Please Help with Xbox 3.5TB External Hard Drive.

Discus and support Please Help with Xbox 3.5TB External Hard Drive. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; i dont really know where else to turn so i will try to explain as much as i can. i bought an external hard drive for my xbox one about a year ago, it... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Virtua2447, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Virtua2447
    Virtua2447 Guest

i dont really know where else to turn so i will try to explain as much as i can.

i bought an external hard drive for my xbox one about a year ago, it was on sale at gamestop and i figure it would be a good invesment to have for downloading more games in the future. well i never really used it up until about a month ago and i noticed
    that even while it was plugged in, my xbox one wouldnt recgonize it. so i unplugged it and tried to format it like it would tell me to do so so i could use it.

now im not entirely sure what happened to it, it could be damaged, there may be something wrong with my xbox one itself, but the drive wont format, (if it is formatting and i dont realize it, the xbox one doesnt tell me anything) and it makes me xbox unresponsive
    and very slow. you literally have to fully shutdown the console,m unplug the drive and wait like 5 minutes before trying anything again.

so here's what i've tried, and still nothing works

1) i formatted the drive on my computer to NTFS, as it says on some guides i have read online, it sort of a way to reset the device completely.

2) i tried using different cables that connected the device to my xbox one, none of those worked.

3) let the device sit there and hope that something happens or something tells me that its being formatted while plugged into my xbox one and nothing happened.

i've only gotten the device to work like once and even then it wasnt responsive and it made my xbox slow.

:)

Virtua2447, Mar 6, 2020
  2. Jayhab4real Win User

You mentioned trying different cables, are they all usb3?
  3. Vinny #1 Win User

4. steeledwand7664 Win User

Have you tried a different USB port on the Xbox?
  5. Whiteleaf2012 Win User

Make and model of the drive?
  6. ArminatorX Win User

so here's what i've tried, and still nothing works

1) i formatted the drive on my computer to NTFS, as it says on some guides i have read online, it sort of a way to reset the device completely.

[...]
    When you formatted the drive, did you UN-check the Quick Format option?

From what I read from your description, it might be that there is some corruption on the drive, that prevents proper reading/writing to certain parts of the drive.

However, if you only choose to Quick Format the drive, the PC will only erase the "Table of Contents" of the drive, not the actual content.

Please try to format the drive again with the Quick Format option unchecked. This will really write over every part of the drive, and if your PC hangs or stutters while doing a proper format of the drive, the drive is probably defective, and you should check
    if the drive is still within factory warranty.
Thema:

1. Please Help with Xbox 3.5TB External Hard Drive. - Similar Threads - Please Help 5TB

2. please help me

in XBoX on Windows
    please help me: In 2021 I got an Xbox 360 with Minecraft on it and a nice hard drive. Three years later the hard drive started making this clicking sound then the Xbox button turn red and E68 error code. I got my...
  3. Please help me. I don’t know what to do. My account banned

in XBoX on Consoles
    Please help me. I don’t know what to do. My account banned: Hello. Please help me. I got my only account banned. I have serious health problems and I don't have many joys in life other than playing my xbox. no friends no girlfriend. I am depressed. The...
  4. I was wrongfully com banned please help?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    I was wrongfully com banned please help?: so basically i got com banned for someone reporting an old message which i admit i did say, but recently around the end of march, i was com banned for over a year because of hate speech, and in...
  5. Please help.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Please help.: For some reason my xbox keeps spamming the button A i turned off my controller it still did it. i shut my xbox off it still did it. I switched controllers AND opened it up and put rubbing alcohol....
  6. I can't install games (please help me)

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't install games (please help me): Hello and welcome to my personal hell the last 2 days. My computer refuses to install games from the Xbox app. I can click the install button, but cannot choose a folder within my hard drive to...
  7. PLEASE HELp

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    PLEASE HELp: It won't give me the option to join or invite any of my friends to games. All my permissions are on and i have live, idk what the issue is. 50115d1e-6b03-4e43-ad40-4d7701b9542b
  8. Xbox series s high ping issue. Please help

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series s high ping issue. Please help: Please help my xbox just went high ping out of nowhere. Tried different dns doesn't help, and my signal strength is 100% submitted by /u/LFC_Lad [link] [comments]
  9. Please help: looking for new headphones

in XboX Insiders
    Please help: looking for new headphones: Recently bought VOID RBG elite wireless headphones, but quickly realized they do not work with Xbox one. Looking for recommendations on headphones to use. I’ve been thinking of these two: turtle...
  10. Please help, can't open any games

in XboX Insiders
    Please help, can't open any games: Hi everyone, So my Xbox isn't loading any games.. been doing it for 2 weeks so I did a full reset and all was good... Until 2 days later.. I lost my cool because I can't open anything once again....