New series X has arrived but with a broken disc drive. Why am I getting appalling service...

Discus and support New series X has arrived but with a broken disc drive. Why am I getting appalling service... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I ordered my new xbox series x directly from Microsoft online store and was fortunate to make the preorder. The console arrived yesterday but I then... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Strontium190, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Strontium190
    Strontium190 Guest

New series X has arrived but with a broken disc drive. Why am I getting appalling service...

I ordered my new xbox series x directly from Microsoft online store and was fortunate to make the preorder. The console arrived yesterday but I then found the disc drive was broken and will not allow either game discs or blu rays to be inserted. I went to
    the support page and requested a call back and was told this would take 90 minutes. Four hours later I received a call from Microsoft saying the help lines were closed and I should call back tomorrow.

Requested another call today and spoke to an advisor. He understood the issue, confirmed that the console would have to be replaced and I was given a case number. He then put me through to the sale department who would organise this for me.

Spoke to the sales department and the call taker didn't seem to have a clue what to do. She repeatedly told me to go straight back to the Xbox.com/support page (from where I had come from originally). I explained that I could not see why she could not sort
    out this issue personally. She tried to guide me through the process and had me read out to her what was on the page. Whenever she heard me saying something hopeful she had me click on it. None of it was of any assistance. I remained polite and calm throughout
    the call but eventually reached the end of my patience and asked to put through to a supervisor.

Spoke to the supervisor who then told me that as there were no consoles in stock I would have to wait for more to be manufactured and then try again to get a replacement. I explained to him that I understood it was possible there was a lack of consoles at
    the moment, but surely I shouldn't have to
    try my luck next time stock comes out, and hope that I get lucky. Surely my request should be put at the front of the queue and I should be sent one automatically when they are available? But apparently not. Even though, through no fault of my own, I
    have been provided a damaged machine I would have to try my luck. I relayed to him that this was not satisfactory and had him provide me with a website through which I could make a complaint, but just having had a look at it, it looks like an extremely complex
    process.

I then explained to him that I had purchased two games for the console on disc but obviously could not play them even though the rest of the system worked. I suggested that as an act of good faith I could be compensated by way of a digital download so I
    could use the console until a replacement could be sourced. He said that this could not be done. It was clear that he either was not listening or was unwilling to help and I terminated the call.

Annoyed that this should be left like this I found a customer support number and spoke to another advisor. She, in essence, told me the same thing. But eventually relented and said she would progress this complaint further. She provided me with another case
    reference number, said that she would email me and that I should then wait 24 to 72 hrs for further advice. A. She has not emailed me back B. I have no trust in her claim I will be contacted.

I want to point out that throughout these calls I have remained calm and polite. The call takers themselves have also been polite but they just appear to be either unable to provide an answer, unable to work out how to process the problem or indifferent
    to my issues. I get the impression that for obvious reasons they are working remotely and I could even hear them whispering to other people in the room asking for advice.

My issue is surely this is not how a company as large as Microsoft should be dealing with things. I would have thought the process should have gone something like this. 1) Microsoft send me a product. 2) I find the product is faulty and I go to the website
    for instructions 3) I find a direct number that can deal with complaints and faults and not the option of a frankly useless "virtual agent" 4) I speak directly to a person at Microsoft who logs the issue and accepts that a replacement will have to be arranged.
    5) Either send out a replacement or put me on a list where I am automatically sent one when the become available 6) In the meantime, as an act of good faith, I am given a digital game download or some other form of compensation.

My question are why hasn't it been dealt with in this manner and when will Microsoft give me a straight answer and remedy this for me? Can someone please help me as I am dizzy from all the circles I am having to run round to sort this out.

:)

Strontium190, Nov 11, 2020
  2. Trinitarian-CA21C929 Win User

New series X has arrived but with a broken disc drive. Why am I getting appalling service from Microsoft

