Netflix behind Gold subscription?

Discus and support Netflix behind Gold subscription? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I know that it sounds stupid and I'm not trying to be confrontational, but as much as I want an XBox One, I don't plan on getting one unless Microsoft... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Joshua CMiller, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Netflix behind Gold subscription?

I know that it sounds stupid and I'm not trying to be confrontational, but as much as I want an XBox One, I don't plan on getting one unless Microsoft removes things like Netflix and other apps from under the Gold Subscription. I understand that it's their
    right to do what they want with their console, but I don't like being asked to pay a 3rd time (Netflix subscription and internet being the other two) for a service that's so widely available and that Microsoft doesn't actually provide themselves. I just don't
    want to support that. I love my XBox 360 and I'd most likely still be a Gold member, but it's more the principal of the thing.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

:)

Joshua CMiller, Jan 2, 2014
  2. TheEgaas
    TheEgaas Guest
    microsoft gold

Entertainment Apps, such as Netflix, are no longer behind the Gold paywall as they were in the past. You do not need a Xbox Live Gold Subscription to use Netflix.

Xbox Live Gold | Xbox

TheEgaas, Jan 2, 2014
  3. BongKaos
    BongKaos Guest
    ISSUES WITH REFUNDS

What refund are you talking about??????

You still have to pay for netflix.... It just wont be behind the Gold Membership Paywall.

BongKaos, Jan 2, 2014
  4. Netflix behind Gold subscription?

I should mention that I have been a Gold subscriber for years and only recently started re-evaluating this sort of things as I've gotten older.

Joshua CMiller, Jan 2, 2014
  5. Major Angry
    Major Angry Guest
    Sad thing is that Netflix does not run through MS Servers, yet they have the paywall. No doubt all the fanboys will come on and defend it till death.

Major Angry, Jan 3, 2014
  6. apna style
    apna style Guest
    so if i have a sub to netflix i use through my phone or pc

and i wish to watch via xbox i have pay again ?

apna style, Jan 3, 2014
  7. [quote user="apna style"]

so if i have a sub to netflix i use through my phone or pc

and i wish to watch via xbox i have pay again ?

[/quote]You only pay for your netflix sub once; however, if you wish to use Netflix on your xbox you will need to have a gold sub in order to do so.

SparkStormrider, Jan 3, 2014
  8. apna style
    apna style Guest

^^^^ ok that seems fair

if you are using xbox live's m/s facilities

apna style, Jan 3, 2014
  9. Auswulf
    Auswulf Guest
    Third party apps shouldn't be behind the pay wall but they are unfortunately. One word comes to mind "GREED"

Auswulf, Jan 4, 2014
  10. Dave Eckert
    Dave Eckert Guest
    Ehh, I don't think i's exactly fair to say Microsoft is asking you to pay 3 times because that'snot even remotely true. Yeah, you pay for internet which your ISP asks you to pay, but from there it's up to you what you
    do with it. Micro$oft only asks you to pay for their service, DLC, etc. Just like NetFlix asks you to pay a subscription service, plus any additional plans you add, if any (Micro$oft doesn't ask you to pay to DL it.). As for it eing "locked" behind Gold,
    I don't think you can sign in even on a Silver acct on XBox One as there are evry minimal reasons for said level of service to even exist anymore, though I could very easily be wrong on this. Besides, there's way many more reasons behinbd paying for XBox
    Live vs PlayStation Network, I use both, though not PSN as nearly as much as XBox Live.

Dave Eckert, Jan 4, 2014
  11. Auswulf
    Auswulf Guest
    You can not use any of the all ready payed for subscriptions unless you folk out for Gold Membership. You have already payed the third party to use the whatever subscription service, payed your ISP for internet access and you have already payed Microsoft
    for the Xbox console in which you now own. We should be given access to these third party applications whether we pay gold or not should be irrelevant.

