Overheating Xbox Series X Cooling Solution

Discus and support Overheating Xbox Series X Cooling Solution in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; The Xbox Series X is capable of running games much faster than it does in its default configuration. In fact, nearly all games cause the console to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by chugmeister, Nov 12, 2022.

1. chugmeister
    chugmeister Guest

The Xbox Series X is capable of running games much faster than it does in its default configuration. In fact, nearly all games cause the console to overheat and thermal throttle. This is obvious when playing demanding games like Cyberpunk, even looking around the map causes notable frame drops to 5-10fps in RT mode. I initially dismissed this due to it being on a $500 console; I was sorely mistaken. This game and all others run beautifully on the XSX if I simply place a 120mm fan over the top, and it stays at the frame rate cap constantly. The console is cold to the touch while playing in this configuration, and it makes previously unplayable games in RT mode run flawlessly. The stock XSX fan simply does not ramp up enough (or at all) while it is under load and overheating. It’s a shame such capable hardware is limited by this design flaw. I call this a design flaw from a performance and longevity standpoint; as a PC gamer, although hardware can run at its maximum temp constantly, it is a bad idea. Additionally, if the $10 fan I’m using that’s even smaller than stock provides better cooling simply due to full speed operation, I wonder why. I am going to disassemble the xbox and see if I can plug the stock PWM fan into a PC motherboard to control the speed, will leave updates here. But if the fan is capable of spinning faster than the console utilizes it, this needs to be adjusted by Microsoft. I’ve been playing games since I bought the console at slideshow framerate and, through my testing, I’ve found this is NOT a hardware limitation. Nobody cares if their fan is making noise while wearing a headset or playing game audio out loud; it is negligible and typical consumers would much rather prioritize performance.
    Overheating Xbox Series X Cooling Solution [​IMG]

:)

chugmeister, Nov 12, 2022
  2. Georges C. Win User

Hello, first it's a pleasure to be able to help you today.

My name is welcome to the community.

Hello Chugmeister, I fully understand your point, however in this community we are as independent consultants and we have no real power to provide any feedback on matters like this.

You can leave your suggestions on Xbox Uservoice that now works on Reddid to Insider, this will help a lot because they do tests with hardware and games and also feedback for the Xbox team.

Insider Ideas

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxinsiders/wiki/ideas/

Provide feedback to Team Xbox

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/account-pro...
  3. Just a Volunteer Win User

Xbox Series X turning off by itself

In my experience the notification about overheating occurs after you turn the console back on after letting it cool down, about an hour. I've never seen it before it turns off, and only had overheating on a Xbox One X. The side tiny vents were blocked with dust which required vacuuming out every other month.

Haven't had overheating on my Xbox Series X.

Elden Ring is resource intensive. Could you hear Series X fan working overtime while you were playing?

If so I would send the console back to get repaired and / or replace it.
  4. OneHeartHero03 Win User

Xbox series x loud when i play certain games

Havent got any overheating once for the series x yet.
  5. DeRpY SmUrFy300 Win User

Xbox Shutting down

The Xbox Series X turns itself off randomly to protect itself from overheating or when there is no power.The majority of reports of the Xbox
    Series X turning off appear to be related to next-gen games like Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War and Assassin's Creed Valhalla.
  6. carlos rosado1 Win User

Anyone else experienced their Roku tv overheating when playing x series or its games. (Ex. Gotham knights?)

It was the tv...was told that the resolution produced by the series X is a little much for it so it overheated. Ubreak fixed the issue.
Thema:

1. Overheating Xbox Series X Cooling Solution - Similar Threads - Overheating Series Cooling

2. Games Shutting Down to Overheating

in XBoX on Consoles
    Games Shutting Down to Overheating: Hello Everyone, I’ve been having trouble playing certain games like Rainbox Six and Fortnite, this is due to me getting an error message everytime I go into a game, i’ve cleaned my air box and...
  3. Best way to fix overheating/crashing for the Xbox series X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Best way to fix overheating/crashing for the Xbox series X?: Hi community, I’ve been having issues with games crashing for what I think is an overheating problem. Let me go into detail with this because I’ve done a lot of researching and testing and not...
  4. Xbox 360 E (winchester motherboard) false overheating.

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox 360 E (winchester motherboard) false overheating.: So, i have a old Xbox 360 E, where, at some point, just stopped working. So I bought a new video game. Years later, i decided to fix it. So i replaced some stuff and tried it. But then when i plug...
  5. My Xbox series s is overheating

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox series s is overheating: While playing starfield after an hour or two my series s crashes out and the console is very hot to the touch what options would be best to remedy this? 2324ddb9-9967-4e42-85f7-74de6d82ae2c
  6. Xbox Series S Randomly Shuts Down; Gives Overheating Error

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S Randomly Shuts Down; Gives Overheating Error: Hello, my Series S will consistently shut down after a certain amount of time running a game. At first I thought there was some issue overheating because that was the error message that I received...
  7. My Xbox series x keeps overheating when I play Fortnite and switches off the game but it...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Xbox series x keeps overheating when I play Fortnite and switches off the game but it...: Is there anything I could do to fix this 4dadb505-e7b6-4ab3-b382-1c1cda309b61
  8. Xbox series x overheating while playing mw2 online

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series x overheating while playing mw2 online: My Xbox series x has recently started shutting down in the middle of playing mw2 online and when I turn it back on I get a message saying my console is overheating. I bought a external cooling fan...
  9. my Xbox series s is instantly overheating not when I turn it on but as soon as I load up a...

in XBoX on Consoles
    my Xbox series s is instantly overheating not when I turn it on but as soon as I load up a...: within 10 seconds it instantly overheats as soon as I load up a game 3935e64c-7879-436d-af6c-e1b0821607c4
  10. Series x keeps shutting off due to overheating when it’s blowing out cold air

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series x keeps shutting off due to overheating when it’s blowing out cold air: My series x has recently and unexpectedly Been completely shutting off due to “poor ventilation” despite it being completely clear of any other object and heating source, it also blows out cold...