Well, i didnt mean just suck it up and do nothing after that i just meant for now. Until you get your registration done, request repair or replacement when its available, then they'll email you a shipping lable. Its easier and more efficient in dealing
    with Microsoft's micky mouse, out sourced, customer support. Those people are jokes. Back in the day when you contacted 18004myxbox they were there when you needed them and in most cases got the job done. And i didnt mean to soumd offensive, again, the only
    point i was getting across is your XBSX can still perform for you but you'll have to deal with it until your repair order is accepted. It sucks you cant use your disk drive and get going straight out the gatethe way you deserve to and expected to. However,
    to think some out sourced customer support is going to hand out game codes is unrealistic. Anyone could come up with a story like that and get free codes so thats not even going to be the realm of possibility. Not saying your story isnt true but especially
    when you're dealing with an oit sourced customer support you cant expect and rabbits out of the hats from them thats for sure. I fell your pain though, its just a big hassle, your not getting what you paid for right up front, you have to adjust and make expections
    to utilize your hardware. Then at some point your going to have to send it away for a few weeks for replacement which apparently cant be done now from what you say. However, when you go and register your XBSX in your microsoft account try and start a repair
    request right away. I mean that representative may have not know her **** from a whole in the ground. Its hard for me to imagine they cant just replace your drive by sending it in. At the very least if you request repairs from the device page it may say when
    repairs are available or it might just spit out a shipping lable right away i dont know. I do know the shipping lable is good for 30days when they do send it. Let me know how it goes from here. Happy hunting.
  3. Trinitarian-CA21C929 Win User

New series X has arrived but with a broken disc drive. Why am I getting appalling service from Microsoft

Well that is true you wont know when you'd get it back yet they should give you an estimate. Id be willing to bet though that the MS repair place will have some back stock to replace it as well as parts. However, if you go youtube and see how easy and simple
    it is to take apart the console one of the first things that comes out after the shell is off is the disk drive. You dont even need to start taking out the mother board or anything else. Its like bam, you take oit 8 screws and you're at the disk drive. I think
    the whole thing with "if we cant repair we will just replace it" is a standard disclaimer in the most extreme cases. If they are offering you the chance to send it in and the disk drive is indeed bad no doubt the official reapir department will have them in
    stock. Moverover, what if its just something simple as a wire got lose and they just have to fix that without needing to replace the drive or enitire console. In your situation id be willing to bet theyll have it repaired and sent back in a few weeks.

On the note of how you feel with MS support I completely understand. The customer support is just a nightmare on so many levels. You have every right to be dismayed by it. On the other hand the process to send the console in and have it repaired and replaced
    worked well for me in the past. I can only assume they are all geared up and ready to go at the repair department. Last thing they need is another scandal. Im sure the repair department learned many lessons from the era of the RRoD issue from the 360 era.
    Recently, they had a class action law suit against them because of how the elite series 2 only had a 90 manufacturing warranty and the failure rate was too high. I just got mine repaired last week. They cant afford a PR nightmare in a case like yours where
    your console came defective and they cant replace or repair it because their repair department isnt stocked up. I cant imagine MS operating on that level of irresponsibly. The idea they wouldnt plan ahead of time and calculate to cover a percentage of the
    inevitable defective units is quite frankly unfathomable. Therefore, on that basis as well as always getting my stuff fixed and returned from them id just send it away to get fixed. Or just enjoy the console without the drive for a few months when you fell
    like its safer to do so. Eitherway, i feel like i did my job connecting you with how to register and request repairs for your console so the rest is obviously up to you. But at least you got that option now and wont have to deal with Microsoft's out sourced
    pitiful customer service representatives.
  4. Strontium190 Win User

Hi Trinitarian,

Thanks for responding again. Firstly, I didn't think you were being offensive and I appreciate you even responding in the first place.

I had already registered the device and started to take your advice on the warranty side. After entering my shipping address I went to the replace or repair option. However there was only one choice and that was to send it in for repair. They then made it
    clear that if it couldn't be repaired it was only then that it would be replaced.

Now as you pointed out that might normally mean a couple of weeks without the console waiting for it to get back. But with the situation as it currently is who is to say that wait wouldn't be for months, especially if people are fighting over them.

Another (of my admittedly many) issues is that why should I accept the same box back but "repaired" instead of a brand new one.

With regards to the game codes that is by no way my main issue, just as a matter of politeness and fairness I thought they would either offer or accept my idea of giving me one. I mean, I have already spent over £100 on games for this console, I'm don't
    want to pay out yet again on downloads when there is probably very little chance Microsoft with recompense me.

I don't deny that I am a very moralistic person and I have spent my whole working life providing excellent customer service. This is both because it was the professional thing to do and I couldn't bring myself to do otherwise. I think this is why I am getting
    so annoyed by this situation. A large company takes my hard earned money, provides me with something shoddy, and then won't take responsibility. That is the kind of behaviour sticks in my craw.

I would imagine that these posts are monitored by Microsoft staff. but the chances of them reaching out to me, or any of us, in order to resolve it are slim to nil.

