Other MS APPS does not ask for password after xbox app sign-in (fatal security flaw)

Discus and support Other MS APPS does not ask for password after xbox app sign-in (fatal security flaw) in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I have a gamepass ultimate (for pc) subscription (for my son) and installed it on his PC. Once I sign into the xbox app on this pc, he can open MS To... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by aswp, Jun 6, 2021.

1. aswp
    aswp Guest

Other MS APPS does not ask for password after xbox app sign-in (fatal security flaw)

I have a gamepass ultimate (for pc) subscription (for my son) and installed it on his PC.

Once I sign into the xbox app on this pc, he can open MS To Do, MS Whiteboard, MS MAIL! (and I assume any other ms apps) click sign-in and pick my account and windows will sign him in WITHOUT asking for any password.

There is an option under email and accounts, and I have chosen "Apps need to ask me to use this account". However this does not seem to work as intended.

I have a steam and epic games accounts I also install on my son's pc and they are not system invasive and present this fatal security flaw like the xbox app. Is there a way to force sign-in ONLY on the xbox app while preventing windows (and preventing other MS apps) access to the account?

This is a laptop that he brings to friends places, and all the data in my MS account is available at everyone's disposal with access to his laptop.

This is a fatal security risk. How anyone at MS thinks this is a good idea is beyond me. Can anyone advise.

:)

aswp, Jun 6, 2021
  2. aswp Win User

My suggestion for the XBOX's clearly BETA app (I am willing to give MS the benefit of the doubt at this point) is to wall off logins to it, and NOT treat it the same as logins to mail/calendar/todo/ms office. However this is a MAJOR security breach and needs to be fixed asap.

I have logged him into xbox on his pc for the last 6 months. I discovered with horror the other day that he was browsing my mails on the mail app on his laptop. He said he needed to send email to his teacher, opened the mail app and he saw my account listed and clicked on it.

I can't be the only parent with this issue. This needs to be escalated to the highest levels at MS.
  3. Aussie Michael Win User

account error code

Solution 1: Did you recently sign up for two-step verification?

If you recently turned on two-step verification, you may not know how to sign in to apps or devices that don't accept security codes. Some apps (like the mail apps on some smartphones) and devices (like the Xbox 360) can't prompt you to enter a security
    proof when you try to sign in. If you get an incorrect-password error with an app or device, you'll need to create a unique app password to sign in. After you sign in with your app password, you're all set to use that app or device. You’ll use this new app
    password to sign in to your device instead of using your Microsoft account password.

You'll need to create and sign in with an app password once for each app or device that can't prompt you for a security proof.

Sign in to your Microsoft account.

Under Password and security info, tap or click Edit security info.

If you're prompted for a security proof, enter it and tap or click Submit.

Under App passwords, tap or click Create a new app password.

A new app password is generated and appears on your screen.

When you’re prompted for your Microsoft account password on your Xbox console, enter the app password that you created online.

After you sign in with your app password, you're all set to use that app or device. You will use this new app password to sign in to your device instead of your Microsoft account password.
  4. oOUTSIDERo62 Win User

Can't get password to work

I found this on that error code:

You see the following error code and message when you try to sign in to Xbox LIVE:

Account does not exist.

Status Code: 8015D002

This may mean there’s a problem with your account. For example, the security information for your account may need to be updated.

Solutions

If you recently turned on two-step verification, you may not know how to sign in to apps or devices that don't accept security codes. Some apps (like the mail apps on some smartphones) and devices (like the Xbox 360) can't prompt you to enter a security
    proof when you try to sign in. If you get an incorrect-password error with an app or device, you'll need to create a unique app password to sign in. After you sign in with your app password, you're all set to use that app or device. You’ll use this new app
    password to sign in to your device instead of using your Microsoft account password.

You'll need to create and sign in with an app password once for each app or device that can't prompt you for a security proof.

When you’re prompted for your Microsoft account password on your Xbox console, enter the app password that you created online.

After you sign in with your app password, you're all set to use that app or device. You will use this new app password to sign in to your device instead of your Microsoft account password.

Solution 2: Verify your Microsoft account security information

Follow these steps:

Visit Microsoft account.

Note If you forgot your password or can’t sign in using your password, reset your password.

Click Edit security info.

Verify your security information. For example, verify the Phone number, Alternate email address, and Security question information.

