Play to MKV Files

Discus and support Play to MKV Files in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi I have a bit of problem, I know the Xbox One is capable of playing MKV files via the play to function on any Windows 8/8.1 computer which I made us... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by nicentra93, Jan 5, 2014.

1. nicentra93
    nicentra93 Guest

Play to MKV Files

Hi I have a bit of problem, I know the Xbox One is capable of playing MKV files via the play to function on any Windows 8/8.1 computer which I made us of but now suddenly the Play to button vanished for all mkv files, avi and mp4 are just fine but the xbox
    one suddenly refuses to play mkv files.

Does anyone happen to know why? Thanks in advance

:)

nicentra93, Jan 5, 2014
  2. Sundance2014
    Sundance2014 Guest
    Play to MKV Files

I just got a X1 for my grand kids. Do I understand this correct, the X1 will not play MKV files directly to the TV but must do so via a PC?

Sundance2014, Jan 5, 2014
  3. Media Player Not showing MKV files.

I am having the same issue. MKV files are not appearing in the media player browser. All of the other files that I expect to be there are present except for the MKV files.

Is this an issue with only certain encodings being displayed? Wouldn't that just result in playback issues?

An official response would be great. I was really looking forward to the MKV streaming in the October update.

dr bongstorrm, Jan 5, 2014
  4. TheBigBobby
    TheBigBobby Guest

Play to MKV Files

So it's not really an xbox one issue, more a Windows 8.

I would suggest downloading and installing Sharks007 codec pack plus the 64bit addons package. Just a word of advice, those packages (much like everything else these days) contain bloatware - you have the options of not installing them - Just don't go madly
    clicking on next as we all do these days.

Go with the recommended settings after installation.

TheBigBobby, Jan 5, 2014
  5. CorruptDNA
    CorruptDNA Guest
    Its a shame this console didn't launch with a simple interface like a media center app so it could at least do what the 360 used to do. Crazy huh?

CorruptDNA, Jan 5, 2014
  6. nicentra93
    nicentra93 Guest
    @TheBigBobby What do you mean? What does this Codec do and what is bloatware? ^^ What I found out is that I can stream some mkv to the X1 but some I can't so I think it's the bitrate that some videos are just to big to be streamed via home network

nicentra93, Jan 5, 2014
  7. nicentra93
    nicentra93 Guest
    Okay I found it out myself works now, thanks Play to MKV Files :D

nicentra93, Jan 6, 2014
  8. TheBigBobby
    TheBigBobby Guest

Play to MKV Files

Uhhh, a codec is basically the compressor/decompressor of the audio and video files (streams?) within the video file. An MKV file is just that, a 'bucket' (container) that holds a video file, audio file (or multiple) and subs for example... Someone with
    better in depth knowledge might be able to give you a more technical description. Um, to try and think of it this way, some MKV files have the video encoded in say divx and the audio in MP3. You can have a plethora of different combos inside an MKV, that's
    typically some work and some don't. That's why when sometimes you play a movie you can only hear the sound and not the pic.. Again, someone with better audio/video expertise can probably explain it better.

bloatware is software that is installed that you don't need. It's usually not mallicious like that of spyware or malware, just irritating. Normally the developer would get a kickback from someone installing it.. Have you ever randomly installed something,
    you just kept clicking next though the installer.. Everything installed right. But the you open a browser and all of a sudden you have a new unless toolbar? - that's bloatware. That's why it pays to actually read the installers these days before hitting OK
    or next.

The Shark007 codec pack contains the majority of the codecs one needs and sets them up for you. There are loads of individual options on each codec that I quite honestly have no idea what they mean or do. But the setup for these ones is very basic and it's
    like one checkbox "use recommend settings". And if you come across a file that still has trouble playing, there are other tools avial to find out exactly what codec you are missing..

TheBigBobby, Jan 6, 2014
  9. nicentra93
    nicentra93 Guest
    I knew what codecs were just not this one in particular, didn't knew that windows media player actually stream the video to my xbox that's why I had no codec for wmp for 10bit mkv's because I normaly use mpc which has all the codecs i need Play to MKV Files ;)

and the bloatware became obvious in the midst of installing, i tend to have a clean hdd/ssd with no unnecessary programs

long story short, thanks for the tip with the shark007 codec gave you an thumbs up on the initial answer Play to MKV Files :)

nicentra93, Oct 31, 2018
  10. nicentra93 Win User

Play to MKV Files

I knew what codecs were just not this one in particular, didn't knew that windows media player actually stream the video to my xbox that's why I had no codec for wmp for 10bit mkv's because I normaly use mpc which has all the codecs i need ;)

and the bloatware became obvious in the midst of installing, i tend to have a clean hdd/ssd with no unnecessary programs

long story short, thanks for the tip with the shark007 codec gave you an thumbs up on the initial answer :)
  11. TheBigBobby Win User

