Poor Video Quality from streaming services

Discus and support Poor Video Quality from streaming services in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have just recently got an Apple TV 4th Gen (Non 4K) for cheap and noticed that everything that was streamed look far higher quality. In blocks of... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by loomx, Oct 15, 2017.

1. loomx
    loomx Guest

I have just recently got an Apple TV 4th Gen (Non 4K) for cheap and noticed that everything that was streamed look far higher quality. In blocks of colour and dark areas, the was much more detail, doing a back to back comparison, the Xbox One has a blocky
    low bit rate appearance in these types of scenes.

Also on lots of services (iPlayer, Sky Go, Netflix, Amazon ect.) The xbox starts streaming at low res then jumps up to higer res, the Apple TV just plays it instantly at full quality and looks infinitely better!

What is going on, why is the Xbox so poor for media quality?

My Xbox is connected via Ethernet to my router, as is my Apple TV. My home internet is Fibre to the House and I get 125Mbps down/25Mbps up (Speed definitely isn't an issue, if I download a game it usually hits 80Mbps). And side by side you can see the difference.
    NAT is open, UPnP is working fine. The Xbox is set up correctly with high colour depth, vie even tried doing back to back comparisons with every possible setting on the HDMI settings for the Xbox, and the Apple TV just destroys it every time.

I have just done a full reset of the power on the Xbox and no improvement. I didn't ever really notice it much before, because it is streaming in 1080p. But back to back, it is substantially different, is this because it has to go through Xbox Servers AND
    through the video service servers?

(Just to add, it can't be any display setting issues, because I am comparing them back to back on the same display.)

Is there anything else that can be tried? Its so frustrating. I was planning on getting an Xbox One X as my all in one 4k Device, and now this has completely put me off.

:)

loomx, Oct 15, 2017
  2. Big King Fun
    Big King Fun Guest
    Big King Fun, Oct 15, 2017
  3. Shortcup
    Shortcup Guest
    poor netflix streaming quality

playtendo2003,

The immediate solution that I have found to the low bar, poor stream quality of the 360 netflix app is to switch the audio from 5.1 to stereo. This is something that you can manage within the episode or film, while you're watching. It's part of the
    audio and subtitles settings.

Though this doesn't resolve the matter should you wish to have 5.1 audio supported, I have found it is an IMMEDIATE fix. Once I selected "stereo" instead of 5.1 the bars jumped from one bar to full. Perhaps this workaround will suffice for you.

Unfortunately, the netflix app for the 360 has been garbage since the party screening feature was removed, not to mention the selection of available titles plummeting after losing their licensing agreements with MGM, Universal and Warner Bros.

I digress.

Let me know if this workaround fix improves your streaming quality (visually, that is).

Cheers,

-

Shortcup, Oct 15, 2017
  4. vFlare Win User

What happened to Five minutes?

Mine are decent quality as well. I assume quality problems stem from streaming the videos from a server (perhaps the cloud?) Also, even if it were 480p, the convenience of the service is a factor, not just the quality. Not everyone has a capture card ready
    to stream to the nearest computer for storage.
  5. Big King Fun Win User
  6. NewBlacksmurf Win User

Xbox design team please review - video about Xbox One controller , stereo adapter, play n charge kit - identifying issues of poor design)

7. lanzarlaluna Win User

I am having the same issues. Amazon video is amazing quality but Netflix is 1-2 bars on average.
  8. Shortcup Win User

playtendo2003,

The immediate solution that I have found to the low bar, poor stream quality of the 360 netflix app is to switch the audio from 5.1 to stereo. This is something that you can manage within the episode or film, while you're watching. It's part of the
    audio and subtitles settings.

Though this doesn't resolve the matter should you wish to have 5.1 audio supported, I have found it is an IMMEDIATE fix. Once I selected "stereo" instead of 5.1 the bars jumped from one bar to full. Perhaps this workaround will suffice for you.

Unfortunately, the netflix app for the 360 has been garbage since the party screening feature was removed, not to mention the selection of available titles plummeting after losing their licensing agreements with MGM, Universal and Warner Bros.

I digress.

Let me know if this workaround fix improves your streaming quality (visually, that is).

Cheers,

-
Thema:

1. Poor Video Quality from streaming services - Similar Threads - Poor Video Quality

2. Poor Quality Microsoft Xbox Wireless Over-the-Head Bluetooth Gaming Headset, Black model:...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Poor Quality Microsoft Xbox Wireless Over-the-Head Bluetooth Gaming Headset, Black model:...: What is going on with your Microsoft Xbox Wireless Over-the-Head Bluetooth Gaming Headset, Black (model: TLL-00001)?! Three headsets bought, 2 of them broke in the exact same spot and yet you...
  3. XBOX Series X Controller/Poor Support - Can't Resolve Issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX Series X Controller/Poor Support - Can't Resolve Issue: I purchased my XBOX Series X last summer. My controller is now experiencing drift on the right stick. Not only does my account show my 1-year warranty is expired, it shows that this warranty was...
  4. Xbox wireless adapter - Poor sound quality

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox wireless adapter - Poor sound quality: Why is this issue being ignored? People have been posting about this for over 2 years now and still no fixed?...
  5. I have poor video when cloud gaming

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I have poor video when cloud gaming: I'm lagging all the time on my games and it annoying me 7b3f9d29-269b-4bf1-a0d6-db30b36677da
  6. Gamepass Cloud Streaming Unplayable: Poor video quality over 1Gbps internet service.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Gamepass Cloud Streaming Unplayable: Poor video quality over 1Gbps internet service.: I'm starting to use the streaming capabilities of Xbox Cloud that's part of my Gamepass Ultimate subscription. I'm experiencing an issue that I'm having a hard time finding anyone else having, let...
  7. Poor video quality while cloud gaming on pc and mobile

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Poor video quality while cloud gaming on pc and mobile: Video is extremely corrupted while trying to play any game on Game Pass Cloud Beta. My internet is not the issues as I'm on a 1.5GBPS plan with Bell in Ontario and consistently download around...
  8. Looking for help troubleshooting poor video quality over my 1Gbps internet service.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Looking for help troubleshooting poor video quality over my 1Gbps internet service.: So I'm starting to use the streaming capabilities of Xbox Cloud on my Gamepass Ultimate subscription. Having a weird issue that I'm having a hard time finding anyone else having, let alone any way...
  9. Streaming ISSUES - HBO GO, Amazon Intant Play getting POOR VIDEO QUALITY

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Streaming ISSUES - HBO GO, Amazon Intant Play getting POOR VIDEO QUALITY: What's the problem lately with these apps on Live... They're not getting any bars or only 1-2, nowhere near HD quality. My connection is fine, I'm getting 60 Mbps down on the computer (wireless)...
  10. Video Streaming Apps- Poor Performance

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Video Streaming Apps- Poor Performance: Hello All, I'm sure its been mentioned in other threads but is anyone else experiencing poor video performance when watching video streaming apps like Netflix and Vudu? I'm not even sure how to...