Auswulf, Jan 4, 2014
  12. apna style
    apna style Guest
    then moan at your third party

when m/s wanted to put the bbc iplayer on xbox they refused to allow it

unless every body in the uk had access to it whether gold or not

so that says m/s will do it if the third party demands it

personally all i do with my xbox is play games

apna style, Jan 5, 2014
  13. BongKaos
    BongKaos Guest

NO.... " because of the way that the BBC is funded, its content can't exist behind a paywall. "

BongKaos, Jan 5, 2014
  14. Malnificent
    Malnificent Guest
    Apps are behind a paywall to make people who only want Xbox Live for Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. upgrade to Gold. A lot of people before cheaper Wifi Bluray players and streaming devices were buying consoles to stream those. After Kinect, a lot of families
    and adults were buying consoles for Kinect games and some also for streaming apps. This way they can't just stay on silver with their limited intended online use. That's my take on it.

Malnificent, Jan 6, 2014
  15. Klokkwork
    Klokkwork Guest
    I still can't figure out why anyone would buy a whole entertainment console for use with one app. It's not like Xbox has cornered the market on ways to stream Netflix on your TV. If Xbox was the only way to make it happen, then yeah, I'd understand the
    frustration. But if you own an Xbox, and you don't love the services on it enough to pay the Gold membership; if it's just there to facilitate your entry into Netflix, then why not go for an alternative? Why all the pressure on Xbox to conform to function
    the same as lesser devices? If anything, just make it so that if you have a paid Gold membership, then Netflix will allow you to stream movies through that Xbox without directly paying them. Then, if you want Netflix on other devices, like phones or PC's,
    you'd need a real Netflix subscription, paid directly to them.

Klokkwork, Jan 6, 2014
Thema:

1. Netflix behind Gold subscription? - Similar Threads - Netflix behind Gold

2. Netflix issue

in XBoX Accessibility
    Netflix issue: Xbox S question. My controller no longer works, so I've been using the My Xbox apps "console controller" option to work my console. It works fine for everything except my Netflix. I just renewed...
  3. My xbox is connected to wifi and I can use YouTube and Netflix just fine. But it says I...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox is connected to wifi and I can use YouTube and Netflix just fine. But it says I...: When I connect to my phone Hotspot it works. And my ps4 works perfectly fine on the wifi. I've tried everything even reseting my xbox 4b418d12-66a4-4a94-b11a-eba588e06538
  4. Netflix on XBox Bypasses Microsoft Family Safety

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Netflix on XBox Bypasses Microsoft Family Safety: I have our XBox set up so that my son gets a certain amount of screentime a day. It's also configured so that an account must be signed in to access apps. I've tested this out with games and other...
  5. Multiple Netflix accounts on one Xbox

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Multiple Netflix accounts on one Xbox: I have been SEARCHING online for an answer to how I can get my Netflix account on my Xbox without signing my partner out of theirs, we have different gamertags and Netflix accounts and would like...
  6. Anyone having issues with the Netflix app freezing?

in XboX Insiders
    Anyone having issues with the Netflix app freezing?: For the past couple of days, anytime I rewind/fast forward something, the video will freeze, though the audio will continue, and the menus will move very slowly unless I close and restart the app....
  7. Netflix stops playing if my controller turns off or I disconnect the charge cable

in XBoX on Windows
    Netflix stops playing if my controller turns off or I disconnect the charge cable: Hi everyone been having problems with netflix recently where if my controller turns off for being idle for too long or if I disconnect the charge cable on my eliet 2 it stops playing what I'm...
  8. Netflix and prime video no longer launch after update this week 4th oct 2023

in XBoX on Windows
    Netflix and prime video no longer launch after update this week 4th oct 2023: Since the update this week both netflix and prime video no longer launch. When you click on them literally nothing happens, the app doesn't even try to open. They were both working just before the...
  9. Problem with netflix after latest xbox series x console update

in XBoX on Windows
    Problem with netflix after latest xbox series x console update: [img] Hi everyone after the last two xbox console updates I am having issues with netflix where if my controller turns off or I disconnect the charging cable I get this error on netflix I never...
  10. Xbox Series S doesn't allow audio passthrough on Netflix and YouTube app

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S doesn't allow audio passthrough on Netflix and YouTube app: Hello, When Xbox Series S audio is set to output uncompressed stereo with Passthrough enabled, Netflix and YouTube apps output uncompressed stereo instead of Dolby digital plus such as Disney+ or...