Sign out of your Microsoft account and then sign in again.

Try to sign in to Xbox LIVE again.

Solution 3: Delete and re-download your Xbox LIVE profile

For help, see Download, move, or delete your Xbox LIVE profile.

Solution 4: Clear the system cache
  5. MisterFizzle Win User

Problems signing in on 'add security'

Hey there Jessie,

There are 2 different headings for apps. If you are signed up for two-step verification you will have both the option for Authenticator app and App passwords.

1. Sign in to your Microsoft account.
    2. Under Password and security info, tap or click Edit security info.

3. Under App passwords, tap or click Create a new app password.

4. When you’re prompted for your Microsoft account password on your Xbox console, enter the app password that you created online.

Please let us know how that works for you.
  6. XmissyX Win User

Cannot sign in with ANY profile on my xBox 360

Hi Bling Diggity. Since you mentioned that you already tried to clear system cache, I would try these other steps. Let us know if this helps at all.

Solution 2: Verify your Microsoft account security information

Follow these steps:

Visit Microsoft account.

Note If you forgot your password or can’t sign in using your password, reset your password.

Click Edit security info.

Verify your security information. For example, verify the Phone number, Alternate email address, and Security question information.

Sign out of your Microsoft account and then sign in again.

Try to sign in to Xbox LIVE again.

Solution 3: Delete and re-download your Xbox LIVE profile

For help, see Download, move, or delete your Xbox LIVE profile.
Thema:

1. Other MS APPS does not ask for password after xbox app sign-in (fatal security flaw) - Similar Threads - APPS does ask

2. Why does my Xbox not have the Xbox app preferences settings?

in XboX Insiders
    Why does my Xbox not have the Xbox app preferences settings?: I have been trying to connect my Xbox One S to the Xbox app for a while now and it just isn't working. Enable remote features is turned on but it still won't connect. When I look in the Remote...
  3. does anyone know how to turn on background apps permissions on Xbox game bar? "background...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    does anyone know how to turn on background apps permissions on Xbox game bar? "background...: I have been looking for literal HOURS on the internet and havnet found anything. I went to every setting and still nothing. if anyone could help me, that would be amazing....
  4. Xbox app does not open completely

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox app does not open completely: Hello, when I try to open an Xbox application it's just stuck on Xbox logo on black screen. Like I tried some solutions but none of them didn't work. I don't know what to do anymore, If there are...
  5. part of omega ring, latest update does not include thumb stick calib app, even though it is...

in XboX Insiders
    part of omega ring, latest update does not include thumb stick calib app, even though it is...: Hi, I am part of the omega ring and yesterday (2/14/2024) an update was pushed out my XBox. My current version now is xb_flt_2402zn.240207-1700 and my console is the XBox One S. In the...
  6. Why does my controller not select apps or options but in games the controller works...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my controller not select apps or options but in games the controller works...: Why does my controller not select apps or options even though I see it responding but in games the controller works perfectly fine? It also keeps sticking to the top of the screen even though I...
  7. Why does my Xbox one overheat when I load up on games but apps don’t thermal throttle

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox one overheat when I load up on games but apps don’t thermal throttle: I had this Xbox one for almost 9 years I cleaned the console and the thermal paste a 6 months ago and it never did this every time I loaded up Fortnite or Any other game the fans go at full speed...
  8. Does anyone know of compatible Smart TV's that can run the XBOX app for REMOTE play?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Does anyone know of compatible Smart TV's that can run the XBOX app for REMOTE play?: Not interested in cloud gaming, just remote play, so when my living room TV is being used, I can remote play on a TV in another room, without having to buy another xbox console....
  9. Why does the Xbox app keep downloading a game when I never gave it permission to do so?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does the Xbox app keep downloading a game when I never gave it permission to do so?: About every week for the past month, the Xbox app on my PC will download the game "Wartales" and I'll see it in my library with the message "Just installed!". The thing is, I have never initiated...
  10. Does anyone know how to fix Xbox one problem..it will not launch any games or apps and says...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Does anyone know how to fix Xbox one problem..it will not launch any games or apps and says...: Does anyone know how to fix Xbox one problem....won't launch Amy games or apps...just pauses for a couple seconds when I click and says having problem launching 28512a93-5ae7-4129-9a72-604e0ec74a75