Thanks again
  5. Strontium190 Win User

I don't feel this is a matter of "just sucking it up". This is more of a question regarding customer service. Nor am I saying that on the grand scale of things this is a matter of great consequence. In a world where people are dying from Covid, the fact
    that my console doesn't work isn't hugely important. But a professional company such as Microsoft should have a better response than this.

But thank you for your advice on the registering the console with Microsoft so to organise a warranty replacement. It's just that I am of the opinion that Microsoft should be automatically doing that on my behalf.
  6. Trinitarian-CA21C929 Win User

Well i guess its a glass half full case. You atleast have the XBSX. Just suck it up and get some digital games or gamepass for now. In a few months when stock is back up go to your microsoft account

and make sure your console is registered under your devises. The warranty should be good for a year so you can start a claim right there in your microsoft account without the headache of dealing with microsoft's outsourced subpar customer service. You'll
    be emailed a shipping lable once they are caught up and able to fix or replace your console. Im all digital. If i had your defective console i wouldnt even know it was defective. I never use my disc at all. Heck for all i know my xbox one x disc drive might
    not even work lol. All in all, id just register the box on you microsoft account and keep trying to get a ticket every week until it goes through, in the mean time id just take advantage of the rest of the console. Buy those games you got on disc digital.
    Go to gamestop or sell those disk games on ebay to get a few bucks back for them for now. I have a worse story then yours yet i wont bore you with it. Suffice to say id rather be in your shoes lol. Good luck
Thema:

1. New series X has arrived but with a broken disc drive. Why am I getting appalling service... - Similar Threads - series has arrived

2. Help! A tap water/ vinegar mix was used to wipe my series x. It has a big dark spot (maybe...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Help! A tap water/ vinegar mix was used to wipe my series x. It has a big dark spot (maybe...: Here is a photo of it. The marks are most likely water/vinegar mix. I hate when There are marks like this. [img] 411af9ba-49b4-47e4-a3fa-6c40e793f6fd
  3. Xbox series X has issues reading 4k bluray discs. How do I fix that??

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X has issues reading 4k bluray discs. How do I fix that??: My xbox plays everything just fine but I recently purchased a 4k bluray disc and and my xbox won't read it. It attempts to read but then eventually stops. 2e6fceb2-3fd5-4ec3-b2a4-06c0ba0fccbf
  4. Xbox series X has been broken since release

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X has been broken since release: I’m very frustrated by this. No games or apps will load so I’ll power cycle the Xbox. Unplug the leads and wait. Go to turn it back on and my controller isn’t synced. Try to use the Xbox series...
  5. My Xbox series X motherboard has broken

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox series X motherboard has broken: My Xbox series X motherboard has broken and it is one month out of warranty, why should I have to pay £290 to get this fixed when it is not my fault, I can’t believe that a £500 console can barely...
  6. Is my xbox s That has a disc considered series Yes

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is my xbox s That has a disc considered series Yes: Is my xbox s that Play disk, is it considered a series? Yes? What is it just A? Regular Xbox One. Sign out, it is the white one. But it's not small. 2b1368f0-cbd8-453b-b261-6ba8a59bbaf0
  7. Xbox Series X has glitchy/stuttering audio with headphones when on a menu, or in an app...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X has glitchy/stuttering audio with headphones when on a menu, or in an app...: My Xbox Series X randomly started having glitchy or stuttering audio issues a few months ago, but only on menus, but now i realized that it effects apps as well (like Spotify, YouTube, etc)...
  8. Xbox Series X has no audio in game, but has audio on dashboard.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X has no audio in game, but has audio on dashboard.: After reading some other questions this seems to have been an issue back in 2022 and has yet been resolved. Has anyone had any luck with combating this issue? Games will have audio, till I exit...
  9. My xbox series x controllers battery pack died and since then my controller has not...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox series x controllers battery pack died and since then my controller has not...: My xbox series x controllers battery pack died and since then my controller has not connected to my xbox I have plugged it in and fully recharged the pack and it still hasn't connected does anyone...
  10. Repair Elite Series X V2, delivery tracking shows arrived Friday but has not updated on...

in XBoX on Windows
    Repair Elite Series X V2, delivery tracking shows arrived Friday but has not updated on...: Hi, my tracking for this device shows as delivered as per day here - https://www.ups.com/track?Requester=RMS&tracknum=1ZY357220491422120&loc=en_GB/trackdetails bus isn’t showing as at the centre...