Play to MKV Files

Uhhh, a codec is basically the compressor/decompressor of the audio and video files (streams?) within the video file. An MKV file is just that, a 'bucket' (container) that holds a video file, audio file (or multiple) and subs for example... Someone with
    better in depth knowledge might be able to give you a more technical description. Um, to try and think of it this way, some MKV files have the video encoded in say divx and the audio in MP3. You can have a plethora of different combos inside an MKV, that's
    typically some work and some don't. That's why when sometimes you play a movie you can only hear the sound and not the pic.. Again, someone with better audio/video expertise can probably explain it better.

bloatware is software that is installed that you don't need. It's usually not mallicious like that of spyware or malware, just irritating. Normally the developer would get a kickback from someone installing it.. Have you ever randomly installed something,
    you just kept clicking next though the installer.. Everything installed right. But the you open a browser and all of a sudden you have a new unless toolbar? - that's bloatware. That's why it pays to actually read the installers these days before hitting OK
    or next.

The Shark007 codec pack contains the majority of the codecs one needs and sets them up for you. There are loads of individual options on each codec that I quite honestly have no idea what they mean or do. But the setup for these ones is very basic and it's
    like one checkbox "use recommend settings". And if you come across a file that still has trouble playing, there are other tools avial to find out exactly what codec you are missing..
  12. nicentra93 Win User

Play to MKV Files

Okay I found it out myself works now, thanks :D
  13. TheBigBobby Win User

Play to MKV Files

So it's not really an xbox one issue, more a Windows 8.

I would suggest downloading and installing Sharks007 codec pack plus the 64bit addons package. Just a word of advice, those packages (much like everything else these days) contain bloatware - you have the options of not installing them - Just don't go madly
    clicking on next as we all do these days.

Go with the recommended settings after installation.
  14. nicentra93 Win User

Play to MKV Files

@TheBigBobby What do you mean? What does this Codec do and what is bloatware? ^^ What I found out is that I can stream some mkv to the X1 but some I can't so I think it's the bitrate that some videos are just to big to be streamed via home network
Thema:

Play to MKV Files

1. Play to MKV Files - Similar Threads - Play MKV Files

2. audio but no video with remote play on pc

in XboX Insiders
    audio but no video with remote play on pc: been trying to use remote play on my laptop from my series s but all i get is the audio from my game with no video. Tried with my phone and worked perfectly. I've tried closing and reopening,...
  3. Can’t update my Xbox. It can’t read the update from the disc and now won’t play any game

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can’t update my Xbox. It can’t read the update from the disc and now won’t play any game: We put a newer game in consol and needed to update but can’t read the update form the disc and now won’t let any game play bca5ba6e-b674-4ed2-ba99-cc56492662bb
  4. Remote play not working properly

in XboX Insiders
    Remote play not working properly: Xbox remote play is displaying in the top left and stretching the rest of the display across the screen, this happened after a good first attempt then this happened every time after. Does anyone...
  5. I'm trying to use my Mobile Hotspot to play Xbox. Connect but doesn't work

in XBoX on Windows
    I'm trying to use my Mobile Hotspot to play Xbox. Connect but doesn't work: So my Mobile Hotspot will connect to my Xbox.And when I say test internet connection, it says can't connect to the internet.I says you need to work on your internet service provider to fix your...
  6. My screen is black and i cannot play any games all it says is welcome and then it goes...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My screen is black and i cannot play any games all it says is welcome and then it goes...: I cannot play any games cus my xbox goes fullly black after starting it it is ig called the screen of death or sum all it says is welcome then goes dim. Help. 112872b3-9401-437b-bc00-910087e4b0bd
  7. Xbox Media player can't play MKV files.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Media player can't play MKV files.: According to this .... https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/xbox-video/mkv-support MKV is supported but at this moment I don't see the 'Play To' on my PC to stream. It seems my Xbox one is...
  8. Error message 0xcd5212 when trying to play MKV files with DTS sound.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Error message 0xcd5212 when trying to play MKV files with DTS sound.: Hello, i get Error message 0xcd5212 when trying to play MKV files with DTS sound. Is there a way to get by this problem ? (Convert DTS to another format is not an option) Is there a plan to...
  9. Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others ...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Digital Video file playback inconsistencies: Why do some mkv/mp4 etc files play while others ...: I have files of the same type and it is a constant guessing game as to which will work and which will not. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. 3b22e73d-c841-493b-85b3-1e4a5b2e9d09
  10. Mkv & M4v files wont play - 0xc00d11cd (0x80070001)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Mkv & M4v files wont play - 0xc00d11cd (0x80070001): Using both VLC app and built in Xbox Media Player app, all of a sudden MKV & M4V files cant play, when up until March they played perfectly fine off my external hard drive Any reasoning why? The...