller: Pressing the right joy stick down turns the controller off and the controller will not turn back on until it is plugged in, controller does not register up or down movement on the right joystick...
  4. Help me, I'm having a problem with my Xbox series S

in XboX Insiders
    Help me, I'm having a problem with my Xbox series S: The Microsoft store app is days in an eternal update, at some point in the update there is an error in which it is (0x87e00017)only that games are installing normally less other apps like Bing,...
  5. fallout 4 problem

in XBoX on Consoles
    fallout 4 problem: Every time that i try to play fallout 4 i am told “ we can’t save more data for this game or app” i was wondering my how to fix this issue 6f6d4c0a-5a87-44a1-b732-47f2274a43ac
  6. Xbox 360 wifi connection problem

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 wifi connection problem: I'm not ale to connect to wireless wifi with my Xbox 360 and I keep getting a error when I try and it says failed then two blocks 698b7610-5b9d-4c61-838e-251c0fd1a866
  7. Xbox one disc problem keeps stopping

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox one disc problem keeps stopping: I just bought farcry 5 on disc and it's downloaded 23% but stopped and keeps saying "installation stopped" and then a loud vibrating sound comes from my xbox for a second, is this a disc problem...
  8. Problem capturing gameplay in the new update - Series X

in XboX Insiders
    Problem capturing gameplay in the new update - Series X: Hey guys! A few weeks ago I was part of the Insider program, I was in the Omega ring (OS Version 10.0.25398.4086), and my Xbox started having problems recording, I simply couldn't start...
  9. I have a xbox account and then I got enough points to get 100 robux but the problem is that...

in XBoX on Windows
    I have a xbox account and then I got enough points to get 100 robux but the problem is that...: Please just give me my robux but I think that is expired b27477b9-d140-499a-aed1-05f4c87eae23
  10. Problem to format an USB device

in XBoX on Consoles
    Problem to format an USB device: Hi, I try to format a USB device (8 Go). First my PC propose : NFTS ou FAT32 or ex FAT. First question, what is the good one ? I've tried with the 3 possibilities, then connect my USB device...