PC Xbox App updates games even when automatic updates are turned off

Discus and support PC Xbox App updates games even when automatic updates are turned off in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Okay this is driving me up the wall. Context: I have a data cap on my very limited internet at home. Before I moved back home from college, I... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by SpaghettiPolicy, Dec 12, 2021.

1. PC Xbox App updates games even when automatic updates are turned off

Okay this is driving me up the wall.

Context: I have a data cap on my very limited internet at home. Before I moved back home from college, I downloaded a ton of games onto my PC so that I could play them at home. In both the Microsoft Store app and the Xbox app, I have automatic updates turned OFF. Yet, every time I turn my PC on, guess what starts happening? Ten updates pop up and start downloading. Every. Single. Time. I just updated to Windows 11, sacrificing 6 GBs of my limited internet hoping it would fix the problem (yes, it is that limited). Nope, still starts the downloads. I tried updating the Xbox app. Still starts the downloads.

In fact, until I went off and turned off background access for EACH and EVERY game, it would start downloading updates for all games without me even opening those two apps.

It's also worth mentioning that the Xbox app has been telling me that my debit card is going to expire for months. It doesn't expire for another two years.

What is up with the Xbox app? What can I do to stop this from happening? Who can I hold responsible for my internet bill?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

:)

SpaghettiPolicy, Dec 12, 2021
  2. XBF - Dom Win User

Hello SpaghettiPolicy,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your issue!

First, I suggest checking for updates for your machine as this may alleviate the issues you are having all together.

For the first issue about the automatic updates, can you verify that the Xbox app and the gaming services are updated to the latest versions? You can find that by following these steps:

Open the Xbox App
    Click your profile icon at the top right corner of the page
    Select "Settings"
    Select "About" on the left panel

The first set of numbers under "Version" will display the current version of your Xbox App.

Current versions:

Xbox App: 2112.1001.10.0
    Gaming Services: 3.60.12001.0

While in the settings of the Xbox app, I also suggest selecting the "Automatically launch app at startup" check box so the Xbox App doesn't launch and start performing operations before you launch it.

Can you also verify whether or not you're an Xbox Insider using a different version of the Xbox app?

For the "card is about to expire" issue, we are currently investigating and will update as any troubleshooting steps or information is provided.
  3. Internet Expert Win User

Auto update question

If you check Settings > System > Updates, you should see options (in checkboxes) to enable automatic updating.

From what I can tell by these options, only system updates are applied after the console is turned off, even when in energy-saving mode. Game/App updates can be automatically downloaded in the background, but only while the console is turned on.

Some people say that games and apps are automatically updated while the console is turned off in "Instant-On" mode, but I can't find any exact confirmation on this now.
  4. Frathos Win User

Xbox 1x taking too long to power down since recent dashboard update

Do you have Automatically update my games and apps turned on? Maybe that is making the shutdown take longer as the console attempts to update any games or apps that have updates pending before turning off.
  5. SigmaTheDJ Win User

How to connect external hard drive?

"I noticed my HDD blinks off and on whenever the xbox console is turned off."

In the console settings, there is an option to turn off the external storage when you turn off the console, so make sure you enable that. Even with that option enabled though, if a new dashboard/game/app update is released, that will get pushed to your console
    automatically (if you have automatic updates enabled), so the hard drive will turn on to enable that content to be downloaded, then it'll turn off again when it's done. Also, if you buy a game via Xbox.com or SmartGlass, the hard drive will turn on and the
    console will download the game, then it'll turn off again.

That said, there does appear to be a bug in the latest preview dashboard that causes your external hard drive to turn on and off repeatedly while the console is off, even though it's not downloading anything, so be wary of that. I've reported the issue and
    it's been acknowledged by MS staff.
  6. KenwayCreed Win User

Xbox (PC Game Pass) app auto updates games, even with the Automatic Updates option turned off.

Edition Windows 11 Home

Version 21H2

Installed on ‎11/‎29/‎2021

OS build 22000.527

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.527.0
Thema:

1. PC Xbox App updates games even when automatic updates are turned off - Similar Threads - App updates games

2. i cant install apps but i can install games and games updates

in XboX Insiders
    i cant install apps but i can install games and games updates: i tried almost everything, heres the list of all i tried three factory resets change dns use phone hotspot offline factory reset with pendrive use another acc to install restart my router...
  3. Since about a week ago, I have been unable to update almost any game on PC Xbox (Game Pass) app

in XBoX on Windows
    Since about a week ago, I have been unable to update almost any game on PC Xbox (Game Pass) app: Whenever I try to the app gives me the "0xd05e010f" error, whatever that means. Darktide, Palworld, you name it, the only game that i've been able to successfully update was Minecraft Does anyone...
  4. Microsoft Ultimate Word Games app update issue

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Microsoft Ultimate Word Games app update issue: Today, I received an update for the Game. Afterwards the game would not load. I then restored my PC back earlier and then in Microsoft Store app turned off updates. Microsoft you screwed up...
  5. xbox app pc won't update and gamepass games slow download speed

in XBoX Games and Apps
    xbox app pc won't update and gamepass games slow download speed: I recently remembered that game pass carries over to my pc as well so i attempted to download a gamepass game, state of decay 2. As i type this out, the download speed hasn't reached over 1 MB/s...
  6. Xbox app says I need to update game bar, doesn’t work.

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox app says I need to update game bar, doesn’t work.: As the title says, when I try updating the game bar as the Xbox App is saying, I try and there isn’t even an update available. Yes, I tried updating it through the Microsoft Store, it’s up to...
  7. game on xbox pc app just disappeared after i installed an update

in XBoX on Consoles
    game on xbox pc app just disappeared after i installed an update: i mean in windows store i can still have access to them but can not open them through xbox pc app anymore. 4b4b2d92-c073-4270-8c07-7cdbb32edc4f
  8. Unable to install or update games and apps, Installing bar at 0.0% indefinitely

in XBoX on Windows
    Unable to install or update games and apps, Installing bar at 0.0% indefinitely: Hi, I was wondering if anyone has come into trouble of games and apps not being able to update or install on their Xbox one. I have tried everything, a reset leaving the power cord out for...
  9. Xbox app/game installation/updates don't download or stay stuck.(Latest Beta update)

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox app/game installation/updates don't download or stay stuck.(Latest Beta update): I wanted find out if anyone else is dealing with this issue. I swear this wasn't a issue with the previous update. Or is this a complete Xbox issue entirely, not exclusive to the insider program?...
  10. Xbox Game Bar on PC displays message that says update xbox app

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Game Bar on PC displays message that says update xbox app: When I open my xbox game bar on windows 11 on my friends list there is a big area that says " update your xbox app to get the latest widgets". I should mention that I'm in the windows gaming...