On the xbox app, i cannot change which drive my games get installed on.

Discus and support On the xbox app, i cannot change which drive my games get installed on. in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have an SSD as my C: drive and a HDD as my D: drive. I don't have much space left on my C: drive and would like to install my games to the D: drive... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by GeorgeStarbuck, Sep 1, 2022.

1. On the xbox app, i cannot change which drive my games get installed on.

I have an SSD as my C: drive and a HDD as my D: drive. I don't have much space left on my C: drive and would like to install my games to the D: drive instead. The only advice I could find was to format the drive to NTFS, but it already is (attached photo). I am on Windows 11 which may be important, I'm unsure.

When I select another folder to install to in either the settings or the pop up shown (2nd photo), it says it is unable and to try another folder, but there aren't any that work. Any help would be appreciated On the xbox app, i cannot change which drive my games get installed on. :)

On the xbox app, i cannot change which drive my games get installed on. [​IMG]

On the xbox app, i cannot change which drive my games get installed on. [​IMG]

:)

GeorgeStarbuck, Sep 1, 2022
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.

I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite this GeorgeStarbuck

May I know if you already have selected the drive to save new content?

Double check this via Windows Settings > System > Storage > Advance storage settings > where new content is saved > under apps select the D: drive

Now open the Xbox app go to Settings > General > See if you can select now the D: drive

----

If not, try installing a game or app from the Microsoft Store directly and the check again the Xbox app.

Let me know how it goes
  3. GeorgeStarbuck Win User

Hi, thanks for the fast reply. It was already set in the system settings, and when I select the D: drive in the Xbox app, it allows it but when I close the settings and try to install to the D: drive it still doesn't let me. Any other suggestions? Thx :)
  4. JosefLBohorquez Win User

That's really odd. George let's try something different.

Can be a bit dumb but worth trying it:

Change your drive letter and path, open the Disk management tool (pressing Windows key + X or searching the tool)

Once opened right click on the D: drive and select "Change driver and path", select a different letter like G: or F: (etc)

And finally do the previous steps, select the "new" drive as where new content is saved on Windows settings and Xbox app.

If the issue persists:

Please create a new NTFS partition shrinking the current D: drive (or new letter)

In case you need detailed steps, check this tutorial:

https://www.diskpart.com/articles/partition-ntfs-hard-drive-0310.html

**This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
  5. it's ok thnx 📎 Win User

A game displaying Error code: (0xc06d007e). Not starting.

Thanks. I think I know what the problem with this game was - I have a gaming drive (E:) and a Windows installation drive (C:). the Xbox app on pc always tries to default back to C: drive even if you set E: in settings. When the game updated and was installing, I noticed it was installing to the incorrect C: drive. I quickly changed this to E: in settings and hoped it would be ok, seeing as only a small amount of data had started to install.

I think that's where it went wrong.

Anyway, do you know why the drive keeps defaulting back to the Windows installation drive (C:) for game installs even when you change the drive in Xbox App settings? It's very annoying having to keep remembering to make sure it's changed to the E: drive whenever I need to install anything.

Because of this defaulting the Xbox app also keeps placing an 'XboxGames' folder in my C: root, which I have to keep on deleting before I change the game save drive to E: in the Xbox app settings, so the games are installed to the correct XboxGames folder in E:.
  6. Doctor Hades Win User

Xbox app doesn't remember default install location

Same issue here too.

New Windows 11 PC with a 400 GB boot partition with 109 GB free and several NVMe drives with up to 2 TB free but I keep getting error 0x80070003 while installing or updating any game from the Xbox app because they are being downloaded first to my C: drive before being moved to the drive I actually specified the game to be installed to.

The Xbox app defaults to the C: drive and I can change it to any other drive and it seems to apply but as soon as I close the app and reopen it then it resets back to C:. It seems like a very serious bug or oversight to me because games were installing fine until recently but as my User folder has grown larger and the amount of free space on my C drive has reduced then so have the number of issues with games installing from the Xbox app. I now no longer download any new game or update any existing game from my library that are installed across several drives due to error 0x8007003. I have NO games installed on C; that is used primarily for Windows and non-gaming application installs.

All my games are installed on other drives from D to O, all of which have at least 250 GB free and several of them are almost empty with almost 2 TB free. Yet I cannot install games to these drives because my C drive is being used instead of the drives I am installing the game to! How stupid is that?
Thema:

1. On the xbox app, i cannot change which drive my games get installed on. - Similar Threads - app cannot change

2. I CANNOT update OR USE the Xbox Accessories App. It just says i need the latest update,...

in XBoX on Windows
    I CANNOT update OR USE the Xbox Accessories App. It just says i need the latest update,...: Everytime i open xbox accessories app it just says i need the latest version BUT I HAVE NO AVAILABLE UPDATES. sorry for the caps im losing it. so much has gone wrong in me trying to fix this that...
  3. I cannot install Xbox app on my Windows 11 PC? I get this message: We weren't able to...

in XBoX on Windows
    I cannot install Xbox app on my Windows 11 PC? I get this message: We weren't able to...: I cannot install Xbox app on my Windows 11 PC? I get this message from Windows 11: "We weren't able to install the app (0x80073CF6)" 31635452-d5bb-429e-a940-28a80cf9fb78
  4. I cannot sign into Gamebar or the Xbox app (code 0x80004005), but I can play online xbox...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    I cannot sign into Gamebar or the Xbox app (code 0x80004005), but I can play online xbox...: I think I'm stuck in some kind of sign-in limbo where I'm logged in enough to play game like Sea of Thieves (which requires you to be signed in), but not when it comes to the Xbox social options....
  5. Cannot get Xbox PC app to work, have tried everything I can think of

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cannot get Xbox PC app to work, have tried everything I can think of: I have been trying to get the xbox pc app to run on my pc, I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, restarted the computer, shut down and unplugged the computer, have tried terminating,...
  6. Cannot sign in to Xbox app (PC), sign in window immediately closes itself

in XboX Insiders
    Cannot sign in to Xbox app (PC), sign in window immediately closes itself: So when I try to sign in, the sign in window opens and then closes almost immediately. I saw a post on this sub from someone with the same problem from a couple years ago, and their solution was...
  7. Xbox App using insider build, but I cannot download the insider app to opt out.

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox App using insider build, but I cannot download the insider app to opt out.: Whenever I try accessing the Xbox Insider App, I am told I have to download "xbox-insider2" link, when I click on it to get to the store page I get an error that the link was not a functioning...
  8. Cannot install large games onto my large HDD, since XBOX App requires 4k cluster size,...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Cannot install large games onto my large HDD, since XBOX App requires 4k cluster size,...: Hi, A long while ago (many years), I purchased ONE game from the MS store and after running into so much trouble, I never even considered using the MS store ever again for purchasing games. Now...
  9. Problem: cannot download from Microsoft store or open Xbox app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Problem: cannot download from Microsoft store or open Xbox app: I was trying to reinstall some games back onto my computer (I had uninstalled them about 3 months ago). I was going to redownload them from the Microsoft store. When I clicked install, the install...
  10. Cannot change login account on Xbox App

in XBoX Accessibility
    Cannot change login account on Xbox App: When I am trying to sign in to a different account on the Xbox app, and I click the button "Not you? Sign in with a different account", the app does not take me to a page to input my new login...