New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is.

Discus and support New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is. in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have now purchased 2 different external HHD's for my XBOX one S, both are well over 256GB and both USB 3.0. One of the HDD was a 2TB and that told me... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Dawn Mason, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Dawn Mason
    Dawn Mason New Member

I have now purchased 2 different external HHD's for my XBOX one S, both are well over 256GB and both USB 3.0. One of the HDD was a 2TB and that told me that I needed one with 256GB storage or greater and USB 3.0 or faster. This new one is 3TB and is saying I need one that is a USB 3.0 or faster.
    I have followed instructions online to format them. However, I had to do this on my laptop, as the only thing I actually found was a YouTube video with a very old update and perhaps this is the problem, but I cannot seem to locate how to do it on this current update. The only options I have when I click on the external hard drive is "View contents" and "Set as capture location". It doesn't have an option to "Format for games and apps". When I click on set as capture location an error comes up stating "Try a different device. To capture clips and screenshots externally, storage must be USB 3.0 or faster. This device is too slow. (0x80bd003b)". However, both HDD's I have tried are both USB 3.0, so they should both work. I don't understand what else I am supposed to do. The only thing that I think it could be is that when I formatted them I had to do it as exFAT instead of FAT32. Other than that I don't understand what else I'm supposed to do. I even tried it on NTFS with the 2TB as I wasn't aware at first that I would have to format it. Any help is appreciated!

Dawn Mason, Aug 3, 2019
  2. StuartATrueRed Win User

Seagate external hard drive for Xbox one x

Is your Seagate drive a USB 3.0 drive. If it is a USB 1 or 2 then it will not be fast enough to work on the Xbox One. You would need to purchase a USB 3.0 external hard drive for it to work.
  3. Internet Expert Win User

External hard drive

If the external drive was built with only a USB 2.0 connector, you will need to buy a new external drive. If that is the case, I recommend you return the USB 2.0 drive for your money back or an exchange for a USB 3.0 model.

The enclosure must support a USB 3.0 connection. Look for indicators on the retail box that say "USB 3.0".

USB 3.0 connections look like this (they usually have blue coloring):

[​IMG]

The first one goes into the Xbox. Either of the last two connect to the drive.
  4. onyxishere Win User

Unable to format external hard drive

Is the drive USB 3.0 compatible? If not that would be the reason that it is not working. The external drive must be USB 3.0.
  5. LingLing1211 Win User

New external hard drive recognized for media - won't format for games and apps.

Problem Solved! So turns out the problem is the usb 3.0 cable that came with the external hard drive. I went out and got a new usb 3.0 cable like someone suggested on another thread and it worked! :)
  6. FlintyGull79 Win User

HD already filled up due to installation requirement

Need patch that allows the use of External 3Terabytes USB 3.0 Hard Drives on the new Xbox One Console folks!!!
Thema:

1. New external HHD will not work saying it needs USB 3.0 when it is. - Similar Threads - external HHD saying

2. Games won’t play external SSD Xbox series s

in XBoX on Windows
    Games won’t play external SSD Xbox series s: I am trying to play games on my external SSD however they won’t run I know Xbox series x/s spec games don’t work and have to be run off the internal but the games I’m trying to play are older...
  3. Is anyone else’s Seagate external drive not connecting after new Xbox update?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is anyone else’s Seagate external drive not connecting after new Xbox update?: After the update to the Xbox console recently my external hard drive isn’t connecting to my Xbox anymore. I have the Xbox series x and a 5T external Seagate hard drive. Is it happening to others...
  4. External HDD not launching games or apps

in XboX Insiders
    External HDD not launching games or apps: Updated to the latest preview (21/04/2024) and now after I launch an app thats installed to my HDD it just loads indefinitely then stops and gives an error for taking to long to load, when I...
  5. External/ Internal

in XBoX on Consoles
    External/ Internal: Why whenever i install it game on external and it’s done and i try to play it but right when it try to play it, It makes me download it on the internal drive does anybody know why it makes me do...
  6. Xbox one S digital external storage

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one S digital external storage: If I add an external storage to my Xbox one s all digital console, will I have to transfer games back and forth to be able to use them? Or does it work together, variations playing off of the...
  7. Why does sound only come from one external speaker when using the optical output?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does sound only come from one external speaker when using the optical output?: I have a pair of speakers plugged into my Xbox One S using the optical port and sound only comes out one side. I’ve already verified that both speakers do work. I’ve tried changing a few settings...
  8. Can I use XAC with external joystick and separate steering wheel at the same time?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can I use XAC with external joystick and separate steering wheel at the same time?: Is it possible to use a Logitech g920steering wheel and a separate joystick (Logitech 3d extreme pro ) that is Xbox compatible with the Xbox adaptive controller together. Eg allowing me to use the...
  9. Game data deleted on internal storage after installing an external harddrive.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Game data deleted on internal storage after installing an external harddrive.: Game data deleted on internal storage of my Xbox X for only one game (Dead Space) after installing a external harddrive. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, still nothing. HELP!...
  10. If I put my physical game data into a external storage and plug it into my series s could i...

in XBoX on Consoles
    If I put my physical game data into a external storage and plug it into my series s could i...: So I have an Xbox one s and I feel it’s time to finally upgrade to a new gen console. being the Xbox one s has a disk drive I have a bunch of game disks of games I play. Now I have an external...