Open NAT, but still can't connect with friends who also have Open NAT

Discus and support Open NAT, but still can't connect with friends who also have Open NAT in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I live in university dorms where I have access to a wireless connection (through my own router) or a wired connection which I can directly plug into... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ShredThatCheese, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Open NAT, but still can't connect with friends who also have Open NAT

I live in university dorms where I have access to a wireless connection (through my own router) or a wired connection which I can directly plug into the wall.

Here's the problem, I have an Open NAT when I play on wireless and a moderate NAT when I play on wired, so mostly I play on wireless.

Two of my friends both have Open NATs (they live in the same building as me), yet none of us can connect to each other (whether it be a party chat or any game).

Even when we plug in directly to the wall we can't connect to each other.

Take note that:

- I have tried resetting my router numerous times (and so have my friends)

- We can't change the internet settings in any way because we don't have access

If all of our NATs are open, why can't we connect? Is there anything else besides NAT settings that is keeping us from doing so?

:)

ShredThatCheese, Mar 11, 2014
  2. UNJOINABLE

My NAT is open but can't connect with some friends...heeeelp! Plz...

Álvaro Ortiz Porras, Mar 11, 2014
  3. Ayee JuJu
    Ayee JuJu Guest
    Can't connect to party chat/ can't hear friends in game chat

My NAT is open and I still can't connect or hear friends

Ayee JuJu, Mar 11, 2014
  4. Open NAT, but still can't connect with friends who also have Open NAT

Hello,

from experience I know that most University dorms use shared connection for economical reasons and that reflects on the NAT settings. I would suggest you to test your Xbox Live connection to see if the service recognizes your NAT as strict or open:

support.xbox.com/.../connectivity-solutions

Keep us posted!

DangerousBard, Mar 11, 2014
  5. When I test it on wireless, nothing pops up so I'm assuming it's an open NAT. However when I test it on a wired connection, it brings up a message saying "your online experience may be limited...", so I'm assuming it's moderate.

Most games tell you what your NAT type is and it's always says it's open when I'm on wireless and moderate when on wired. It has never been strict.

Thanks

ShredThatCheese, Mar 12, 2014
  6. taidara
    taidara Guest
    Greetings Shred!

Could you try the following step with a wired solution and let us know if your console is diagnosed with a different NAT behavior.

Go to Xbox Network Settings and select Configure Network. Select the
    Additional Settings tab and Restore network settings to factory defaults.

Restart your console and go to Xbox Network Settings. Select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

Does your friends also use their ownf router, to connect to Internet?

Could you access the web-uitlity interface of your router and find out the WAN/Internet IP address, which is the address used to forwarding data, to and from your network.

Take a note of the WAN/Internet IP address and go to Current IP Check

Now, if this Current Address don't match the WAN/Internet IP address that you see on your router then you're in a topologie that involves multiple levels of NAT, to multiplex many users onto a few public IP addresses. Multiple levels
    of NAT, or double NAT, don't support UDP (User Datagram Protocol) over NAT traversal.

The second problem is when you and your friends (behind the same layer of NAT) tries to communicate with each other and if you exchange the same global public address, this will not work. For this to work, a NAT device must be able to provide hairpin
    or loopback translation.

Post back and let us know how that goes.

taidara, Mar 12, 2014
  7. Yes, my friends also have their own routers to connect to Xbox Live, they use wireless.

I accessed the interface using 192.168.1.1 and went to the status tab, I then went to the website you provided and no, the numbers do not match.

Not sure if this could be useful in my aid, but I have a Linksys E2500.

Thanks

ShredThatCheese, Oct 31, 2018
  8. Hurricane Niz Win User

Open NAT But Still Unable To Join Xbox Live Party?!?! Virgin Media?? NAT behind CONE network?!

Same here. Originally my xbox one showed moderate. I have verizon fios and put the xbox one as DMZ. It switched to nat open. However, I still can't play dead rising 3 with a friend who has nat strict.. I have other friends who all have open nat and they
    have no problem connecting to him.. I'm very confused.
  9. NickZaw Win User

How do i play with friends? Me and my friends always appear offline. Can't send messages to each other, can't send game invites.

But my NAT is open and my friends can't join me or invite me anyway, or even see me when im online. Even those who also have open NAT
  10. taidara Win User

Greetings Shred!

