Old XBONE HDD removed, can't get it to work as external drive

Discus and support Old XBONE HDD removed, can't get it to work as external drive in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So here's the story: Original Xbox one stopped working about a year after I bought it (brand new), spent 12 months after that trying to get it to turn... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by MortalBog0, Jun 17, 2018.

1. MortalBog0
    MortalBog0 Guest

So here's the story:

Original Xbox one stopped working about a year after I bought it (brand new), spent 12 months after that trying to get it to turn on without success from me or Microsoft store. Pretty much a dead console, but I still wanted my old saves. In the meantime
    I had bought a used Xbox One S. I decided to void the warranty on the old Xbox and take it apart and remove the hard drive. I bought an external enclosure, which converts the SATA connector on the hard drive to USB 3 so I can plug it into my new One S. I figured
    since the drive was straight out of an Xbox it would work as external storage without a problem and I'd be able to transfer my old saves. However I haven't been able to get my One S to register the drive at all, and plugging it into a computer tells me that
    it's not supported. Any advice on how to extract the old data?

:)

MortalBog0, Jun 17, 2018
  2. Move game saves from from one Xbox One to another

My original Xbone suffered water damage and will not power on. I purchased a new Xbone as a replacement. The damaged Xbone was not connected to the internet and the game saves are on the hard drive locally. I want to retrieve said saves and transfer to
    the new Xbone. I have already removed the hard drive and verified it works using an external 2.5 sata enclosure and my pc can see the drive and the partitions. When I connect the drive to the new Xbone, it does not recognize it.

xpinex-[xboxvenue], Jun 17, 2018
  3. Xbox one external storage issue

Hi, I have an issue with external hard drive on Xbox one since the last update (spring update 2017). When I connect the external drive it shows my games and plays it as well as before, but I can't move them to internal HDD, in the game management area there
    are no option such as MOVE TO or COPY TO. also I can't move my games from internal HDD to external HDD. What should I do?

vedad vaghefi, Jun 17, 2018
  4. Old XBONE HDD removed, can't get it to work as external drive

Well the good news is this as long as your One that stopped working was connected to the internet your games saves are all saved up to MSs cloud storage and as long as your signed into the same account that you were on the original xbox when you load the
    game up it will synch the cloud save to the new xbox and you will not lose any game progress.

steeledwand7664, Jun 18, 2018
  5. MortalBog0
    MortalBog0 Guest
    That's what I thought, but when I loaded up just cause 3 on the new console I had to start an entirely new game

MortalBog0, Nov 3, 2018
  6. MortalBog0 Win User

Well the good news is this as long as your One that stopped working was connected to the internet your games saves are all saved up to MSs cloud storage and as long as your signed into the same account that you were on the original xbox when you load the
    game up it will synch the cloud save to the new xbox and you will not lose any game progress.
    That's what I thought, but when I loaded up just cause 3 on the new console I had to start an entirely new game
  7. steeledwand7664 Win User

8. DIPDIP0TAT0CH1P Win User

Backing up XBox games and restoring them WITHOUT re-downloading...

Get an external USB 3 HDD above 256Gb, and you can copy them to the external drive and then remove the drive for storage.
  9. {Parity} Win User

External hdd

Not sure why you would want to do that but you can't just remove the internal drive and put another drive in an expect the console to work. Personally, I would suggest getting a larger external HDD and put all the games on it and leave the internal drive
    as is just for the files used by the system. That is how I have mine set up. I have an 8TB external drive with all my games on it and no games are on the internal drive and it works great.

As mentioned previously, open the console is against the ToS and could result in suspensions/bans for tampering.
  10. SuperlativeD Win User

Xbox One media player won't recognise my Hard Drive.

I'm having a similar issue, except the 2 HDD's that I use to watch movies through the media app have been recognised and have worked fine for over a year. All of a sudden neither are recognised by the app. The HDD's work fine through TV's PC's etc. just
    not on my Xbone.

When I insert one of the drives, I get a notification that an external device is ready hold home button to launch. But when I enter the media app nothing is listed.

Nothing has changed on my HDD and I've had no updates for the Xbone. That I know of anyway.

Any help would be appreciated
Thema:

1. Old XBONE HDD removed, can't get it to work as external drive - Similar Threads - Old XBONE HDD

2. Anyone remember the old Xbox One menu sfx?

in XBoX on Windows
    Anyone remember the old Xbox One menu sfx?: Video of the sfx I just found my old original Xbox One and turned it on when suddenly I found myself on the old menu. Before I connected the console to the internet to update it, I navigated...
  3. Help with recovering old Xbox 1 account (WetJet9)

in XboX Insiders
    Help with recovering old Xbox 1 account (WetJet9): I need help recovering a lost account because I putted all my fallout 3 dlcs in that account and the dlc cd wont budge on my new account any help will do! submitted by /u/Ok-Sweet-6357 [link]...
  4. Need help to remove an old account from Xbox that got an access pin

in XBoX on Windows
    Need help to remove an old account from Xbox that got an access pin: I recently bought a second hand series X, when I’ve got it home and tried it out, all works fine as it should but the old users account is still on the machine. My main problem is removing the...
  5. How do I use a second wireless controller on my xbox one for my 6 yr old twins to be able...

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I use a second wireless controller on my xbox one for my 6 yr old twins to be able...: My boys are trying to play 2 player on Paw Patrol World on Game Pass. I got a new controller so that they could do this but cant figure out how to get the second co troller off of player one...
  6. Can I link my 15 year old account to discord?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Can I link my 15 year old account to discord?: My account is 15 years old but I can't link it to discord. Is there anything I can do to fix it? c55fafd9-5790-4024-bb1f-7fdfa4f47d54
  7. Troubleshooting updating my old xbox 360

in XBoX on Consoles
    Troubleshooting updating my old xbox 360: Hello all ! I've recently dug up my old 360 and when i launch it i get this update error code for which no solution found online works : 351F-4099-2800-0F00-C000-0034 I've tried downloading on a...
  8. As this other person said I wish U could look at your old profile pictures as I would love...

in XBoX Accessibility
    As this other person said I wish U could look at your old profile pictures as I would love...: I hope this really does happen 27301770-5608-4b09-bd41-71ed6fd7e114
  9. Xbox Live/Game Pass recurring charge on old account

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox Live/Game Pass recurring charge on old account: Hi I desperately need help!!! I have been charged for months and months on my account for xbox live/game pass but I have never used it! How can I possible get this refunded?...
  10. Broken xbone "3 months old" bricked by M.S update and killed disk drive.....

in XBoX on Consoles
    Broken xbone "3 months old" bricked by M.S update and killed disk drive.....: I have had the joy of doing all of the trouble shooting for the xbox one due to a system update that crashes the install of destiny, the system will not read disks as well. the retailer tells me i...