(PC) Receiving error 0x80070002 when attempting to switch default app install location

Discus and support (PC) Receiving error 0x80070002 when attempting to switch default app install location in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hello! I am a Windows 10 / Game Pass user who would prefer to install certain larger apps and games on an external drive. However whenever I attempt... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Ian Jee, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Ian Jee
    Ian Jee Guest

(PC) Receiving error 0x80070002 when attempting to switch default app install location

Hello!

I am a Windows 10 / Game Pass user who would prefer to install certain larger apps and games on an external drive. However whenever I attempt to switch the default drive I get the following error:

"We couldn't set your default save location.

The operation did not complete successfully. Try again in a bit.

The error code is 0x80070002, in case you need it."

This is an external SSD drive with plenty of space remaining formatted to exFAT. Please let me know what other information would be useful.

Thanks so much for your help!

:)

Ian Jee, Dec 1, 2021
  2. Ian Jee Win User

Ah gotcha, thanks so much for this information! This should really be messaged in the error somewhere ;)
  3. XBF-JoannaDark Win User

Hi Ian Jee,

Thanks for reaching out to the Xbox forums! I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with installing Game Pass games for PC on your external SSD. I am more than happy to help and provide a solution to resolve the problem hopefully. If you want to install Game Pass games to an external hard drive, they must be formatted as NTFS. Here is a link that shows you how to format your drive How to format a USB flash drive or external storage device to NTFS on Windows | Xbox Support.

I hope these suggestions help! If this answers your question, please mark the thread as “Answered.”
  4. David Wirsching Win User

A game displaying Error code: (0xc06d007e). Not starting.

5. XBF - Dom Win User

XBOX Games will not install - Error 0x0000000- Parallels 17 - Windows 11 Insider Preview - Mac M1

Hello Ivan_Ro5991.

Thank you for reaching out to us about this issue!

Are you attempting to install the games though the Xbox App or the Microsoft Store app? Also, are you receiving any error codes when attempting to install? That would beneficial for us when trying to investigate the issue.

[Let us know if this answered your question by pressing "Yes" below]
  6. Zeroyazi Win User

0x80070002 error when installing apps

Tried all of the above before posting the issue and again after seeing your post. No change in behavior. I've seen that exact message in another issue related to this error and it didn't fix it for them either.

Packages and services all seem fine. It appears related to the folders/non-folders or how the apps are pointing to the drives.
Thema:

1. (PC) Receiving error 0x80070002 when attempting to switch default app install location - Similar Threads - Receiving error 0x80070002

2. Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Error Code 10

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver Error Code 10: [img] Hello everyone, after updating my PC from windows 10 to 11 two days ago, my Xbox 360 wireless receiver stopped working. In the device manager it states "The divice can't be started (Code...
  3. I cant log in to my account and when I do I receive one of several errors.

in XBoX Accessibility
    I cant log in to my account and when I do I receive one of several errors.: I can't log into any Microsoft related accounts. Upon logging in I get the error message "Please try again later, " or "The application has made too many requests. Press Retry to continue."...
  4. I cannot sign into Xbox Live on enabled games on PC. I receive error code 0x80070520....

in XBoX Accessibility
    I cannot sign into Xbox Live on enabled games on PC. I receive error code 0x80070520....: Despite having a Xbox account in good standing, and being able to sign in the app and website, when I launch an Xbox enabled PC game I get code 0x80070520. This impacts both the new Forza...
  5. Receiving error code 0x803FB005 when trying to download the xbox app from the microsoft store.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Receiving error code 0x803FB005 when trying to download the xbox app from the microsoft store.: I'm able to download other apps such as netflix fine. Ive even tried to download it from the xbox website and get problems there too. Ive reset the store and gone through all troubleshooting tips...
  6. Points purchase error in the mut madden store it’s been a week that I haven’t received my...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Points purchase error in the mut madden store it’s been a week that I haven’t received my...: When I come to buy points in the madden mut store it says points purchasing error how can I fixed this ? Thank you 44c4d818-a927-4a93-895b-d108b7a97052
  7. I am receiving an error when I turn on the XBox stating “invalid format “

in XBoX on Consoles
    I am receiving an error when I turn on the XBox stating “invalid format “: When I turn on my XBox . It doesn’t connect to the tv and gives an error message of “INVALID FORMAT “ 7e5141c8-8e64-420c-842e-2135b617330a
  8. I am receiving the error code 0x80070002 when trying to play Starfield on my PC

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I am receiving the error code 0x80070002 when trying to play Starfield on my PC: I am receiving the error code 0x80070002 when trying to play Starfield on my PC (Xbox Game Pass for PC, Windows 11). The only one solution is reinstalling the game (140 GB!) everytime I want to...
  9. Receiving error code: 0x80070002 when downloading, updating, moving games in XBOX app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Receiving error code: 0x80070002 when downloading, updating, moving games in XBOX app: I tried re-installing the gaming service. It didn't work. I have no idea how to fix it. 9fce01ee-3642-4f06-a48d-d19bed1f55d8
  10. Receiving error code "0x80070002" while trying to install Microsoft Flight Simulator

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Receiving error code "0x80070002" while trying to install Microsoft Flight Simulator: So I recently reinstalled Windows 11 on my system and tried to reinstall MSFS back on my system. I received the error code "0x80070002" while trying to install it. And before you ask, I:...