Nat Type Switched From Moderate To Strict... Why?

Discus and support Nat Type Switched From Moderate To Strict... Why? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hi. When my XBox usually shows my NAT type, it is set as 'moderate', as I do not use PnP. Today its showing as 'Strict'. I noticed the change as I was... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by HyJax LTD, Nov 17, 2019.

1. HyJax LTD
    HyJax LTD Guest

Hi.

When my XBox usually shows my NAT type, it is set as 'moderate', as I do not use PnP. Today its showing as 'Strict'. I noticed the change as I was in a COD:MW game and could not get my launcher to come up when switching weapons and this caused me to back
    out of the game (where I got some message I was not connected to COD servers) to check my settings. It was like I was in a custom game that did not allow launchers or something but I was in a regular public match.

My router set up has not changed. I do not use a VPN or proxy on my router. I power cycled my Xbox One and my router and it still shows as 'Strict'.

Did XBox change the way this is done recently? If not, what would be turned off to cause it to say strict vs the usual moderate setting?

(Could not post in Networking forum correctly as it did not contain my router in the choices required so that's why I am asking in this forum section)

:)

HyJax LTD, Nov 17, 2019
  2. HyJax LTD Win User

Enabling PnP on a router or device is a very unsafe thing. This has long been known.

Do a Bing search on enabling PnP and safety and you will find a huge collection of articles on the dangers of PnP. Gibson Research just re-evaluated PnP and has found it is still a huge whole in most security.

So I have Moderate NAT because of PnP being disabled as your entire network can be compromised through it.

And you all trust Google so implicitly, yet they just got caught trying to make 100k patient records public. I just dont get this undying idolizing of Google when they sale more of our data than all other entities combined. Not to mention, this isn't a
    Google product forum. Its a Microsoft product forum.

BTW... I have my DNS set just fine manually to what it always should be.

Now... as far as the last suggestion, no I do not need to reset my router from scratch. After blocking a few players now my NAT is back to Moderate. It had nothing to do with my router.

Im not here to debate anyone on using Open NAT vs Moderate. The facts I give are simply that, facts.
  3. Jadigafer7 Win User

The best way to access Xbox Live features and online game functions is to run your system with the NAT Open. A way to ensure your NAT is open is to change the DNS Settings so the Primary IPv4 DNS is 8.8.8.8 and the Secondary is 1.1.1.1 This changes your
    server to the Google Public DNS server which was established to increase security and reliability.

Here is a link on how to make this change: Change DNS Settings on Xbox

Hope that helps,

4. Real Dangerr Win User

You have to go to your modem or router settings to set everything back up. Xbox has nothing to do with your router or modem resetting. You internet randomly resets often by itself and I mean all internet has to be refreshed at times.
  5. HyJax LTD Win User

This thread can be closed. None of the suggestions had anything to do with what I was asking. The problem has simply solved itself apparently.
  6. {Parity} Win User

Why do you not use UPnP? That is what I use on my router and my NAT type is open. Many times when you show a moderate NAT when testing from network settings once you go into a game like COD it will go to a strict NAT.
Thema:

1. Nat Type Switched From Moderate To Strict... Why? - Similar Threads - Nat Type Switched

2. Why does black ops three automatically set my nat type to strict?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does black ops three automatically set my nat type to strict?: I am trying to play some black ops three zombies with my friends but I cannot join them because bo3 says my nat type is strict. But when I go to my Xbox's network settings it says open and all...
  3. How do I fix my NAT type to open on my Xbox series X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I fix my NAT type to open on my Xbox series X?: Just having trouble fixing my NAT type. 2614125e-f0eb-49fd-9bac-270a7cb428ba
  4. How to keep NAT type as open?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to keep NAT type as open?: Hello. Recently, I've gone through the process of changing the NAT type on my Xbox One X to open using the steps provided on Xbox Support, but after around a day, I've noticed that if the NAT Type...
  5. Y my nat type on strict how to change it

in XBoX on Consoles
    Y my nat type on strict how to change it: Y my nat type on strict how to change it For me please ff130cad-fe47-4e46-a560-655bafd61a18
  6. Nat type moderate trying to make it Nat type open

in XboX Insiders
    Nat type moderate trying to make it Nat type open: Hello I’m using my iPhone 13 Pro to tether WiFi and I’m getting good speeds if I put phone by window like 250download and 40upload and -50latency but I’m in Nat type moderate and I’m trying to...
  7. My NAT type shows Strict, I've tried port forwarding, restarting my router, as well as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My NAT type shows Strict, I've tried port forwarding, restarting my router, as well as...: So my Xbox series X console will work normal sometimes for online gaming, showing I have am Open NAT type, then out of nowhere usually in the middle of gaming, goes to Strict NAT type. Have tried...
  8. How do I change my Xbox Nat type to open?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I change my Xbox Nat type to open?: My Nat type on Xbox says it is Unavailable 5a78e760-9b36-46af-8f01-40b0c7e787ba
  9. Pc NAT type keeps switching OFTEN

in XBoX on Consoles
    Pc NAT type keeps switching OFTEN: My PC (Windows 11) keeps switching NAT types from Open to Moderate. I play Destiny and cannot play with people unless it’s Open and all the posts about NAT types are telling how to fix it when it...
  10. Why for the love of God did my NAT TYPE switch to strict?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why for the love of God did my NAT TYPE switch to strict?: Honestly sick of NAT Types. I was always at open and i checked my NAT type today and i see its been changed to Strict...which is completely useless. I need it to be open and i just dont get why...