Could you try the following step with a wired solution and let us know if your console is diagnosed with a different NAT behavior.

Go to Xbox Network Settings and select Configure Network. Select the
    Additional Settings tab and Restore network settings to factory defaults.

Restart your console and go to Xbox Network Settings. Select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

Does your friends also use their ownf router, to connect to Internet?

Could you access the web-uitlity interface of your router and find out the WAN/Internet IP address, which is the address used to forwarding data, to and from your network.

Take a note of the WAN/Internet IP address and go to http://checkip.dyndns.com/

Now, if this Current Address don't match the WAN/Internet IP address that you see on your router then you're in a topologie that involves multiple levels of NAT, to multiplex many users onto a few public IP addresses. Multiple levels
    of NAT, or double NAT, don't support UDP (User Datagram Protocol) over NAT traversal.

The second problem is when you and your friends (behind the same layer of NAT) tries to communicate with each other and if you exchange the same global public address, this will not work. For this to work, a NAT device must be able to provide hairpin
    or loopback translation.

Post back and let us know how that goes.
  11. DangerousBard Win User

Hello,

from experience I know that most University dorms use shared connection for economical reasons and that reflects on the NAT settings. I would suggest you to test your Xbox Live connection to see if the service recognizes your NAT as strict or open:

support.xbox.com/.../connectivity-solutions

Keep us posted!
  12. ShredThatCheese Win User

When I test it on wireless, nothing pops up so I'm assuming it's an open NAT. However when I test it on a wired connection, it brings up a message saying "your online experience may be limited...", so I'm assuming it's moderate.

Most games tell you what your NAT type is and it's always says it's open when I'm on wireless and moderate when on wired. It has never been strict.

Thanks
Thema:

1. Open NAT, but still can't connect with friends who also have Open NAT - Similar Threads - Open NAT still

2. My network is good and nat type is open but i still have matchmaking issues in fortnite

in XBoX on Consoles
    My network is good and nat type is open but i still have matchmaking issues in fortnite: While Launching a game of fortnite of any creative map or any mode It gives me network errors I tested everything and its all good I need help a4bbe4d8-e7d1-4269-8327-7960837af66a
  3. NAT OPEN but, the Server Connectivity is still blocked...

in XBoX on Windows
    NAT OPEN but, the Server Connectivity is still blocked...: [img] Help? Someone? ea54d800-dda2-4a8f-bff6-a9f38e80f637
  4. Saying i have open nat type but still lag out of every game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Saying i have open nat type but still lag out of every game: I have an open NAT type and also when i test multiplayer connections it says there is no problem, but i lag out of every single multi player game someone help please...
  5. Saying i have open nat type but still lag out of every game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Saying i have open nat type but still lag out of every game: I have an open NAT type and also when i test multiplayer connections it says there is no problem, but i lag out of every single multi player game someone help please...
  6. Nat type is open, still getting MASSIVE lag

in XBoX on Consoles
    Nat type is open, still getting MASSIVE lag: So this has been happening recently. My bad type is open but I would still get massive amount of lag in the games I play. My sister also has an Xbox one but she gets no lag at all. Yet I get all...
  7. Open ports and open Nat still can't join friend

in XBoX on Consoles
    Open ports and open Nat still can't join friend: This all started when my friend got a new router a few months back(same router netgear c6300bd). Since then we've only been able to play a select few games such as the division, overwatch and halo...
  8. Open NAT but still can't join other players games.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Open NAT but still can't join other players games.: Open NAT but still can't join other players games. Went thru every setting XBOX suggested on my gateway (Motorolla SBG 6580) including UPnP enabling, but still can't join other's games, also when...
  9. Nat Type: Open-but still got SERVICE INFO IS UNAVAILABLE... PLEASE HELP!!!!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Nat Type: Open-but still got SERVICE INFO IS UNAVAILABLE... PLEASE HELP!!!!: hi all... Been trying, reading, investigating, everything!!! From time to time i got the famouse SERVICE INFO IS UNAVAILABLE. Try disconecting from wireless and then when i put it on again says...
  10. NAT open but still getting 'your network is behind a cone NAT'

in XBoX on Consoles
    NAT open but still getting 'your network is behind a cone NAT': Have looked all over the internet for a fix for this stupid error and no one actually seems to have one my brothers xbox gets this message yet i can play fine playing from the same modem im with...