Problem installing some games on external hard drive XBox One S

Discus and support Problem installing some games on external hard drive XBox One S in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I'm recently encountering issues with few games when trying to install them on the external hard drive of my Xbox One S. To be precise,... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Melzebu, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Melzebu
    Melzebu Guest

Hi everyone,

I'm recently encountering issues with few games when trying to install them on the external hard drive of my Xbox One S.

To be precise, my external hard drive is a HDD on a docking station connected by USB 3.0 cable.

I've tested this with several games, from the Store and from the BattlePass.

So far, the issue occurred with Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War, Call of Duty: Vanguard, and Marvel Avengers.

If I install those games on the internal storage, they get installed successfully but when I try to install them on the external drive the installation stops randomly.

I even attempted several times to resume the installation, it progresses a little bit and then stops again.

I followed instructions like restarting the console, unplugging the power cable for a couple of minutes, removed the ethernet cable, tried to install using Wi-Fi, formatted the external drive, deleted stored data files, completely removed the games from any storage but the issue would persist.

I tried also to move/copy (tested both) the games from the internal storage to the external one and the same thing happens. It starts to transfer and then it stops randomly at different percentages.

When testing other games, I picked large games as well as games that didn't require much space.

As I said, they all installed with no problems except the ones I mentioned above.

I do not have any other external drive to test this issue but I assume the HDD is not the problem since it works with all other games.

Internet connection is not the problem either as it works smoothly to download and install content, watch Netflix, and play online.

Any idea?

Thanks

:)

Melzebu, Nov 7, 2021
  2. Germangamr91 Win User

Series S wont recognize installed games

I installed them on my old xbox one and transferred them to the external hard drive so I know they are on the hard drive

All my installed games appear correctly as installed on my Xbox one if I connect the hard drive to it. But when I connect the hard drive to my Series S, most of the installed games appear but about 9 of them do not. The missing games appear as ready to install on my Series S
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

xbox series x seagate from xbox one not showing any games when plugged into the series x

Hi,

Do you still have your Xbox One and does your external hard drive still work on that console?

I have successfully connected both my Seagate 'Game Drive' and my external SSD USB 3.0 drives to my Series S without any problems. All my installed games show up fine.

The Series X/S supports the same external drives as the Xbox One/S/X support. If your drive isn't being detected it's probably become corrupted or has a hardware issue.
  4. StuartATrueRed Win User

Storage Device too slow error

Xbox Series X|S games can only be installed on the console's internal storage or the external Seagate SSD card. Link here. External drives are too slow for those games. The external hard drive can only be used to install backward compatible games (Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One).
  5. HellMark619 Win User

Forza horizon 3 keeps breaking

hi, are you playing it on the original Xbox one or xbox one s or Xbox one x ? and did you try re-installing the game ? if you have it on an external hard drive it might be the drive lagging the game
  6. DarthLegacy905 Win User

Question

I have an external hard drive connected to my Xbox One S, and I can install the games directly to it. However, saves are sent to the cloud.
Thema:

1. Problem installing some games on external hard drive XBox One S - Similar Threads - Problem installing games

2. On Xbox 360, If a game installs to HDD 100% without any problems, does this mean the disc...

in XBoX on Consoles
    On Xbox 360, If a game installs to HDD 100% without any problems, does this mean the disc...: on an Xbox 360, If a game installs to HDD 100% without any problems, does this mean the disc is healthy ? Is this a good way of testing whether a disc is healthy ?...
  3. Series X game installation problem ?

in XboX Insiders
    Series X game installation problem ?: Hello dear Xbox users, does anyone had or has the problem where you can’t install games from games pass or bought games? Like I press install and it doesn’t do anything neither puts it in queue or...
  4. Problem with the installation of a new game on xbox game pass

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Problem with the installation of a new game on xbox game pass: Hi today they add Assassins Creed Valhalla on game pass so i want to play it on my Pc, but when i try to install it i got a sad face, and i dont know what to do, any idea of what is happening?...
  5. Microsoft flight Simulator problem that directs me to install gaming services- HELP PLZ

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Microsoft flight Simulator problem that directs me to install gaming services- HELP PLZ: Hi, I uninstalled Microsoft Flight Simulator a while back until I could get a larger SSD installed in my PC. I now want to reinstall and fly again. I noticed the Microsoft Flight Simulator is...
  6. i purchased ea24 and installed it no problem the 2 weeks later my game is installed but...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    i purchased ea24 and installed it no problem the 2 weeks later my game is installed but...: game is purchased and installed but when i try play it says i need to purchase it 98e90c89-8e42-402e-ad8c-dd2f7e4393d6
  7. Disc game installation problem.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Disc game installation problem.: Hello, i tried in my two consoles to install two different games ( in this case , Battlefield V and Rainbow Six Siege ) thanks to my disc. But after the download pass the « ready to start » thing...
  8. I bought Injustice 2 Legendary Edition I installed the game without problem but when I try...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I bought Injustice 2 Legendary Edition I installed the game without problem but when I try...: I bought Injustice 2 Legendary Edition I installed the game without problem but when I try to use the characters and new skins asked me to buy again dlcs can I have assistance please ?...
  9. The Xbox app has a problem installing the game.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    The Xbox app has a problem installing the game.: Yesterday I installed Payday 2 in the Epic Game app and stardew valley in the Xbox app. When I finished loading Payday 2 I came to see the progress of loading stardew valley but it stuck at 5.2...
  10. Xbox PC App installed games are gone and "There was a problem load install locations. Try...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox PC App installed games are gone and "There was a problem load install locations. Try...: I recently updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11 on TWO computers and now both of them have this issue after the update. What's happening: Games no longer show in the Installed section of the...