Need GFWL and cant get it to work.

Discus and support Need GFWL and cant get it to work. in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Games for Windows Live is required to play Grand Theft Auto IV and its expansions. The Xbox app does not net you play this game because the game... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by SunnyLovett, Sep 30, 2017.

  1. SunnyLovett
    SunnyLovett Guest

    Need GFWL and cant get it to work.


    Games for Windows Live is required to play Grand Theft Auto IV and its expansions.

    The Xbox app does not net you play this game because the game predates the app.

    All links to the GFWL download page on the Microsoft webpage now lead to an info page re. advertisement for the useless (and extremely bandwidth and RAM intensive) Xbox app for Windows 10 which as stated will not help me play GTA IV.

    While I can download the app from alternate websites and even after some fiddling from Microsoft, when I try to launch it I get a connection error.

    Microsoft, please replace your useless info pages with a download page for an app that will actually work.

    :)
     
    SunnyLovett, Sep 30, 2017
    #1
  2. ChytráPast
    ChytráPast Guest
    Games for windows live not Xbox

    I cant change it via GFWL .I everytime get error 80004005 and web page telling me i need Xbox to do that so...... How the hell i can change gametag ?
     
    ChytráPast, Oct 1, 2017
    #2
  3. Csbears
    Csbears Guest
    Transferring GFWL account to steam

    I am trying to play resident evil 5 on steam and connect my GFWL account but nothing seems to work. I know that GFWL was shut down but is there literally no way to link it now? my skype, outlook, and XBL account are all in one but i cant connect them anymore?
     
    Csbears, Oct 1, 2017
    #3
  4. SunnyLovett
    SunnyLovett Guest

    Need GFWL and cant get it to work.

    May be related to the pointless Windows Marketplace installation, which also doesn't work.
     
    SunnyLovett, Oct 1, 2017
    #4
  5. SunnyLovett Win User

    Need GFWL and cant get it to work.

    May be related to the pointless Windows Marketplace installation, which also doesn't work.
  6. Ackis Win User

    XBOX on Win10 / GFWL Achievements / Games Question

    First of, let me say - it won't be easy.

    Now into the meat and potatoes of it. There's a bunch of games on Steam that still have GFWL enabled. True Achievements has a good list of them here:

    https://www.trueachievements.com/gfwl-enabled-on-steam/games
    . Generally they'll just work, but some of them will give you issues like Fable 3 or GTA4. For those you just download, install, and hope they work. If they don't work you start debugging.

    For others l like Batman Arkham City, you need to buy the actual game disk to get the GFWL version. You can get it from places like Amazon or eBay sometimes - but you need to be very careful and make sure it's the GFWL version. If you owned the game on
    Steam before it was converted from Steam to GFWL you can contact Steam to get your old GFWL key and it'll work for you.

    For other games like Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, you're out of luck. There's no disk version, and the Steam version for GFWL is gone.

    Hope this makes sense.
  7. ChytráPast Win User

    Games for windows live not Xbox

    I cant change it via GFWL .I everytime get error 80004005 and web page telling me i need Xbox to do that so...... How the hell i can change gametag ?
  8. EternusVires Win User

    Need to activate

    Also if you are having trouble with freezing make sure that you are running the most current version of GFWL and make sure you have exceptions for both GFWL and GTAIV in your firewall settings. The one thing I had to do to get it working with Dark Souls
    was to go into my control panel then to remove program list and get rid of everything to do with GFWL(I had two different things I needed to uninstall) then re-download it from the link I gave above.
  9. Ackis Win User

    GFWL on windows 10

    There's no 100% success method I've found.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/gfwl-steam-windows-10-and-you/9e8ee992-d31f-4898-85ef-c2a05a330914

    Getting GFWL to work on Windows 10 take a bit of extra work. This can be fixed pretty easily by:

    1. Removing GFWL, the Marketplace, etc. from your PC
    2. Reboot
    3. Download the latest version of GFWL from http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/Live/PC/DownloadClient
    4. Install it
    5. Reboot

    Now with GFWL this doesn't have a 100% success rate. However you can try the exact same steps and it'll work the second or third time you do it. Pretty annoying, but at least you get to play your game.
Thema:

Need GFWL and cant get it to work.

Loading...
  1. Need GFWL and cant get it to work. - Similar Threads - Need GFWL cant

  2. Bought a used Xbox enrolled in Insider - Need staff help to

    in XboX Insiders
    Bought a used Xbox enrolled in Insider - Need staff help to: Hello Xbox Insider Team, I bought a used Xbox console that is enrolled in the Xbox Insider Program under a previous account I cannot access. Since my Reddit account is new and I cannot send DMs,...
  3. Need Alpha skip ahead! Can I force tier upgrade?

    in XboX Insiders
    Need Alpha skip ahead! Can I force tier upgrade?: I have been on the omega tier of update preview for nearly a month, I am level 3 on insider, and need an upgrade to alpha tier so I can test a few things. I have tried hard resetting, received a...
  4. please make it where bought online games dont need gamepass

    in XboX Insiders
    please make it where bought online games dont need gamepass: okay so i bought red dead redemption online and i was so happy to try it but when it finally downloaded it told me i need gamepass it seems unfair to me that we need gamepass for a already online...
  5. Disc to digital Problem! Need help

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to digital Problem! Need help: I need help with Disc to Digital. I have a 2013 Xbox One, and upgraded to a Xbox series s. I have a Monster hunter world Disc for Xbox one. I want to get it onto my new xbox. I have no clue about...
  6. Need help accessing disc to digital!

    in XboX Insiders
    Need help accessing disc to digital!: hey there, Xbox Insider Subreddit! I’m an Xbox Insider in the Omega ring and have been enrolled for approximately 4 weeks. My Original Xbox One is currently running xb_flt_2608ge.260805-2200. I’m...
  7. need someone smarter then me lol

    in XboX Insiders
    need someone smarter then me lol: dumb question/post and I know and its in beta lol but I read battlefield 6 should work for disc to digital but mine always says congrats it worked!! but it don't work but I got the GTA remake to...
  8. Does anyone know which ring you will need to be on for the positron update on Monday? Is...

    in XboX Insiders
    Does anyone know which ring you will need to be on for the positron update on Monday? Is...: Just wondering what ring I would need to update my Xbox to get the update on Monday? (I’m not sure it’s been announced yet? ) submitted by /u/falkirkboi [link] [comments]
  9. Serious bug I need to report - can a mod please message me?

    in XboX Insiders
    Serious bug I need to report - can a mod please message me?: Hi, been playing xbox for over 20yrs but I didn't know about the insider program until I saw a friend with a badge. Says a lot about me, I usually just keep to myself and play games. Anyway there...
  10. Disc to digital questions I need answered.

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to digital questions I need answered.: So my question is if I put my disc in on my old Xbox and I sign into my new Xbox without a disc drive do I still get the game digitally on my series s even tho I didn’t use the disc on it since it...