Power brick is on and actually running when console is off

Discus and support Power brick is on and actually running when console is off in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I'd like a consult before getting a repair - I have a 360 Slim Halo:Reach edition. I have had power problems in the past but this one has me stymied.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by SaintSamMills51, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Power brick is on and actually running when console is off

I'd like a consult before getting a repair - I have a 360 Slim Halo:Reach edition. I have had power problems in the past but this one has me stymied. If my power brick is plugged in, even if the console is off, the light on the brick stays green and the
    fan inside the power brick runs as if the xbox is on. There are no lights on the console - if I try to turn it on I get the beep and a temporary green dot but then it shuts off right away. The brick no longer shows amber or red, ever, just green. Why would
    my power brick think it's powering the xbox when it's really not?

:)

SaintSamMills51, Jan 6, 2016
  2. gds1972
    gds1972 Guest
    Power brick won't turn off

Hi

The power brick for the Xbox One console never fully turns off if your console is set to instant on mode the light on the power brick will remain white with the console switched off and if the console is set to power save mode the light will be orange/yellow
    when the console is switched off.

gds1972, Jan 6, 2016
  3. power brick stays on when xbox one is off

The Xbox One has 2 power modes. The first is "Instant-On" mode in which the console is in a low power state in order to update in the background and boot-up in less than 10 seconds when you turn it on(Power Brick light is white when off)). The second option
    is "Energy-Saver" and this results in the console turning completely off when you power it down. In this mode, the console does not update itself while off and it takes about a minute to boot-up the system when turned on (Power Brick light is orange when off).

TangentialShark, Jan 6, 2016
  4. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest

That's not good at all. If you have a friend who has a 360 then see if you can try their power brick. If you console turns on with no issues then the brick will need to be replaced with a new one.

If it doesn't work then you'll need to repair/replace the console.

onyxishere, Jan 6, 2016
  5. Thank you. After I posted the first message I went back and unhooked the power brick from the XBOX completely and plugged the power brick into the wall. The light was green and the fan went on anyway, even though it wasn't hooked to the console.

SaintSamMills51, Oct 31, 2018
  6. SaintSamMills51 Win User

Thank you. After I posted the first message I went back and unhooked the power brick from the XBOX completely and plugged the power brick into the wall. The light was green and the fan went on anyway, even though it wasn't hooked to the console.
  7. onyxishere Win User

That's not good at all. If you have a friend who has a 360 then see if you can try their power brick. If you console turns on with no issues then the brick will need to be replaced with a new one.

If it doesn't work then you'll need to repair/replace the console.
  8. IceStorm III Win User

my power brick

That sounds... odd. The power brick doesn't have an on/off switch and the console's "switch" is really just a power switch relay like a PCs, not an actual power on/off switch.

The power brick isn't user servicable, like most PC power supplies. I assume you've tried swapping power bricks with a working console to see if the problem is the brick or the console?

There's also the
    power supply troubleshooter
  9. IceStorm III Win User

Xbox one power supply

[quote user="CrazyKraka"]Concerning the power supply if im to purchase a 240v power supply would the console run properly or is the system only designed to run off of one voltage.[/quote]The console runs off DC power. The power brick converts from the local
    AC power standard to the DC power required by the console. An Xbox One power supply designed to run in a 240v region will provide the correct DC power to the console.

Note that the Xbox One power supplies are not worldwide compatible from an AC input perspective. A US power brick will not work in a 240v region.
  10. gds1972 Win User

Power brick won't turn off

Hi

The power brick for the Xbox One console never fully turns off if your console is set to instant on mode the light on the power brick will remain white with the console switched off and if the console is set to power save mode the light will be orange/yellow
    when the console is switched off.
Thema:

1. Power brick is on and actually running when console is off - Similar Threads - Power brick actually

2. How to fix my power brick

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to fix my power brick: I unplugged my outlet that everything was into and when i tried to plug it back up. The xbox wouldn’t turn on turns out the power brick light is red. Everything has been fine up to this point and...
  3. Why is my Original xbox one ruining power bricks with every single xbox update

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my Original xbox one ruining power bricks with every single xbox update: I Have an original xbox one and every single time xbox does an update it causes powerfully issues. Before I went aftermarket I went oem with power supplies I bought 1 new 1 refurbished and 1 used...
  4. My Xbox brick was working fine for a few months but then the power turned off for around 8...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox brick was working fine for a few months but then the power turned off for around 8...: This happened before to my old one and I had to buy a new one. 16f3027a-0c4c-4e9c-9056-52b46181b140
  5. purchased a new power brick from e bay which was suitable for my x box one . the led light...

in XBoX on Consoles
    purchased a new power brick from e bay which was suitable for my x box one . the led light...: need help with the above question f02c1c57-ebc2-487d-91c4-fbd4ca38a7af
  6. Xbox Power Brick Has A Red Light Only When The Xbox Is Off, How To Fix?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Power Brick Has A Red Light Only When The Xbox Is Off, How To Fix?: My Xbox power brick has a bright red light whenever the Xbox one is turned off, but when I turn it on it has a weak green light, it hasn’t affected me in any way but I want to make sure...
  7. is my power brick busted?

in XBoX Accessibility
    is my power brick busted?: a couple of months ago my xbox stopped working, when i would go to plug in my xbox, the power brick would be orange for about a second or so, then turn off. i tried using it again today to see if...
  8. My Xbox power brick popped and now my lights in my room are out?!

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox power brick popped and now my lights in my room are out?!: I was playing and all of a sudden I heard a pop and all my lights just in my room shut off 4ae8686f-e1a1-4d1f-aff5-c14e0f5e8488
  9. Why does my Xbox one power brick randomly power off when I'm in games like Fortnite but not...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox one power brick randomly power off when I'm in games like Fortnite but not...: Sometimes the power supply randomly shuts off. Then I plug it out for 10 seconds it comes back on, no light flashes it's just the usual orange and white light I'm confused why this happens and why...
  10. Xbox one power brick burning out on only one xbox.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one power brick burning out on only one xbox.: My dad's xbox, no matter which powerbrick, randomly turns off, no matter what games he will play, one powerbrick is 1 year old and one dates back to 2013-2016, both of them don't work on his xbox...